Moose Z1100 and DSL

Hi, I have a Moose Z1100 that I installed about 20 years ago. I recently installed DSL service on the phone line and now have problems with the panel. The panel dials out to the central station, but the station never receives any alarm codes. I had a tech come out from the monitoring company to check thinks out. He claims that the phone lines are OK, but the panel can no longer link to the station, handshake and send the alarm codes. He was able to link to the station with his equipment and claims this is a problem with older Moose systems on DSL lines.

The phone company installed a DSL filter/splitter upstream of the RJ31 jack that the panel connects to.

Is this correct that some Moose systems will not work correctly on DSL lines? Is there something that can be done in the panel or from the phone company to make this panel work? The monitoring company of course wants to sell me a new panel and keypads. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
zwickl
Loading thread data ...

Place a butt set on the line at the panel and listen while sending a test signal. If you can hear DSL noise on the line the telco's filter isn't doing the job. Install a DSL filter directly on the RJ31X jack. There are several models around. I sell one of the more popular ones in my online store but if you're a dealer just ask your distributor.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Shouldn't be a problem if the proper DSL filter is used. The phone company, which I assume is your DSL provider, does not have or supply the proper filter. required by alarm systems. Their filters are for your telephones, fax machines, etc. Not your alarm system. In fact, in the literature that comes with the DSL setup, usually alerts the consumer to contact the alarm company. Do you know if the alarm panel was communicating with the central station just recently and prior to the DSL installation? There are different formats in which a panel can use to communicate. Some of the available communication formats in the Moose where pretty slow if they were chosen by the original installer. I don't know if that would cause a different problem when DSL is present, filter or no filter. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on that aspect.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

You're paying a professional to monitor your system. Why not take your professional alarm contractors recomendation that you should replace the panel.

It would be my opinion, that since that professional is most likely licensed and has many years of experience to support his recomendations, you should replace the system.

Think of it this way.........

The car you drive today has many more features to protect you than the car you drove twenty years ago. Lets just say one feature would be the "airbag". Using that point, the alarm systems of today have many more features to protect you. Let's say one feature would be a dramatic difference in communication with your monitoring company. Twenty years ago, phone lines used rotary dial (like your Moose Z1100) now everything is touch tone. You will get much faster responce from your monitoring company and remember seconds count when you're being held up or your house is on fire........

Take it from a professional, listen to your alarm company and "upgrade" your panel. It would be the best thing you could do for your family and how much are they worth?

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

I installed a Excelsus DSL filter. The panel will still not complete the handshake to the monitoring station. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
zwickl2

If you can change the format the Z1100 is using try one with much different tones. ie... 1800hz 10 pps 1400hz We have several Z1100 still working on DSL with no problems however we did notice an improvement in completion speed to the CC if the tones were in a lower frequency and the pulse was slower.. and if your problem is dial in connection try putting a pause right before the telephone number in the programing.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Hi, I tried the different formats the Z1100 supports (4 different ones I believe). Same results. I am interested in trying the pause in the phone number. What value shold be used in the program memory before the phone number for a pause?

Reply to
zwickl2

my list of program values says to place a 13 ahead of the telephone number that's to give a 3 second wait, it's possible to add other 13's to extend that time further.. or you can use a 14 which will give a 10 second wait.

ie.. if you had to dial a 9 for an outside line you might add the 13/14 after the 9 to give time for some older switches to assign a good outbound line. also if your system uses a ground start for an outside line the delay would be helpful.

I've noticed some DSL service around here has about a 10 second beeping before the dial tone comes on. the delay would be helpful with that problem as well..

If you have a noisey line you might switch to pulse instead of tone and then add the delay..

BoL on finding the right combo

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

The beeping is an indictor of a message waiting to be picked up. Generally when the first digit is pressed for the outgoing number the beeping stops. Doubtful that it will cause a problem but sometime you never know.

Reply to
ABLE1

I'd heard that Able1, but the customer swears they don't have any form of remote mail service.. and ATT backs them up. Now someone isn't up to speed on their features, I'm sure..

I do know that we had a pharmacy which switched over to DSL from cable and we had to add the delays to get it to work. It was a FBII not a Moose but I'd assume the practice would be the same.. Best we could figure the auto dialer of the panel was hitting so fast the telecom was missing the first digit.. (we added a 13 second delay) Oh well thats the real world not the engineers vision.. (LOL)

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

If you are not locked into a monitoring contract - go out and get yourself a Linksys PAP2T or SPA3102 from your nearest electronics retailer, plug an RJ11 cable direct from your panel modem to the Linksys, plug the Linksys into your router, get in touch with me and I will provide you with the contact details of a Monitoring Center who will give you with instructions for setting up your adapter and will take the signal over the Internet ;-)

The PAP2T is around $50 and is "IP Only". The SPA3102 is around $80 and it allows you to add a cellular backup unit to send the signal if IP fails.

Reply to
IP Alarms

How do your phones sound? Do callers hear your voice as "tinny"? How do their voices sound to you? Acceptable? Or not? Especially as compared to how it was before DSL.

A couple ideas, guesses... You could put a DSL filter right at the panel. This should provide the best filtering you are likely to get, and you won't have a bunch of cable loss in front of the filter (currently upstream of the RJ31X).

Another thought (unlikely) is that the frequency response of your tip & ring connection (normal phone side of the filter) isn't as good as your old phone service was. (i.e. level and/or flatness) If this is the case, selecting another dialer transmission format should solve the problem. And competent phone technician can tell you the response of the line. You'll want to select a format that is the best "fit" within whatever response you have.

That said, all of the Z1100 (and competitor) formats were originally designed for standard telephone response curves, and therefore should work fine with DSL regardless. But after 20 years, the components in the dialer section of your panel may have drifted some, esp. if it uses electrolytic capacitors in that particular circuit. But all is not lost. Try the slowest, mid-range frequency tones you think you can live with (from a speed perspective), and give that a try. In other words, try to stay away from the "edges" of the actual response curve. Good luck.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.