Looking for simple thoughts.

Not to go overboard but as more and more cable modems get installed and POTS go away a question comes to mind.

For the past quite a number of years I have installed with every system a lightning surge protection on the phone line. Now with the Digital Voice and the modem hanging on the cable is the surge protection still a desired thing to do or even an issue??

Thanks for any thoughts.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Well you've certainly come to the right place to obtain simple thoughts.

I don't think surge protection on a VoIP modem source telephone line is going to provide you with any kind of protection. I mean maybe it the modem got blown off the wall it might do something ( like catch on fire or something) but I don't think it's going to have the same effect as it would on a Pots line.

Reply to
Jim

Well you've certainly come to the right place to obtain simple thoughts.

I don't think surge protection on a VoIP modem source telephone line is going to provide you with any kind of protection. I mean maybe it the modem got blown off the wall it might do something ( like catch on fire or something) but I don't think it's going to have the same effect as it would on a Pots line.

I thru in the 'simple thoughts' just to get a reaction. I guess I did.

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree. Anyone else with any thoughts??

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

it would depend on the type of arrestor your planning on using..

Gas Discharge Surge Arrestors of 150 volts or less will be added protection. other types varistors, thermistors and the like would have small effect in protecting the communicator.

this all assumes the cable guys did the proper grounding arrestors on the cable inlet to begin with.. if not just wave the ole NEC 70 electrical code at em.. article 800

Not to go overboard but as more and more cable modems get installed and POTS go away a question comes to mind.

For the past quite a number of years I have installed with every system a lightning surge protection on the phone line. Now with the Digital Voice and the modem hanging on the cable is the surge protection still a desired thing to do or even an issue??

Thanks for any thoughts.

Les

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I'm pretty sure the VOIP device would take the brunt of any hit, especially if it was pre-protected with a UPS with phone line surge protection.

If your customers do not have a UPS for their router/VOIP stuff it could be a good upsell opportunity. Have a few in the truck and sell them one for each PC while you're at it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have had a few hits on cable modems and so far only the modem has taken the hit and not the panel but i still keep the extra surge in just in case. as far as Verizon FIOS its fiber optic coming into home so no surge possible on fiber cable but you could still get hit thru the interface so I surge protect it also. The biggest problem of course always is the asshole bozos cable techs who do not understand how a RJ31x works.

Reply to
nick markowitz

No, not a one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for digging deep for that............................................

Reply to
ABLE1

It was no trouble, really.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.