Just for discussion.

Let me be the first to say(type).

This little discussion has certainly taken a bit of a twist. Thanks Bob, for the 'Extra' input!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

an

ubt

nd no

When I was a kid I did a lot of bad stuff. But ---- I was always good at co vering my ass so I wouldn't get caught. And I mean some REALLY bad and dang erous stuff.

However the one time I did have a run in with the law ( and I may have ment ioned it here before) was about 20/25 years ago.

Had a customer who's store front window was broken in -- in the middle of t he night. He responded and stayed at the store until morning. He called the glazer and me. Wanted me to be on standby to refoil the window after the g lass was installed. Well, the glazer didn't show up until about 6PM so ther e I am at 9PM at night with keys to the store, rewiring and installing the foil. My van is parked right at the curb and front entrance to the store. S o --- I'm going in and out of the store to the van for parts and tools and locking up everything because 4 stores down the block is a Dominos pizza wi th a bunch of teenagers making a lot of noise and raising hell.

So, I needed a hacksaw from the van. I unlocked the store front door, walke d directly to the van, opened the side door, climb in and going through my tool basket looking for my hacksaw and the kids go running by the van, bang ing on the side and hooting and hollering and try to slide the door shut on me. I back out of the van and stand there looking at them to see what thei r next move is going to be. So the biggest one a little taller than me, wit h purple hair and pierced eyebrow, walks up to me followed by the other 4 p ushes me on the shoulder and asks me "What do you think YOUR"RE going to do ?". At which point I rapped him in the head 4 or 5 times with the hacksaw. He WAS lucky in one respect that I didn't come out to the van for a hammer.

Here's where I made the mistake. I should have called the cops but after I hit him they ran away down the street. I thought it was over with. But THEY called the cops. When the cops showed up they spoke to the kids first and I have no idea what they told them. The cops then asked me what happened an d then went back to the patrol car. Shortly after that, another patrol car showed up and the first one took off. The second cops came in to the store saw what I was working on and in the alarm business and said that they were supposed to take me into custody since it was a case of assault. I told th em what happened and It was pretty obvious that I didn't just take a mind t o attack 5 teeagers with a hacksow. So they just gave me a summons to appea r. Come to find out the purple hair kids father was a cop. So I'm guessing that the cops in the first patrol car knew his father, and just told the se cond cops to arrest me. I had to pay $5k to an attorney and got off with a warning. I know the judg e knew what had happened. (almost lost my pistol license too) I looked for the kid at the pizza place for a long time afterwards but never did see him again. It turned out to be a good thing for both of us. Lucky kid and lucky me. Next time I would have gotten a much longer sentence.

Reply to
Jim Davis

One time out at the lake (dirt road) a buddy of mine was leaving pulling his boat. If he was doing 10 MPH at the time it would be an exaggeration. He had pulled off the side of the road, and eased towards the middle to pass some pedestrians. In the other direction a small car came drifting around the hill side. Full on drifting out in the middle of the road. It was a pretty long sweeping turn so he had to be cooking. He just raked all the way down the side of my buddies truck and boat and then spun out coming to a stop. The first cop who responded in plane clothes. Said they were both at fault, so he could write up a report, write them both a ticket, or they could just go home and each let their own insurance handle it.

I walked out, paced off the center line of the road and then walked the ruts (yes ruts) left from drifting, and said really load so everybody within yelling distance could hear me, "The kid must be related to somebody because he was probably drifting at over 100 miles per hour when he cross the center line and hit (my buddy's) vehicle. (My buddy) wasn't even over the center line." That cop looked at me. He face showed fear and then hatred as I walked to my truck and said, "You tell that punk to keep his wreck off the road until I get out of here. I can't afford to replace my truck and boat at my own expense because the cops refuse write him up for criminal speed."

Later I asked my buddy and sure enough the cop bullied him into leaving without an accident report under a threat of a false ticket for being over the center line. I saw it happen and I knew better. The evidence was clear as day on the road. You could clearly see the drift marks from the car even after several other vehicles had driven over them.

$80K truck with every surface on drivers side smashed or crushed. (brand new that year) Boat totaled. Maybe $30K. Cop refuses to write an accident report and shows fear on face when somebody says something about it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

nice thing about cameras, take pictures from every angle and multi-times.. Back in the day, we used those little "one time use", cheap kind... now a days every phone has a camera..

Reply to
RTS

That was just plain nasty to say the least!! I can't top that but here is one story that comes to mind.

Back in 1967 after returning home from my military time half way around the world with the US Navy, I was visiting a friend in town. I was driving a 56 Ford. When I was leaving I bumped the car behind me getting out of the parking space. No big deal, I continued home. After about 15 minutes, I received a call from the person I was visiting. She asked if I had hit a car when I was leaving. I said, yes, I bumped the car behind me?? She well the Cops are looking for you!! I said, I will be right there. I got there and sure enough the car behind me was I believe a Chevy Nova and had Aluminum Bumpers. My Ford had steel vertical bumperets. Needless to say it left a dent in the bumper upon a minor bump.

I told the owner, who I also knew, that I would take care of it!! Cop came over and asked for my information. Told him that I will take care of the damage since it was my fault. He then said, I will have to report this as "leaving the scene of an accident". WHAT?!?!

I went to court and explained the situation to the Judge. Who after deliberation of about 40 milliseconds dropped the gavel and said, "THREE MONTHS SUSPENSION". I then realized that I was made an example of since they actually caught one this time.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

know that feeling, When I was a L.E.O. i caught a kid with 5 lbs of pot, took him in, did all the paper work.. turned him over to the detectives. next day found him out selling again.. Checked with detectives as to why? they told me they had to let him go, cause........ he was cousin to the Attorney General of the State.. (who later became the Governor of that state....)

no example for him, just a get out of jail card... Never knew what he turned into later in life but I do know his uncle was a first class horse's ass.......

about like some of those we see in the news today....

Reply to
RTS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.