Just bought, am I getting a fair deal? Apex/Honeywell/Monitronics

Hi, I just bought a Apex/Honeywell/Monitronics alarm system last Thursday evening (5/19/05) from a door to door salesperson. I believe Apex is the middleman selling the systems. The alarm system was installed that evening also. I just bought my house about a year ago, and it already had a control panel for an ADT system, but I never had it connected to a monitoring service. I took them up on their offer, as I was meaning to get some kind of security system going here, and kept procrastinating, and felt if I didn't go for it, I'd procrastinate more and never get a system going, and be unprotected in a Cleveland, Ohio neighborhood that's just starting to become a little rough.

What they said is they install free equipment, based on a point system, and I'm allowed 6 points, each item chosen worth one point. I have a small bungalow style house, so I got one wireless glass breakage detector (was told it will detect to a 25 foot plus radius), one wireless motion detector, one wireless smoke alarm, and there were already two door sensors from the last system that they counted as one point each I believe (front door and side door), and a key fob for a point. I was told 6 points were worth about seven or eight hundred dollars of equipment that they installed free, but looking at this now, I already had the two door sensors. I was told window sensors were unnecessary as I just had new vinyl replacement windows installed a month ago, and was told on the newer ones, they are impossible to open from the outside without breaking the glass, which the breakage detector would pick up.

I don't have traditional wired landline phone service, I use only my cell phone always. They told me I would have to use their cellular back-up network in this case, which is $42.99 a month, $3 more than if I used their landline service. I tried searching the Net to see if I am getting a good, or at least a fair deal. My contract is for three years. I could not find anything that lists what companies charge for monitoring, however I know I'm probably at a disadvantage with some companies not having a landline. All the sites want you to sign up first, I'm sure that's the way it would work with calling them also. I did find a site just now (

formatting link
) that says they monitor starting $2.95 a month, but my old control box, etc. has been taken out and the Monitronics installed, plus a new box in the basement, whatever that is, with all the wires, etc.

I signed up Thursday evening about 7 PM EST, and since the weekend was coming up, the salesperson told me I had 5 days to change my mind and cancel the contract instead of the usual 3 days. This is about up, and I don't want to cancel a good deal if I do have one, and have to start from scratch looking for a security provider, etc. and maybe, again, never get it done. On the other hand, if it does not sound like a good/fair deal what I got, what are my options to negotiate? Thanks much in advance.

Reply to
Danny Kewl
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for all the replies so far from No Wires Showing and Crash Gordon. I just called Monitronics and they told me to call Apex. Apex said they "couldn't come down on price for the quality equipment" they installed. I then re-read No Wires Showing's first reply and I called Monitronics back to deal directly with them, and if they'll take charge of my account instead of Apex (hopefully for the $29.99) and they said I have to deal with Apex. Then I read about the repair tickets just sitting there and that you could use it for a "footrest". I also scanned the Google groups archive for Monitronics, and there are some pretty dubious reviews of their service. I was told I had state of the art equipment, but what good is it if as some post said that Monitronics is not notifying people about alarms that go off?

Now, I don't know about ADT or other company's track records, maybe or maybe not they have good or bad track records, but since I have to deal with Monitronics right now, that's who I looked up. I told both Monitronics and Apex on the phone just now, that Apex comes to your house, tells you you're not going to get a better system or deal for this price, and the installers are already down the street, and will be at your house in an hour, which they were after I signed up, thinking, they need to make an appointment to come out and install, and in that time I could do research if that's the right deal for me. I told the salesperson, I'll sign up, and do my research, and if I don't like what I find, I call them up to tell them not to come out and save them from putting equipment in. But, again, after I assume that's the situation, she calls the installer, and it has to be "installed tonight" and if you want to put it off, you won't get such a good deal and will have to pay for equipment, etc. if done later. I thought "fine", they're not giving me time to make an INFORMED decision, and if I cancel, and they have to take their equipment back out, that's due to their haste. Since it's in, and time limited, vs. making an appointment a week or so away to install and having time to research, it's hard to find in so little time if this was really the right thing for me. It's a shame some companies operate like this.

So, I'm going out to fax the cancellation notice, has to be sent by midnight. That way if I fax it from Kinko's or something, hopefully I get a receipt that I sent it.

Another question: Since Apex removed my old ADT control panel and the electronics box in the basement, etc., are they responsible to re-install that for me? I would like to see if I could get a deal from someone else since I'm already (or was so) wired. Again, thanks for all the help.

"Danny Kewl" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Reply to
Danny Kewl

I also scanned the Google groups archive for Monitronics,

This kind of tactic should have raised a flag immediately! Installers out working at night, door knocking, etc etc etc. "Free" Six point systems with two of them already existing! My suggestion is, Run Forest Run. These programs are not meant to last. In many cases to keep the authorities, the BBB, the regulatory agencys off their back they will close down and reopen in another name. Sometimes dropping the parent (Monitornics) and then start selling for ADT. We call it the seven month business plan. They will burn out the area and move on. They are all the same. See how many Authorized Dealers are in business for any length of time. Next to none. Here today and gone tomarrow. They are all the same and the ADT's, Monitronics, Brinks of the world will use them up as fast as they come and really don't care if they go because the parent company is getting the contracts that are being sold and they don't care where they come from and that is really all they want. When an Authorized Dealer goes away there is another one ready to start up. Instead of the parent companies out selling systems, they are out recruiting dealers. The consumer is the one that suffers because they don't know any different. Just remember the perverbial old cliche's, "If it is to good to be true, it probably is. Or, "You get what you pay for" Or, "there is sucker born every minute". I am not trying to throw this in your face Danny, but this is you and your family's security and life safety. Get serious about this. There is nothing wrong with getting the best price on quotes from two or three reputable local dealers that have a track record in your community but don't fall for the "Free give away programs". They are never ever what they appear. They are selling paper (contracts) not security. The minute they walk out the door, that paper is sold to the parent company for somewhere around a grand and in their eyes you are gone too.

