Looking for Vehicle Advice

My work van does something odd.

80% of the time, the van rolls straight and smooth but every now and then it feels like the front tires are wobbling. This is to varying degrees - sometimes it feels like a little shimmy and sometimes it feels like they are about to fall off. This happens randomly on all manner of road conditions but seems to be limited to higher speeds (40+) and more often than not during acceleration.

The shop did an alignment and the tires have been balanced. They have looked at the front end and said there is nothing wrong - last time I was told it was the tires picking up snow and ice but it happens in all four seasons.

It happens on straightaways and on curves of either direction. Slowing down will stop it but it will also stop of its own accord after a few seconds. I don't think it has ever lasted more than 15-20 seconds - the shimmy version if it, at any rate. The more pronounce version ends quickly because I will take my foot off the gas and reducing speed will usually end it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

Joe,

I have bunch of opinions but the question is are they valid or not......... :-)

Has anyone looked at the ball joints in the front?? The one test would be grab the top of the tire and strongly shake it. If it wobbles or you get a clunking sound then there is a ball joint of bushing problem.

The other possibility would be the steering tie rod ends. That test would be similar as above but when the van is on a lift and the wheel is hanging. This would be a side to side shake.

Then there is the front shocks. Put your weight on the front bumper and release. There should not be any bounce action at all. Just a solid return to home position.

It is possible that there is some sort of harmonics at certain speeds that greatly amplifies the effect of a very small problem with a joint, bushing or shock.

My general rule with things like you describe is to change something even if it appears good. My thinking is that if the symptoms give an indication of where the problem is, replacing with new will either fix the problem OR tell you that it was NOT the problem.

If I were to guess on which of the above could be the problem, I would replace the shocks with a good quality heavy duty model. Not knowing the number of miles (guessing a bunch) the new shocks will make a huge difference in how the van rides and handles. Which will be a bonus regardless if it fixes the problem or not.

Strong suggestion on doing all 4............... just because.

I had my E150 from almost new (1750 miles) and replaced the factory shocks at about 25,000. It use to lean when going around a corner. After the new Heavy Duty shocks it was rock solid. Now that I think about it, that was about 100,000 miles ago.

Hope the above helps. BTW my Dad was the top mechanic at a local Ford dealership for 28 years before he retired. I learned a lot about cars when growing up. Still have some grease under my finger nails from those years.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Able1 has the right ideas, all you need to do is followup.. I might add check out another mechanic. You have any of those problems and you mechanic didn't spot them, I'd question his professionalism..

Front end alignment can also make one dart side to side, but mostly on hard top roadways.. Check for dishing on the inside of the tires (front end) this can indicate failing shocks also..

Aren't vehicles fun....

rts

Joe,

I have bunch of opinions but the question is are they valid or not......... :-)

Has anyone looked at the ball joints in the front?? The one test would be grab the top of the tire and strongly shake it. If it wobbles or you get a clunking sound then there is a ball joint of bushing problem.

The other possibility would be the steering tie rod ends. That test would be similar as above but when the van is on a lift and the wheel is hanging. This would be a side to side shake.

Then there is the front shocks. Put your weight on the front bumper and release. There should not be any bounce action at all. Just a solid return to home position.

It is possible that there is some sort of harmonics at certain speeds that greatly amplifies the effect of a very small problem with a joint, bushing or shock.

My general rule with things like you describe is to change something even if it appears good. My thinking is that if the symptoms give an indication of where the problem is, replacing with new will either fix the problem OR tell you that it was NOT the problem.

If I were to guess on which of the above could be the problem, I would replace the shocks with a good quality heavy duty model. Not knowing the number of miles (guessing a bunch) the new shocks will make a huge difference in how the van rides and handles. Which will be a bonus regardless if it fixes the problem or not.

Strong suggestion on doing all 4............... just because.

I had my E150 from almost new (1750 miles) and replaced the factory shocks at about 25,000. It use to lean when going around a corner. After the new Heavy Duty shocks it was rock solid. Now that I think about it, that was about 100,000 miles ago.

Hope the above helps. BTW my Dad was the top mechanic at a local Ford dealership for 28 years before he retired. I learned a lot about cars when growing up. Still have some grease under my finger nails from those years.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Les

Reply to
Rocky

Hi,

If your front end wheel ball-joints, tie-rod ends, bearings, and any other parts have been thoroughly checked out to be tight including struts, and you still have the random problem; the only logical conclusion left is that your actual steering rack may be the culprit. Some vehicles also have a 'damper' shock absorber for the steering, next to the rack. I once had a Toyota that had a horizontal steering shock that went bad that was causing a similar problem. Depending on the age of your vehicle, both may be in need of tender loving care.

