More VOIP/Digital Voice

Is this Joe? I'll fax it in within a week or so. (Been real busy in Mexico the last few weeks/months.) I didn't bother to send it in since it said "stop by and pick one up." If you will send me one I'l be glad to throw it on the office panel and see how it performs for a month or three.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

I just replaced it with a v50 P3200 to test the NET-MOD stuff, the 1664 was nice although I don't know what purpose it will serve unless they wanted a cheaper panel with more than the 3200 could do, problem is its not in the same family and instead just a larger 1632

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If you want simplicity go Honeywell, anything else will require knowing ip addresses, gateways, DNIS servers etc

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I take that to mean "not the same quality as the 3200"...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Not at all, quality is the same however the family and therefore available functions are different, the panel belongs in the lower-end 816/1632 family and not the 3200/9600/X255 even though it has more zone capability than the

3200, For instance the internet module works better on the 3200 than the 1664.
Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yep, Its really a shoe in for the 9600 and X255. It gives full reporting. Its my understanding its more like the Uplink 1500 of ip communicators for other panels.

I don't use the 3200. Its not enough cheaper than the 9600 to justify using, and for most applications the 1632 does the job more than adequately. I'll have to look and see how the 1664 is packaged and priced. A few more zones are useful much more often than the extra handful of features for the

3200/9600/X255 family. About the only time I use one of those is if I need more than 2 partitions. Actually for those applications I prefer the Caddx NX8E with its full feature modular expansion. Need another partition because the client needed another building? Add an expansion module and box in the other building and then just run 4 wires back to the keypad bus of the main panel. Its kinda awkward to program compared to the 9600, but otherwise its a lot easier to expand and cover more areas.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

I do the same thing with the P9600. One recent DIY client was a church near Phoenix. They have three auxiliary structures near the main building. Each out building only needed a few zones so I sold them three extra RP1-CAe2 keypads. The four on-board zones on each keypad are assigned the same partition as that keypad. This works like a charm for the customer without needing a separate zone expander in each building.

In my own church in CT I did the same thing though we only had one out building which was first used as office space but has since been converted to storage. The building, which had a single conduit for data cabling, was about 700 feet from the main building. I put an RP1-CAe2 in there along with a small Altronix power supply, a stand-alone siren and a Napco programmable relay board. We could have installed a separate system for less money but I wanted the ability to arm it from the front building.

We did this or something similar to it many times using P9600 and P3200 systems in residences with detached garages, tool sheds, barns, etc.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep, but you have to pay AlarmNet and deal with their billing system and their "technical support". We do accept AlarmNet-I, we just don't like the Administration required by the Central Station when working with AlarmNet. We made our own to cut-out the administration involved with the middle-man. And, we can do full reporting on any most panel, not just specific manufacturers and models of panels.

But, if you are using Ademco equipment and don't mind working with AlarmNet then I'm sure AlarmNet-I is a good option. I've never worked with one directly and only have one or two dealers who have ever used it. Apparently the AlarmNet-I units are a bit pricey (compared to $150). My biggest problem with AlarmNet-I (and -A and -C and -GSM) is that it has to go to New York first, then come back to Me. We've seen signals get hung-up between here and AlarmNet that got delivered several hours later because AlarmNet didn't notice there was a problem between Phx and NY. I don't care for systems that require a third-party relay. For best reliablity, alarm signals should go Directly to the Monitoring Center without other uncontrollable entities in the middle of the transmissions. But maybe that's just me being a control freak.

Functi> > Well, why didn't you Say So. I'd be happy to Send you one. Did you

Reply to
JL

Just make sure the 9600 and X255 are up to date in the firmware, I had to upgrade to 3200 to v40

Why use Napco when the 8E pretty much does it all? I love the 8E

(and has better software AND easier to keypad program)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

With the ENT series you don't have to go through AlarmNet.

They initially were however at the time the monitoring was free, now they cut the price of the 7845I and Symphony and have a small charge for the monitoring

My biggest problem with AlarmNet-I (and -A and -C and -GSM) is

We've had some problems in the past but that appears to have been cleared up and that was only on the older C, not I or GSM. Also the third party relay IS the reason it's so easy to install since you don't have to program IP addresses

Well I'm in a central station as well and I don't see the nightmare in administration, they are constantly improving the web page and it's a far cry than what they started with, now if only TelGuard would get theirs up nd running...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I have housing development agreements in place with Napco.

Oh, yeah the 8E is easier to keypad program. Almost anything is easier than Napco address programming. Personally i like the Napco DOS software better than any other software I have used, but they no longer support it with new panels and panel features.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Joe works for a central station that is doing a lot of its own developing and innovation directly. One of the reason I use them. Cool toys, and they work.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

building which was first used as office space but has since

cabling, was about 700 feet from the main building. I

stand-alone siren and a Napco programmable relay board. We

to arm it from the front building.

Ah... You mean from the keypad that read: "Attention Burglar! Go ahead, make my day."

Reply to
Frank Olson

I don't think you have ever used a Caddx 8E remote expansion Robert. Its more like a complete panel in itself as far as connectivity, power supply, siren outputs, zones, etc...Far superior for a distributed commercial/industrial system to the P9600 w/ EZMs or RP1CAe series keypads. Increased, battery to cover that module, additional load capacity for that module, full supervison unlike piggy backing an extra PS onto a Napco panel. Napco is good stuff, but for big systems this is way better.

I've got a couple 9600s in the field that I wish I had these in instead.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You're right. He hasn't. He's probably attended the seminars though. ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I sell far more Napco and Ademco than Caddx. For many applications like the ones I mentioned the Napco solution is ideal. For a large-scale, commercial application I *might* choose something else. However, Napco does allow me to use remote zone expansion units, 8-port programmable relay expanders, power supplies, etc. The difference is with Napco I can just use a keypad for remote zone input when the job doesn't call for all that hardware. That can represent a significant time and money savings to the DIY end user.

Actually, it is easy to fully supervise an auxiliary power supply with Napco

*if* I need the power supply. In many cases it's not even needed.

Personal choice. I've been using Napco for decades. Everything you mention can be done with Napco when needed. I like the option to make it simple or complex. Also, since most of my DIY customers are residential, there rarely is a need for all the add-ons.

If they really want commercial power in an alarm, they can always use the Ademco / Honeywell Vista-128. BTW, I have numerous DIY customers using that system. It' more advanced and larger than the Vista-20P but it's not really much harder to use. There's just more to do and more options to select. It's like the difference between a Napco P3200 and an ELK-M1G. I have lots of DIY customers using both of those as well.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You're probably right because they wouldn't let him stay at a Holiday Inn.

Reply to
Jim

so does networx

Reply to
Don

Really? And the Caddx (Networx) part number for the keypad with built-in 4-zone expander is???

The point is that with Napco you have a choice. You can use a power supply, zone expander and programmable relay outputs per partition OR just use an RP1-CAe2 keypad with built-in four zone expander. With Caddx you have to use a separate expander, cabinet and keypad per partition. I like the flexibility that Napco offers. I also prefer the way they respond when I need them. GE is

*s-l-o-w". In fact, GE now says they process new orders 2 days after receiving them and average shipping delay days after that, not including the time it takes them to drop ship to my customers.

Don't misread me on this. I like a lot of GE Security's products and I sell lots of them. But they need to take a cue from some of the smaller manufacturers when it comes to customer service.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

don't need it with zone doubling.

You should fell priviledged, at least they still take your orders. a lot got cut out during the transition.

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.