after I assume that's

Oldest sales line in the book. If anyone from any where tells you this, you are dealing with the wrong company. They know if they walk out without a contract they will never get one from you. That is sales and it applies to whatever is being sold. If they would have given you time to investigate the situation, they know you would not call them back. Sales people have a saying, "There is no such thing as a be-back". If they let you go, they know you will not be back.

I thought "fine", they're not

In most areas there is a "three day right of rescision on any home solitation".

It is only the majors. How else would someone get 5 million customers (ADT) unless they had everybody and their brother out pedaling their wares. The other mass marketers have followed suit.

Also send it certified mail, return receipt to both Montronics and Apex and include a copy of the fax showing the receipt on the fax. The contract, in the small print, usually stipulates how correspondence is to be handled.

Good luck even trying to get it back. If you still have it they aren't going to do anything for you. They will be pissed off enough because they have installed it and the contract is not able to be sold to Monitronics or they will have to re-imburse Monitronics for a contract that fell out if they have already been paid.

I would like to see if I could get a deal from someone else

Maybe for the wiring but not the equipment. You will be asking someone to take on liability for equipment that you or they really know nothing about as far as its reliability.

Good Luck!

Bob4Secur

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Bob Worthy wrote, among other things:

"They are all the same. See how many Authorized Dealers are in business for any length of time. Next to none. Here today and gone tomarrow. They are all the same and the ADT's, Monitronics, Brinks of the world will use them up as fast as they come and really don't care if they go because the parent company is getting the contracts that are being sold and they don't care where they come from and that is really all they want. When an Authorized Dealer goes away there is another one ready to

start up."

While I rarely post, I just couldn't pass up commenting on this. Bob, I think you're painting with too broad a brush here. I've been a Monitronics dealer since 1999, and the dealer program is better than it's ever been. While I will agree that there are dealers in every organization that are less than desirable, your insinuation that this is the rule, rather than the exception for Monitronics, is flat wrong.

I currently have only one salesman that door knocks, but his customers are some of the most satisfied we have. He gets many referals and never have I had to deal with a customer who believed he got less than he paid for. Granted, we charge far less than the $42 quoted this OP, but that's the free market.

Bossman

Reply to
Bossman

Norm, I don't know how old you are but I'm going to get a little philosophical with you, hopefully for the benefit of some of the younger people out there.

I've always had retirement in mind and began many years ago putting away and investing what I estimated was a proper amount of money for retirement. Through those years, I've had to double that "amount" twice, as the economy changed. Fortunately, I'll be living a pretty good life, but a good part due to the value of selling my accounts, when I decide it's time. The fortuitous advent of recurring revenue in this industry and selling multiples, has thrown me way over the top of any expectations I'd originally had. Had this not occured, even with all my preperation through the years, I would have had only a modest retirement income. My advice to all who aspire to living comfortably in retirement, put as much as you possibly can away now, ( note: if it doesn't hurt a little, it isn't enough) as it's going to become worth less and less over time. What you think is going to be a fortune in 30 or 40 years, isn't going to be worth the price of gas to drive to the welfare department.

Reply to
Jim

dealer since 1999, and the dealer program is better than

Probalby. I realize there are exceptions to every rule, however, when refering to something one tends to use the rule as the norm.(my mistake). I do know some good dealers in several of the dealer programs starting back when Westinghouse had their dealer program. It is just the program (concept) in general that has muddyed up the industry. Does it work for the dealer? If you are happy and successful with it, then obviously it works for you. In the past, I have been approached by different orgs trying to get me onboard. Not a single one, including Monitronics, offered a program that made long term financial sense. If anyone signs their dealership agreements without having their attorney look at it, probably hasn't applied it to a long term business plan to include retirement. Your situation may be different because I realize everyone cuts their own deal and I hope it all works out well for you. I just think that everything is not for everybody.

You say "we have". Did you hold on to these accounts or did you sell them to Monitornics?

He gets many referals and never

He is obviously doing his job and you should expect nothing less.

Granted, we charge far less than the $42 quoted this OP, but

I know.

Bob4Secur

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Bob4Secur wrote:

"If anyone signs their dealership agreements without having their attorney look at it, probably hasn't applied it to a long term business plan to include retirement".

I guess retirement must be a concern at your age..... Happy Birthday.

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

I second that emotion.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Back at ya!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Good advice, Jim. Unfortunately some don't think past that last sale. Loaded today and broke tomarrow is the norm for alot of the young business types. They will wake up around............... 50. Oooch! They won't be able to save fast enough. They can ask the question, "I wonder where I would be if I had all those accounts I sold?" If anyone wants to talk to an old timer that has gone through all of this, since 1984, where he is today and where he could have been if he would have listened to me, let me know. He will share his thoughts from experience.

Bob4Secur

>
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.