Motion Detectors: Infra-Red vs ??

I'm starting to dabble in home automation.

For starters, something called mControl running on a Windows Home Server box and a few Insteon modules:

- A motion sensor:

formatting link

- An AC On/Off switch:

formatting link

- A USB adapter to let said modules communicate with the server:

formatting link
The Question: Is infra-red the best solution? Primary application would be detecting deer and smaller animals in order to trigger something-or-other (haven't figured out that part yet... in order to reduce deer damage.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
Loading thread data ...

Sure, IR will work if you have the right sensor (or combination of sensors). I don't know anything about the Insteon sensor. Is it even waterproof?

Personally I would use a dedicated panel to handle the automation, that way relay outputs can be customized to any level your imagination will allow. You could use industry standard parts and not have your hands tied to a particular manufacturer. The ELK-M1G is highly touted here from those that tried them. I have not.

How about using the motion to trip a sprinkler? That should scare the deer. Around my area people do the exact opposite -- they trigger feeders and cameras with the motion detector.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Per G. Morgan:

That was my initial plan. One of those jobbies that shoots a stream and ratchets around a radius.

Posted something on misc.rural and, from the replies, it sounds like deer quickly acclimate to almost anything that is thrown at them: noise, lights, water.... There's an initial period when they're frightened by anything unfamiliar, but it soon becomes familiar.

One guy said this sprinklers actually *attracted* dogs and birds.

So I really don't know what the other half of this little venture is going to be..... if anything.

But the detection/trigger part is good enough for now bc I also want selected floodlights to come on when somebody's walking around in the driveway or yard.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.