Kantech Entrapass Corporate 6 and Smartlink

I am looking for information on Kantech Entrapass Corporate 6 and smartlink. We used to have it on an XP machine but upgraded to a Windows 7. Since then the smartlink has not worked, and we keep having problems with the operation of Entrapass. Also used to have the server and gateway operating in the background automatically, now I have to start server before entering new users and today the gateway wouldn't work. Said it couldn't talk to the server, check the network, it is all on the same computer. I found you through a forum, but the most recent post is 2013. Our installer now wants $90 per hour to come and scratch his head commenting that he doesn't know anything about the program and that he doesn't know how the system works. All he does is calls Kantech, but they only talk to installers, not users. Posted to the Face Book page, but nothing there. Can anyone here give me some help?

Reply to
papawolf101
Loading thread data ...

Hindsight being 20-20 and the fact that we learn from our mistakes, after you get this unscrewed call that installer for a heads up the next time you mess with the computer or server that has important software loaded on it - a $90 service call up front will save a ton of head scratching and multiple service calls on the back end.

You can try to find another Kantech installer who has the proper training if, for no other reason than he will know what questions to ask tech support and be able to follow directions without needing a screen by screen, click by click hand-holding session.

Or at least you might be able to find someone who doesn't charge quite that much for a hand-holding session with tech support. In my experience, the Kantech phone guys are great at what they do and can usually guide a competent tech to a solution to even confusing problems pretty quick. But have whoever you call come in the morning, much shorter hold times, if any - their phones lines tend to get a bit crowded in the afternoon.

But, as a start, have your IT guy make sure the server and the gateway are running as a windows service and that they are starting up automatically. (That will be the first thing tech support has him look at)

My guess is that whoever did the windows upgrade didn't know what those services were and stopped them. Hopefully he didn't delete anything important.

Since your Entrapass version 6 upgrade had to have happened within the last 6 months to a year, maybe you can scream and yell enough at your installer to get him to cut a break on the fix - you did spend a pretty penny on those tokens, after all - I'm sure he didn't sell them to you at cost.

BUT- at the end of the day...

I'm still scratching MY head as to how a guy is installing a system he knows nothing about...

You need to call around and find a certified dealer in your area - Kantech CAN help you with that. If you get a guy who knows what he is doing, you will be amazed at what the system can do for you...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.