job quotes

I have a Excel spreadsheet I use for estimates...with all my commonly used parts in it. I don't charge by the point because after doin this for 20+ years I know how long it takes to do a job. The spreadsheet will calculate everything for me and I can adjust markup globally or by the part.

Then I just have a template for proposals in Word with most of the stuff already in it...bada bing. On small uncomplicated jobs it takes me no more than 10-15 minutes from estimate to faxing to client. For big jobs where I actually have to "think" about system design...it takes longer of course.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

We use a bid program that includes an average labor cost with each part we sell. All we need to do is count how many devices and what we want to use and it spits out the bid with labor built in. It takes a while to fine tune your labor numbers, but it works well for us.

James

Reply to
James

Any of you chaps that don't sub-contract care to share how you quote your average res jobs? This is driving me batty. I find I spend more time dicking around with mark-ups and estimating time (and these friggin things ALWAYS have surprises (whathefuck is a check 100 ?!?)) than I do installing the friggin' alarm. Do you price per point type thing or actually check the place out and guesstimate your time? It may sound funny, but yes, I am making money but I wish I could simplify the quote process.

Reply to
mikey

(whathefuck is a check 100 ?!?))

RTFM

Reply to
JoeRaisin

cutting and pasting what? I import the prices from the supplier supplied price list as csv right into excel once or twice a year.

and yep...doubling usually ends up about right...weird huh?!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It was a JOKE. I didn't have to read the manual. I remembered that I had bench programmed the board for a wireless keypad, not the basic one the client decided on. But thanks for the hot tip, asshole.

Reply to
mikey

Yah, I'm using Excel as well but you have to make sure your prices are current, cutting & pasting is tedious, and on and on... I bet you spend more than 15 minutes. Funny thing is I find most of the time I can double my parts cost and I'm pretty damn close. Even if I was low, I'd have saved all the Microsoft tinkering time.

Reply to
mikey

Not sure what you mean by a 'bid program' but I understand what you're saying. I'm pretty much doing the same thing with Excel, I just find it horribly time-consuming.

Reply to
mikey

wire BY THE FOOT?? This is amazing. Really? Never heard of that one, man you guys really do have the best pot! Never mind how you used to do it, what can I get NOW?

Reply to
mikey

There is no easy way to estimate a job. When I first got into the industry, Chubb used a standard "price book" that included a labour and material allowance for "cable" that was calculated by the foot. The sales guy had to lay out the job and estimate the amount of wire it was going to take. I was impressed with how accurate the sales guy's estimate often was. On some jobs we lost, but with Chubb's markups (in the 80's we could still charge $4000.00 for an install) that was rare indeed.

ISTR it was $2.22 per foot. We don't do residential except as a "favour" to existing customers. The market's just too crazy and I postively refuse to play "down there". Besides, I much prefer re-arranging all the sales literature on my counter... ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

We sell it by the "baggie" now... Ask for the contacts with the "extra filler" next time... ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

baggies is small time :-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

What bid program are you using? Is it specifically for alarm co.s or did you adapt a construction bid program?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.