Modem to complete Contact ID protocol

Hello,

I am looking for a 56k soft modem with a usb interface that could be used t o complete contact ID protocol to call a local alarm company. I found that the CX90240 chip by Conexant has the ability to put the modem into "alarm m ode", where the kissoff and handshake tone are detected automatically. I ha ve not able to identify a modem using this chip though.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to find this modem or ho w to complete contact ID protocol without this specific chip?

I am able to send the DTMF tones, but not sure how to receive the kissoff a nd handshake tone or what mode to put the modem into using the MS+ AT comma nd.

I appreciate your help greatly.

Reply to
jasdeepsihota15
Loading thread data ...

to complete contact ID protocol to call a local alarm company. I found tha t the CX90240 chip by Conexant has the ability to put the modem into "alarm mode", where the kissoff and handshake tone are detected automatically. I have not able to identify a modem using this chip though.

how to complete contact ID protocol without this specific chip?

and handshake tone or what mode to put the modem into using the MS+ AT com mand.

I would imagine that it is difficult ----- and maybe impossible to find

After all, it is certainly something that shouldn't be available to just an yone. Central station receivers are pretty exclusive and secure for a reaso n Don't you think?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Really? I bought 4 receivers through this group and nobody ever checked my credentials.

Wasn't there a plugin PC modem card that would convert a desktop PC into a receiver?

I know. I know. What the OP was asking might lead more to a device you could hook to the phone line and fake a kiss off. Given more and more systems are using cellular, radio, and IP reporting this would not be a sure fire way to beat reporting. On anything worth protecting almost certainly not.

FYI: I can just off the top of my head think of a simpler way to fake a kissoff.

"Really, what's that Bob."

Um, I don't think I ever shared the backdoor I found into older P1632 programming either. As recently as last year I think I might have found a way to do it with newer P1632 panels, but since I was just helping a tech for another company (I didn't tell him what I thought I had just done) and I'm totally out of the business I never bothered to setup to test it. I don't think I even have any P1632 boards left I could use to test it with.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Nor do you want to take precious time away from your shop duties to try! :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Hmmmm.... now I am intrigued. LOL. I wonder if it would work with a

1664. I think I have one of those still NIB sans keypad.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Gee Whiz Bob, you do know that, curiosity killed the cat, right!!

If you plan on doing this testing evaluation on your lunch break well OK then!!! You have a lot of custom parts that need attention so that you will be compensated for you detailed work. :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

And just for the record

I too have been given a "kissoff" by a number of people.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Interesting choice of words......... "people".....

That would suggest maybe men, women, children, friends, neighbors, X-Wives, lady down the street, guy across town, foreigners, aliens, ..........and...... others??

Would you care to break that down a bit?? :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

I can remember a few girls in high school who I pursued to -- no avail. But .... there were so many girls and so little time ..... (sigh)

and numerous times by my wife through the past 50 years --- (to no avail) :->

I just simply refuse to "pack up and leave"

It's my house too ! ! ! !

And for a long time I had my eye on the "lady down the street" that you mentioned .... but now she's the one with the Monmouth ass.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Reply to
Jim Davis

LOL Maybe the "lady down the street" is the absolute best cook!! :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

mentioned .... but now she's the one with the Monmouth ass.

Ya know? I was just thinking ---- as I was going to respond to you ---- that lately every thread just seems to deteriorate from technical messages down to frivolous inanities. And I think I'm the instigator. On the other hand, with so few participants in the group now days, I fear t hat the lack of posts just might prove to be it's demise. Some times we'll go a whole week with out any posts. Social Media groups have made this venu e obsolete, so I don't see any possibility of it ever rising from the ashes .

I do not participate in ANY of the social media groups save one having to d o with my local area so I can keep abreast of local events. But I take a ve ry low key placid position and don't make any waves. Mostly just observe an d absorb information.

Does anyone here participate in any other alarm or technical centric groups that maybe we few remaining mc-crudgeons could migrate to ?

My feeling is that we few remaining have a wealth of experience that would be nice to pass on to ..... who? someone? anyone? Is there anyone out there who's interested anymore?

If anyone is interested in carrying on with this subject maybe the first re sponder should start a new thread.

Wada ya think?

