More VOIP/Digital Voice

I think GE should fell privileged that he's dumb enough to keep selling their CRAP... I used to Love Sentrol stuff, and I thought the Caddx NX-8 was a great product also, but I dropped both like a hot potato when the Bean Counters bought them... You know, the same Bean Counters that will compete with Installing Dealers by selling to Lowes & Home Depot :-(

Reply to
Russell Brill
Loading thread data ...

They sell Simons at Home Depot (and not very well), how is that competition to you?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Pardon me. I guess I'm not making myself clear. Both systems offer lots of zone capability. Both offer multiple partitions. Both offer remote expanders. Napco alone offers a keypad with built-in four zone expander which in many cases is all you need for a remote partition. In large, residential applications and many mid-sized commercial jobs, that's all you need for a remote structure.

I've protected a number of foundries which had been converted into multiple tenant, commercial space. In several of these we used the Napco Gemini P9600 control with 8 keypads, one per partition. One place in particular was especially easy due to its layout. Stretched along two ~200 foot corridors were a series of office modules. Each had two doors and one motion detector. We daisy chained an 18/2 cable for detector power and another 18/4 for the keypads. There were 16 units in the building. Twp Napco P9600 systems protected all of them. The building owners paid for the installation and each tenant paid $15 a month for monitoring, including open & close reports. No one else offered anything close in price or quality yet we made over $2800 a year for the monitoring.

BTW, this was one of the few places I took over where ADT corporate had done a poor job. There was a fire alarm system there, an old one which ADT had taken over. They were charging an astronomical sum for monitoring and quarterly testing. Unfortunately, whoever was supposedly testing it had shunted out numerous devices, including two or three waterflow sensors, most of the valve tampers, etc. After a small fire the insurer found the problems and raised waco. The owners had us replace the panel with a Silent Knight unit. We weren't UL listed, but the hardware was and we brought the system up to spec. I had to contract out the inspections but we got the monitoring contract anyway.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

zone capability. Both offer multiple partitions. Both

expander which in many cases is all you need for a

commercial jobs, that's all you need for a remote

tenant, commercial space. In several of these we used

in particular was especially easy due to its layout.

had two doors and one motion detector. We daisy

There were 16 units in the building. Twp Napco P9600

Uh Huh! Let's see now.

What's the current draw of 8 EZM keypads and 8 motion detectors? And what's the max Aux current of a 9600?

Reply to
Jim

tWW of a 9600? STANDBY-BATTERY CALCULATION WORKSHEET

Let's do the arithmetic!

Use the procedure given below to determine the required standby battery capacity in Ampere-Hours (AH). NOTE: It is not totally accurate

to merely multiply the combined standby current (in amperes) by the standby time (in hours) to obtain the battery capacity (in

ampere-hours), since other factors (control-panel charging capabilities, temperature, battery condition, etc.) affect battery operation.

The following calculations will yield the theoretical minimum required capacity.

1. STANDBY CURRENT

STANDBY CURRENT (Amps)

DEVICE QTY EACH TOTAL

GEM-P9600 1 X 0.120 =

GEM-EZM4/8 X 0.050 =

GEM-EZM8 X 0.050 =

GEM-RP1CAe2/

GEM-K1CA

X 0.100 =

GEM-RP1CAe2/

GEM-K1CA (1)

X 0.035 =

GEM-RP2ASe2/

GEM-K2AS

X 0.065 =

GEM-RP2ASe2/

GEM-K2AS (2)

X 0.020 =

GEM-RP3DGTL/

GEM-K3DGTL

X 0.050 =

RM3008 (3) X 0.040 =

X =

X =

TOTAL STANDBY CURRENT

Amps

(1) Alarm current drawn in alarm.

(2) Alarm Time in Hours. Example: For a 15 minute alarm timeout, Alarm Time =

15/60 = 0.25.

1. ALARM CURRENT

ALARM CURRENT (Amps)

DEVICE QTY EACH TOTAL

TOTAL STANDBY CURRENT (from Box 1, above)

GEM-P9600 (1) X 0.100 = 0.100

BELLS X =

STROBES X =

HORNS / STROBES X =

X =

X =

Amps

TOTAL ALARM CURRENT

(1) Backlighting disabled (cut Jumpers W1, W2 & W3).

(2) Backlighting disabled (cut Jumpers A, B & C).

(4) Standby Time in Hours.

(Box 1)

X

Hours

=

AH.

(Standby Time)(4) (Box 2)

X

Hours

=

AH.

(Alarm Time)(2) (Box 3)

MINIMUM REQUIRED BATTERY CAPACITY = BOX 2 + BOX

AH.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Knock yourself out. With a Napco auxiliary power supply the P9600 has a rated standby current capacity of 1.4 Amps. Eight keypads together draw 280mA (backlight off) and 800mA (backlight on). I don't recall which motions we used but most times I used the Visonic K-980D which draws less than 30mA in quiescent state.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

big deal. you still have to buy a keypad just like networx.

Reply to
Don

What you *don't* have to buy or install with Napco is a separate zone expander, power supply and cabinet.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

only if you need more than 16 on nx8

don't need them either. unless you need more than 1 amp on nx8. if you do need more power the nx320e will fit with both 7 ah batteries in the can and add 2 amps.

does that come with all napco keypads or do you have to pay extra for the one with the 4 zone xpander?

Reply to
Don

standby current capacity of 1.4 Amps.

I'm sure that while your "heart" is in the right place, your terminology is a bit "wonky" here. I've never heard of a "rated standby current capacity" being applied to an auxiliary power supply. That phrase has more to do with the *battery* rating. I believe dropping the "standby" would probably convey what you're trying to say a bit better, in that the total auxiliary power supply *capacity* of the panel is increased to

1400 mA with the inclusion of the Napco auxiliary power supply. This, of course has nothing to do with the amount of time the equipment will function in the event of a power failure. Roland's forumlation derives the required battery size for a given equipment current draw over a given period of time (regardless of the size of the power supply). Of course other limitations come into effect here as well (such as the charger's capacity and whether or not a low battery cut-off circuit is incorporated to prevent too deep a discharge on the larger capacity batteries).
Reply to
Frank Olson

need more power the nx320e will fit with both 7 ah

with the 4 zone xpander?

We're talking about the ability to use just a single keypad for a remote partition. Caddx cannot do that. The Napco RP1-CAe2 is an LCD "custom English" display keypad. It includes the 4-zone expander. Caddx doesn't have an equivalent product. Note that you can use that keypad for zone expansion of the primary partition as well. In fact, any zones -- keypad, main panel or expansion unit -- can be assigned to any or all partitions.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

9600 = 750ma 2A alarm output

RP1CAe2 Alpha = 100ma

standard motion 30 to 50ma

thats all you had to say jeez

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You might try re-reading the manual, standby is 750ma

rated standby current capacity of 1.4 Amps. Eight keypads

recall which motions we used but most times I used the

Reply to
Mark Leuck

And the zone expander can be anywhere

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Roland

Can too. you must have been infected with balonium 210.

dont need one, use zone doubling

whoop te do

Reply to
Don

heh, heh, heh :-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes I noticed

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You can zone double Napco, the thing is for most installations the keypad zones won't be used and with zone expanders it's an easy setup with any brand

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It's 35mA with the backlight turned off.

Our favorite unit draws less than ~28mA.

With eight of each that's just over 500mA + 140mA for the panel comes to 640mA. The system is rated for standby current up to

1,400mA (1.4Amps) and alarm current up to 1,900mA (1.9Amps).

Any questions?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.