I have always depended on older knowledgeable parts guys who have been in the industry for a while to help me diagnose various problems over the years. They get to see and hear much more problems and solutions across a large spectrum of the industry and across many brands. They're also much cheaper than mechanics. I have never gone to mechanics except for transmission rebuilts. Well, I take that back. If I talk to mechanics, on rare occasions, I ask them to give me a written estimate of what they will do to my vehicle. Then, I may go to a second mechanic if I doubt somewhat his opinion. I have always done my own work.

Hope this helps you.

Reply to
E DAWSON

Does the vehicle have a steering damper? if so then I would look at that. A worn out or leaking damper can cause the problems you are describing

Reply to
doug

Joe,

I probably should have asked what is the brand of the van, year and miles. All will help with advice.

BTW those others that have responded have added to my list of possible issues. A small problem of two could be a big overall issue. It would be an accumulative effect. Again replacing one would either fix it or tell you where it is not. When I am troubleshooting I end up finding a lot of nots!!!

Good luck and have a good week.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Go old school on its ass. Lift the front end off the ground. Rest the frame on some good locking jack stands. Block the front and rear of both wheels in the rear. Now get a strong buddy to help you. Have him shake one wheel back and forth and up and down as hard as he can while you look at the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Also, feel for any slop in the wheel bearing assembly. ( I sure miss plane old ordinary wheel bearings). If that doesn't help you isolate the problem get a long straight pick (or other similarly strong lever) and have your strong buddy use it to lift up and then let off on the tire while you look for sloppy stuff. Sometimes a bad ball joint might not show, but you can find slop in it by squeezing it with a pair of long handle slip joint pliers.

If its go king pins usually worn king pin bushings it will show with the lever trick.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ford E250, 201k miles.

Steering box is a great starting point.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Google for Death Wobble or "Ford Death Wobble"

Reply to
doug

OH you mean like this??

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

Can you get someone to ride along side of you to watch while this is happening?

If the tires are "bouncing" up and down then it's the shocks. If the tires are "wobbling" back and forth then it's tie rods, and/or ball joints, or (depending upon the age of the truck) King pins. Remotely possible is the rack and pinion steering, but not likely.

Whatever it is, get it fixed quickly. Every time it does it, ... it's taking a tremendous toll on the rest of the steering mechanism. Until you get it fixed, when it starts to vibrate ..... slow it down .... you could lose the whole front end.

And uhhhh, if the people who did the alignment couldn't find it .... I'd suggest you try somewhere else. I mean ComeON .... it's a trouble shooting problem ..... What do they think? You're just making up the whole thing? Sounds like they'd sooner do alignments than get into anything more difficult. And that means .... you don't want them to do the job to begin with.

Reply to
Jim

First thing I do is slow down - I may be dumb, but I'm not crazy.

Happens rarely enough that he mech's take it for a spin and it doesn't present so they think I'm crazy. Like I said, the guy was sure I was just picking up some snow and shit.

Same thing happens to us... customer has a problem and when we get there, nothing is wrong.

That's why when my customer says her alarm panel ate the cat, the first thing I do is check for bone and gristle in the motion sensors - lol.

Seriously though, I always figure there's SOMETHING going on - May be the alarm panel - may be the cool clock the guy got when he retired and didn't know the alarm was set for 2 am and THAT's why he thinks the smoke detector in the living room is beeping every night for ten minutes (real story). I hate getting dismissed like I have been, so I don't do it to others. I always TRY to walk out the door with an explanation.

Anyways...

Got the OK from bossman this afternoon to take it elsewhere.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

So? You find it?

I recently had a Nissan worked on by a reputable shop. At certain speeds the vehicle would develop a vibration after I got it back. Not as bad as you describe, but irritating. I just started disassembling things, and found the front pivot busing on the swing arm pivot pin was a little worn. Not enough that you could see a problem visibly or even feel it with everything connected. However when the stabilizer link was removed, and the wheel spindle was unbolted and swing out of the way you could grab the swing arm and just barely feel it. New swing arm assembly came with ball joint and bushings. Problem solved.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, it's amazing how much more people could see .... if they would only " Look"!

I have this theory that I think they should do a study on .... that cynics are better trouble shooters because they're always looking for things that are wrong. But , come to think of it, you would have to have someone else c orrect the problem because the cynic would believe that it could never be f ixed.

Oh well .... so much for that theory.

Reply to
Jim

It got fixed - but not by me, lol. I can put in gas and change a tire as long as getting the spare off ain't too complicated - that's the extent of my vehicular knowledge.

I took it to a shop I've used before with my own car - he's expensive, but has a reputation for fixing the stuff other guys can't find.

I couldn't give you a laundry list of what was wrong, but it was a combination of a couple loose or worn parts that, taken individually probably wouldn't have much effect - or something like that.

I was encouraged when he took it out for a spin, came back and admitted there was something wrong - that was the first time a mechanic admitted to feeling anything like what I described.

Almost $800, The boss about choked - can't say I blame him - but the issue is gone so, as the driver of the truck, I consider it money well spent.

Then he offered to do the front brakes for $700...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.