Reply to
Jim Davis

I use to be a member of a couple communication contracting related forums, but I don't even recall their names. I've never been a member of any Reddit, Facebook, or LinkedIn groups related to this field.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Same here, I had a Group on Yahoo way back n the day. (but it turned into a local chat group for kids.) I don't believe in the site thing, (to many moderators and others are always trying to make money off what your talking about..) I'll be on the N.G.'s as long as their there.. ;-)

Reply to
RTS

Jim, I am somewhat the same as you on the social stuff. The only technical group I am on to any great degree is

formatting link

The link will take you to the Low Voltage forum. For the most part I go there to get opinions on certain challenges that I might be dealing with. Some of which I post here as well. Or depending on the question (as here) I will answer in the hopes that it helps others.

There are number of Forums that are related to specific equipment. I have registered on those sites in order to get notifications of new questions that may come up. I generally just read those and answers until they go off on a variety of tangents which seems to be the norm. At which point I just ignore.

As for the postings here on ASA going off on a tangent I am just as guilty or lets say "I helped!!". ;-)

I agree that ASA is going going gone. It has been that way for a number of years. It ain't what it use to be. Now that we have to wear a mask and with social distancing it will only get worse...

As for OP starting a new thread. I doubt that will happen. As I see it somebody new comes here and ask a question. It is unknown if they ever make it back to see if anyone has provided an answer or not since he has not responded one way or the other. Maybe he got his answer somewhere else. Since newsgroups don't track or require registration there is no way to know anything more that somebody asked a question.

So Jim, what do you suggest?? We all just fade into the woodwork or something more dramatic??

BTW I changed the Subject to see if helps. :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Just seeing where it goes.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

ou mentioned .... but now she's the one with the Monmouth ass.

ges down to frivolous inanities. And I think I'm the instigator.

ar that the lack of posts just might prove to be it's demise. Some times we 'll go a whole week with out any posts. Social Media groups have made this venue obsolete, so I don't see any possibility of it ever rising from the a shes.

to do with my local area so I can keep abreast of local events. But I take a very low key placid position and don't make any waves. Mostly just observ e and absorb information.

oups that maybe we few remaining mc-crudgeons could migrate to ?

uld be nice to pass on to ..... who? someone? anyone? Is there anyone out t here who's interested anymore?

t responder should start a new thread.

I've been subscribed to this DIY Forum for quite some time. It's got some i nteresting questions that come up and there are some pretty experienced peo ple answering questions. You'll have to navigate to the alarm section which is quite extensive.

I just don't get much of a chance to participate because I think that most of the responders have nothing else to do all day but respond to the posts in this forum. It's no sooner than someone asks a question and there are th ree or four responders that never give anyone else a chance to respond. I o nly get to look at it once a day and by that time all the questions are ans wered. But ------ it IS interesting to review what's going on. Once in a gr eat while, I'll get an opportunity to inject a reply, but not often.

formatting link

By the way Les, one thing I was never good at and that is "fading" ;->

However, my wife and I have talked about "when that time comes" we should g o and rent a Rolls Royce convertible, convert all our assets into cash, put the cash in the back seat, put the top down and drive the car off a cliff at the Grand Canyon. Can you just picture that? What a way to go ---- Huh? :-0

Reply to
Jim Davis

Its a long way down, but before you get there its likely some cop will just take your money and car along the way under civil asset forfeiture laws and let you hitch hike the rest of the way to the grand canyon broke.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

to complete contact ID protocol to call a local alarm company. I found tha t the CX90240 chip by Conexant has the ability to put the modem into "alarm mode", where the kissoff and handshake tone are detected automatically. I have not able to identify a modem using this chip though.

how to complete contact ID protocol without this specific chip?

and handshake tone or what mode to put the modem into using the MS+ AT com mand.

Instead of using a modem that will likely NEVER work why not just set up a test panel and use it to send Contact ID

Reply to
mleuck

Jim,

I was out of town for two days. Trying to catch up. Very slow at doing so!!!

I checked out the DIY site. This is a site that I would just read from time to time and try and resist answering or contributing. It would be very time consuming as was another I was involved with years ago.

If I somehow had nothing to do but sit at my computer and read and type then maybe.................. but, no..............

I did notice that some respond to a question just to respond. Regardless of the fact that what they said was they don't know anything about the question. LOL.

Thanks for the link. I did register just so that I could receive a notification of an answer to a particular question of interest.

BTW the trip to the Grand Canyon may have a lot of merit. :-)

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.