Manual for Edwards System3 ??

If you knew anything about the design of FireShield panels you'd would know that lockout codes on Edwards are a function of the software -- not the hardware. In designing the software we started with the program able to access the panel with or without the correct code. Edwards connected a working panel to the power and phones so we could test the communications module.

BTW, the entire program is modular, allowing Edwards to add various panels at will simply by changing the XML schema. It was the first time this technique was used for their systems. Every major I/O function of the software uses the same modules, with the GUI being modified to fit the type of data fields for each screen by the schema. Larger, addressable systems can also be added but a few additional modules would need to be added. Since GE bought them out, they've used the same technique on their own software designs. I guess they like what we did.

BTW, I didn't just write the help system. I designed the user interface, taught my partners how the systems work and sat in on engineering design meetings at Edwards. Though my primary purpose in being there was to make certain the software would accommodate changes in the final product, I also had input on the features of the panels. Since I was the only one at the table who had actually installed fire alarm systems for a living they wanted my input. It was a lot of fun, besides mildly lucrative.

I know you're such an asshole that you'd rather mock than admit that I'm telling the truth, but that's alright. I'm still telling the truth and you're still an asshole. You proved that once again when I tried to be nice to you recently. It's a shame you have nothing of value to add to most of the threads here -- just snide remarks and general meanness.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

I haven't installed them, and the end user is not an Edwards customer

Reply to
mleuck

Feel free to tell the world what you supposedly donated

Reply to
mleuck

Ah the "Hey everyone look how great I am and all the stuff I know" bit mixed with "I'm so nice and you don't appreciate me" routine

It's going to be a long 4 months 20 days

Reply to
mleuck

With so many people's names in the thing I'm amazed you had time to add any Edwards information

Reply to
mleuck

I wouldn't be going around slapping myself on the back for "designing" a help file system that pretty much used off-the-shelf software you purchased. That's a little like saying you designed the software your website uses because you've made a few changes here and there to suit your particular store-front.

Tom should try DRUPAL for his websites, by the way. I'm currently using it to build a new site. It's loaded with features, and uses php friendly coding for the "bots". You should check out what they did with

formatting link
That entire site was built with DRUPAL.

Reply to
Frank Olson

You've seen it. The system explains in detail every data point in the program, includes the complete installation manual and has links to every field on every screen in the app. It even teaches the user how to use a help system (since, according to you, most installers don't know how to use a computer I thought it would be good to include that, too). :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ergo, you don't know Jack Stevens about them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ask Jim Rojas, idiot.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There's a huge difference between buying software and developing a proper system. The end product doesn't roll out of the software on its own.

Since I designed my original websites I guess I know what's involved.

I'm using X-Cart for my new sites (three of them). The look and feel will be very similar to the current design, a product of mine own and Searchfit's design.

My new sites will also employ PHP. The rollout is *supposed* to be in about

6-8 weeks but may be delayed a bit. The sites are too big now to simply code everything by hand. The biggest part of the job isn't the templates. It's importing the database -- about 50 Gigs at this point.

I don't really like the layout though there are some great shots of Obama. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

don't get all tingly legged on us. save that for your private time.

Reply to
Kid

Ever type in whitehouse.com by mistake ? :-)

(it's not a govenment site by any means)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Jim Rojas's helpfile is based on one I gave him 10 years ago, you donated nothing to mine

Reply to
mleuck

Actually from what's been going on since January the .com site is much more accurate and realistic

Reply to
mleuck

The only "difference" involves a few screen shot captures and some creative writing. Many years ago I purchased a product called WordPerfect, but decided to switch to MS Office because it seemed to be "the standard". Office has a little program called "Publisher" and includes some pretty good looking web templates. Drupal also includes several templates but what makes it "better" is the ability to do your own coding and bounce ideas off a community involved in customizing the software for your own use. "Open source" is definitely the way to go.

I imagine you do. The orginal site was a "kludge" (no offence). Since you started using "searchfit", it's cleaned up nicely. It's definitely no

formatting link
but I think your "market" is geared more toward the HA guys (and most of them know how to run wire, etc.).

