Moose Z900 Software

Funny how often the simplest solution solves the problem.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

RHC: Yeah, or the most obvious. I have done that myself a number of times.

I have also found that some makes of panels tolerate the high speed "hiss" of DSL on the line much better than others. For example, Paradox virtually always ignores it and always transmits through the "hash" with no troubles. DSC on the other hand, always needs a DSL filter ..!!! ...just the technology each uses I guess...

Increasingly today, you really have to make upfront queries as to what means of telecommunications the client plans to use for his alarm panel before even going out to give the client an on site quote. This weeds out the VoIP clients right up front.

Sometimes the most "obvious" is not so obvious, because when we get too close to things, we can't "see the forest for the trees"....:))

Reply to
tourman

You really shouldn't exclude all VoIP clients, Bob. VoIP is, like it or not, the communications medium of the future. Instead, you might want to look into VoIP compatible alarm control panels. Napco's panels communicate over VoIP lines if you select Contact ID format. I have hundreds of clients using them with VoIP and so far they're all working fine.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Nope. Though I do use DSL filters when DSL is present, I have discovered DSC panels that have worked consistently for many years without one...!!!

Reply to
alarman

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

RHC: I have tried many of the Paradox and DSC lines of panels on VoIP using Contact ID, and with one exception, NONE have given me reliable, CONSISTENT transmission over time. I've had one even transmit the wrong account number during an alarm. With daily tests, the best I could ever get is four days out of seven.....!!!! People who think they are working just fine may well be fooling themselves.

I realize where VoIP fits in the telecommunications market, and you are quite correct; it IS the wave of the future. I love Skype and I use it all the time. But that is voice, not alarm transmissions. Alarms have to work all the time, every time !! And since I do not intend to take on more than these two lines of panels, that means I have to turn away this business.

So be it ! At this stage of my business, I am "cherry picking" anyway, and I assuredly don't want to take on any "iffy" situations (and alarms and VoIP are definately "iffy" in my experience and I suspect this is regardless of the make of panel)

It's never been only about the money with me. I take on only the business I want and turn away the rest........

Reply to
tourman

True. (Spelt correctly with goodest grammer)

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Same with DMP, I've never put a DSL filter on one yet.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

CONSISTENT transmission over time...

That is why I keep telling you to look at Napco. Their stuff works reliably. It's feature rich and reasonably priced (though not as cheap as DSC).

If you insist on staying with DSC and Paradox, you're probably not going to be able to service folks with VoIP. The problem is VoIP is slowing taking over not just the local services but also inter-city transmissions. Some phone companies have already switched their long-distance services to digital and the rest will most assuredly follow within the next few years. Stick with panels that can't get through and you'll saddle your son with major problems in the future.

I disagree. Some panels have lots of trouble with VoIP. Others simply do not. As to cherry picking, I seem to recall several years ago you were planning to retire at 500 accounts or some such number. Instead you've kept on plugging away, taking over clients of some of the dummies, adding new clients of your own and so on. In short, Never say "never," my friend. :^)

Same here. Problem is I want most of it. :)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

RHC: Napco is almost unknown up here. Only one distributor stocks it and only one company to my knowledge installs it. As good as it might be, I have no desire to take on any additioinal panels lines. If I did, it would definately be Ademco, since I have turned away hundreds of Ademco takeovers over the years. Two panel lines is plenty thank you...:))

RLB: If you insist on staying with DSC and Paradox, you're probably not going to be

RHC: There are any number of internet modules coming along which promise reliable internet transmission. I'll certainly try these before I take on any additional makes of panels. I will try to make VoIP work if they switch without advising me (after they sign a special contract regarding this unreliable form of transmission), but at the first sign of trouble, I disconnect them. This has happened far too often to really have any faith in this form of transmission....

RHC: So be it ! At this stage of my business, I am "cherry picking" anyway, and I

RLB: I disagree. =A0Some panels have lots of trouble with VoIP. =A0Others simply do

RHC: Yeah, I'm about double in size to what I wanted to be, but I have reached that "glass ceiling" where natural attrition almost equals new additions. It's pretty hard to break over that barrier (assuming I even wanted to). I know a number of other companies who's owners are good friends of mine, and some of them have hit that same roadblock.

RHC: It's never been only about the money with me. I take on only the business I want and turn away the rest........

RLB: Same here. =A0Problem is I want most of it. =A0:)

RHC: Not for me ! I pay far too much tax up here. I have no desire to work harder only to pay more to the government so they can piss it away on left wing, Liberal, do nothing, feel good social programs. I'm already paying off a GST (General Sales Tax) debt that Revenue Canada audit insists I owe, that's in to double digit figures. Enough is enough !!!!!!!!

No, my RMR's "siren song" has totally won me over. I will "live off the proceeds" for awhile longer and spend more time enjoying life (which is too short as it is). I'd rather spend my time enjoyably looking after my existing customer base well , than scrambling for new ones.

