Long Runs - CCTV

Back in the day we all had to deal with the 750' limit. We all knew we could push it further, but if we wanted to "know" it was good we made sure it was close to max for runs. I special ordered 95% Cu RG-6 and was able to run 1000' and for black and white cameras there are some I nstalled at nearly 1500' on that coax.

Then along came twisted pair and amplified twisted pair baluns that cdould push composite video a couple miles. With RF links (some) you could push composite video several miles.

Now we have to take a step back. 318' limit (100 meters) with IP cameras. We can stretch that a little, but that's the magic number for ethernet. Its not the signals won't travel further. Its that the timing is all off if you stretch it to far. Multi Megapixel IP cameras are the bees knees. The cats meow. Bob's pre marriage dating history. Whatever. LOL. How are you dealing with those long runs? Its not always practical throw POE switches up all over the place as repeaters either. I work on facilities routinely with runs of 500-700 feet, and one old install I did ages ago with oversize coax had a couple runs approaching 1500'.

What is the answer. I push POE IP cameras often now because of the price to features ratio and the ease of installation (nearly PnP), but how are you dealing with distance issues?

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Bob,

I personally to date have not had to deal with it. However, if I did or was going to, I would treat it as computer network. (which it is) Install Data Switches as hubs. The place your PoE switch or utilize a local Power Supply near the camera.

Something else I would consider depending on a number of factors would be to use Fiber. Placing a Ethernet to Fiber module at each end can transmit the video data long distances. It would depend on number of cameras and the budget.

Again, never had to.................... yet.

Hope that helps.

BTW if you are not already a member, this forum can be a help sometimes.

formatting link

Like any forum, you need to read between the lines at times. But you can glean out some good input and see other opinions that can point you a direction that can help.

Hope that helps.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

FYI Just saw this equipment in the latest Tri-Ed monthly flyer.

formatting link
Specifically the Vi3002 Repeater. The specs state daisy chain up to 8 units for a total of 3000'. Hummmmmmm Interesting.

Reply to
ABLE1

I don't do much commercial anymore. At least nothing over 300 feet long. Al though I do large residential the "hub is usually pretty close to the cente r of the house so more often nothing over 200 feet. In years past, RG6 was the cure for anything over the 700 foot limit.

What I am using is the HDMI extenders over Cat5/6 for TV's. I nver use an H DMI cable over 50feet long In one case I couldn't even use that because the house was plaster over metal lath The TV installed over the fireplace usin g the clock wall outlet that had been installed in the 1920's when the hous e was built. I used a wireless HDMI extender for the TV. Kind of expensive but didn't have to break plaster walls to run a wire.

I do see IP network extenders advertised along with RF transmission equip b ut without need, never looked into them.

Reply to
Jim

That has potential. I'll have to see who else has it. From Tri-Ed I could never count on getting what I ordered.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I haven't had the need (yet) But I'd go with Les on this one Use Fiber I have a retail friend locally who runs fiber from his house to his store that?s inside then outside then back inside.. He transmits video, data and packet phone all on the same fiber.. Only problem I know about was him putting the ends on for the modulator/demodulators. (hes's also under the footprint of several RF transmitters, no problem with fiber)

RTS

Bob,

I personally to date have not had to deal with it. However, if I did or was going to, I would treat it as computer network. (which it is) Install Data Switches as hubs. The place your PoE switch or utilize a local Power Supply near the camera.

Something else I would consider depending on a number of factors would be to use Fiber. Placing a Ethernet to Fiber module at each end can transmit the video data long distances. It would depend on number of cameras and the budget.

Again, never had to.................... yet.

Hope that helps.

BTW if you are not already a member, this forum can be a help sometimes.

formatting link

Like any forum, you need to read between the lines at times. But you can glean out some good input and see other opinions that can point you a direction that can help.

Hope that helps.

Les

Reply to
RTS

When it comes to Fiber. LC OR SC terminations Single of Multimode. Choose the Modulator/Demodulators.

The trick I learned is DO NOT DO the terminations. Instead figure the length of the run. Add a fudge factor 1.2 times the best guess on length. Then place an order for the cable pre-made with the right ends. Then pull the cable. Coil up the extra and PLUG IT IN!!!! DONE!!!!

Does it work?? You betcha it does!!

Hope that helps.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.