Reply to
Frank Olson

I figured out why Repugnicans were so mad about the Lewinski scandal. Half of them were jealous of Clinton. The other half were jealous of Monica.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You shared his ethics.

Ugh. Disgusting.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Which were you jealous of? The President or the fat intern?

Reply to
mleuck

If you don't know how to do a proper help system, that would seem correct.

I've had both. Owning either one won't make you an author just as owning Photshop won't make you an artist and owning RoboHelp won't make you a help system author. Anyone can pick up a crayon and draw stick figures. Drawing a creative pastel portrait takes skill, understanding and work.

I've seen the stuff Leuck worked on. He's no help system designer.

The same is true of X-Cart, which I've chosen to use for our new sites. It's open source. You get some templates with it. The company will develop custom templates and even modify the software for you if you like. They're doing both of those things to accomodate our needs. But you can also write your own templates and we will be doing lots of that.

I have a few special layouts I use with Searchfit. One displays a main product -- such as a FACP -- and several groups of related products with paragraphs above each group to explain what they do, how they differ and which are compatible with each other. These templates make it easy for a client to order a complete commervial fire alarm system by checking a few boxes, selecting quantities and hitting "Buy Now" once for the entire project. This allows a client to quickly compare the cost of similar systems from several manufacturers.

Another template I designed using SF displays long lists of similar products -- such as cable -- in tabular format. The client can scroll down to aa Guage, then bb conductors, cc feet putup, dd color and ee (carton, reel, whatever). This makes it simple to select from some 900 different cable selections. I use the same system to select DVRs and several other types of products.

I originally planned to develop my own templates for thes under X-Cart, but chemo side effects make it hard to keep to a reasonable schedule. After I stop the chemo (hopefully for good this time) I'll be able to work on a number of other things I need to do.

None of this is all that creative. Many sites have similar features. The fun part is learning to use the features of the system to massage the pages into what I want them to look like. Unlike programming and help development, most of this is drone work, but it's still fun to learn new things. I also have to learn PHP so I'll be off to the bookstore once I get over the next infusion [ this week :( ].

I couldn't agree more. That's another reason we're moving away from SF. Their system is terrific -- ver powerful and unbelievably feature-rich. The problem is you can't get the source code and the monthly fees are very high. Until recently my monthly charges were well into five-figures. The basic fees for SF are very reasonable. With over 300,000 pages using a group of dedicated machines to run searches plus another dedicated machine running the sites, deep linking service to help with search returns, etc., the cost gets way up there.

It never was what I wanted. Since switching to SF I was ablt to devote my efforts to making the page layouts effective and getting the content right. I didn't have to spend numerous hours every week just trying to keep the machines running. If you've ever worked with a Windows server you know what a PITA that is.

Thank goodness not.

My market is pretty diverse. Clients include a fair number of HA guys. I also do business with every branch of the military, the State Department and numerous state and federal agencies. I sell cameras to LANL and Oak Ridge. Industrial clients include all of the major aircraft builders, most of whom buy fire alarms from us though some also order CCTV gear.

One of the strangest customers is a foreign (Eastern European) government that's on friendly terms with our own. About once every two or three years they order 10 or 20 FBII panels, as many keypads and a bunch of magnetic contacts to protect their consulates in various countries. They won't consider any of the more modern panels from other manufacturers. They know FBII and that's all they want. OK. :^)

That said, residential customers are still our bread and butter. The majority of them are doing their very first installation when they call. They all ask the same questions -- what system do you recommend and what do I need to put it all together? I've been working on pages to make selecting the associated components easy but with so many options from which to choose (our sites have over 300 manufacturers), they almost always want halp making the choice. That's good for me because I can spend 20 minutes with a person and gain his patronage just by helping him compare prices and explaining what works with what. I always offer help programming the alarm which I believe clinches the sale much of the time.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm a Democrat. We don't get jealous. We won. You lost.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.