I would think, having gone through what you have gone through, and having come out of it as you have, you would feel a lot like that as well......life is too short my friend....:)))

Reply to
tourman

Coming along? Honeywell has had a reliable one since about 2002

Reply to
mleuck

nd alarms and VoIP

friend. =EF=BF=BD:^)

Is it OK if I say ...... I told ya so? ;-)

If not ........... I'll take it back.

By the way ..... although you say you are not interested .... just in case you'd like to pass it on to your son, .... the way to break through so that the business can reach the next plateau, is to purchase a block of accounts from someone. As much trouble as you might encounter and anticipate, someone who has reached that level and has a good hold on profit, will eventually reconcile the deficiencies in the new accounts and that's when you begin your next spurt of growth.

You never know how far your son will decide to take the company or may have to .... to meet income requirements in the future. I'm sure he'll have kids to put through college. A......N.......D He's got the one advantage that you don't. Time.

Reply to
Jim

And? IMO, that makes little to no difference. The clients will buy what you recommend if they see that you believe in the product.

Smart folks.

Honeywell (nee: Ademco) is fine but from what I hear, they also have problems with VoIP. Don't get me wrong on this. I sell hundreds of Honeywell systems every year, mostly Vista-20P but we also move a fair number of their big Vista-128FBP, etc. Their stuff is rock solid though not as flexible as Napco. The problem you're going to need to address, sooner or later, is VoIP compatibility. Every system you install today will eventually hit that wall. I'd drop DSC, pick up Napco and voila, two panel lines again.

True, but how many sites do you want to have to revisit, all in a rush, when your local telco decides to use VoIP for everybody? I remember when Connecticut decided to split into two area codes instead of one. By now there are probably a lot more but at the time alarm companies were scrambling to visit every non-downloadable site they had -- for some companies that meant tens of thousands of them -- just to reprogram the central station receiver numbers. Using Napco's PC Preset app, we reprogrammed scores of sites every day for about a month without visiting any of them. If those systems had suddenly become inaccessible by modem, we'd have been ashburied.

I fully understand. The only way to get past that point is to hire more salesmen and installers possibly while also expanding your area of coverage. I'm sure that is of no interest to you at this point either.

Yeah, tell me about it. Oh, well.

Hey, watch it there, buster. You're talking to a left-wing, liberal do

*everything* promnoter of social programs. :^)

Double digit? As in over $10??? Heck, man. Just pay it.

As you know, I've come to really appreciate whatever time I may have. I feel the same about enjoying whatever free time I can muster up. In fact, I'm already preparing for my next trip to you-know-where. :^)

Yep. 100%

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
alarminstall

I know this is seriously an old post, but do you happen to either still have this software or the password used to decrypt it?

Thanks

Reply to
KJ7BZC

Z900? Really? Yeah, its a seriously old post. Ancient. Archaic even.

Its a tiny generic archaic panel. Just replace it. Seriously. I know. I know. You want somebody to reveal on a public newsgroup industry secrets so you can save a couple sawbucks, but its just not worth it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

But - - - - -but - - - - it - - - it - - - it - - - could be MORE than $10.00 whole dollars ! ! ! ! En I PROMISE I won't tell anyone what the secret code is. Why I never - EVER even gave away the secret code on my Sky King decoder ring. or even on my Orphan Annie decoder when I was a kid, so you know you can trust me.

Reply to
Jim Davis

LOL Since this was posted I have been trying to remember if the software he desires is called RPM2PRO or Transport-PC. Either way I might have either somewhere but would have to move MOUNTAIN to find it. Even then this guy would need at least a WIN98 machine to potentially run it as well as a Hayes 1200 Smartmodem and POTS telephone line.

WoW!!! I haven't typed those words in so many years I am surprised I even remember most of them. LOL

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Transport-PC is the older software RPM2PRO was the last, both pretty much have to run in DOS, it never worked well in Win95 or 98

Easier just to keypad program the panel

Reply to
mleuck

I found a lot of small panels of only slightly newer vintage were pretty much dead easy to keypad program. XL-2(s/g/t) P800/801 etc.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Up until the end of 2016 I had a machine in my file room running PC-DOS

7.0. I ran it because it freed up more base memory than MS-DOS. I had modems attached to it every which way. I think I sent you most of those modems. I gave the computer to the company that bought my alarm accounts, but they started trying to nickle and dime me and take advantage of me so I kept all the modems. I really got annoyed when I realized their techs were calling me for modern panels INSTEAD of tech support. In fact it was while I was in the field doing a service call for them were they replaced a perfectly good panel and still couldn't program it that I discovered the second way to get into a P16XX series panel without the dealer code that works with the newer P16XX panels and the Windows software.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.