Klein Tools

Has anybody else noted that some Klein tools are not as good as they once where?

I have had two or three recently disappoint me.

My new needle nose don't seem to cut crisply, the jaws are not the same size at the tip (thickness), the side of one jaw folded back a little already, and the back jaws don't close as nicely on a beanie as my old ones.

I also tried a new hole saw from them that is supposed to drill, and cut for standard size knockouts, and then a spring is supposed to eject the plug. Their drill bit just snapped off the first time I used it before the teeth even really started to bite into the steel.

A long reach screw driver I bought for adjusting sliding doors, seems to have pre rounded edges on the blades of the philips form. Its very hard to move a stiff screw without it popping out constantly.

They still say Made in USA on them, but this is more like I would expect from older cheap Chinese tools. On the other hand they may not actually be Made in USA. Klein has been known to make other things out of country, do a final process in the US, and label them Made in USA in the past.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Have noticed as well quality is not there anymore

Reply to
NickMark

Xlite, Cresent Tools. I've been using the same Phillips Drivers for over

15 years...

But like you have noticed, Klien Tools have begun to slip.....

RTS

Reply to
RTS

Don't let the BS on their website fool you. They have sourced out some of their tool production to Japan & Taiwan for years. They have closed and relocated factories for the past 15-20 years. I suspect it is a union busting move. I believe their newest forging facility is in Texas...alot closer to Mexico, if you get my drift...

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I was in their facility in San Luis, Az many years ago (closed now). From what I could see they were importing leather goods made in San Luis, Mexico, putting the final rivet in at the top of the stitching in Az, and stamping them Made In USA. Those were actually pretty good leather goods though back then though. (22-23 years ago???)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

When a company definitely crosses the line, the Federal Trade Commission is supposed to stop this type of behavior, and punishment them for it. If a company refuses to comply, it then faces civil penalties. To date, the FTC has brought only one civil penalty case since the late 1990s, slapping Stanley Tools with a $200,000 fine back in 2006 to settle charges involving the origin of one of its ratchet brands. Stanley insisted that the ratchets were 100% made in America, but the FTC noted that much of their content was obviously foreign made. Klein Tools is taking full advantage of this lack of oversight concerning these matters, and chooses to profit from it until such time a fine is imposed on them.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I take pretty good care of my tools. I sharpen, bend, cut, file etc, them u ntil they wear away or fall apart. I even sharpen my Miller stripers. Craf tsman used to be my choice but switched to Kline and yes they are getting p oorer in quality. Try to sharpen a flat blade screwdriver and the metal is so cheap it heats up so fast you have to barely touch it to the wheel. Even screwdrivers with replacement tips the Philips tips never seem to be consi stently the same size. Some are good some aren't. Today, using stainless st eel screws putting up outdoor speakers, new Philips tip keeps slipping out of the screws. Up on a ladder can't get good pressure on the screw. Probabl y cheap screws because I changed the tip and still couldn't get good turns on them.

Yeah, just one more aggravating thing to contend with along with the heat.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.