job coordinator/scheduler?

HI, We currently have our installers also act as project managers. It's nice because it gives them more control and keeps them in the loop with all facets of the project. They do their own scheduling and coordinate with sales reps, customers and sub-contractors. They have in-house support for some tasks but still have a lot on their plates.

We're looking at assigning an in-house person to help with the scheduling/paperwork. How do most of you handle this? In theory, it would seem to help the installers work more efficiently - but I wonder if it doesn't often result in duplication of effort? The scheduler has to call the installer to verify and then the customer and then confirm to the installer, etc... does throwing another person in the mix streamline it - or make it more cumbersome? Would appreciate any experiences/ideas you're willing to share to promote efficiency/productivity.

Thanks!

Reply to
JW
Loading thread data ...

The way we work our company is with a service manager/project manager. She handles all the scheduling and dealing with customers. Once the appointment is set by her its a go, unless the customer informs us otherwise. She makes sure all the appropriate paper work is in order and has the stock for the jobs. If we need to add calls etc... we just give her a quick call and she lets us know when there is a slot. works fairly well. not many glitches. Except at 4pm on a friday before a long weekend when something needs to be fixed that broke on monday. BUT IT HAS TO BE DONE BEFORE THE WEEKEND!! Love when customers do that.

If you set it up right, and only let the one person handle it. It will work, But don't let multiple people do it. Get too many conflicts and people start getting messed up and overwhelmed. nothing hurts worse than double booking a tech, and messing all the calls up for the day.

Reply to
Devin

If you're going to assign the responsibility of scheduling jobs and service to a single individual you need someone that's immensely organized and "polished" in dealing with end-users/customers (no you can't have our gal - she's worth her weight in gold/diamonds and she knows it). He/she will become the "focal point" of your service department. Your sales staff will provide the contracts and other "hard copy" install/service orders. It's up to the scheduler to keep these organized.

We schedule work an entire week in advance. On Monday mornings we have a service meeting where the guys hand in their paper-work from the previous week and pick up the stuff they need to do in the current week. Problems they've encountered during the week and suggestions for improving things are also kicked around at that time. The best crew is also awarded their prize at that time and honorable mentions from customers are passed on as well. For every "honorable mention" we kick in a $20.00 cash bonus and the guy/crew with the most at the end of that week also get a dinner and a case of their favorite "brewski".

In addition to scheduling jobs, your scheduler will also have to keep on top of the ones in progress. This requires daily feedback from the field so that problems that may require additonal parts or hours are dealt with at that time. We have two service "floaters" that can pick up the slack on installs as well as deal with the regular service issues that crop up during the course of the day. We rotate the guys on service on a weekly basis so everyone stays "sharp" and on top of their game. We use a scheduling software package that was custom designed for us. It keeps track of hours on jobs, service labour, cost per man/hour, parts, etc. It also tracks feedback from the field so we can print out a synopsis of current work in progress and know exactly where our guys are, what they're working on, and whether-or-not we're actually making money on a specific job.

Reply to
Frank Olson

It also helps if the scheduler/coordinator is an ex-tech or perhaps a quality control person that can do schduling as well. There is NOTHING worse than a secretary scheduling a job 40 miles in the wrong direction or not knowing how long it "should" take a tech to trim out a 256 zone alarm panel...that can really muck up a schedule. A person with a little tech background knows how long it should take to complete a job in a timely manner. I had a person schedule a job on 123 Main Street, then sent that guy across town to another job, as he was leaving he saw another one of our trucks two blocks away from 123 Main Street...boy did that piss me off.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Hi there...

Noticing your request for help, I realised that what you were asking for was pretty much similiar to what we are doing at the moment.

There are major differences though. We operate a central alarm monitoring station. We use a software called A-traq. The software has a module called the technician module. Now the advantage of this is that we can assign a 3rd party installer to schedule and monitor their present sites. All activities are accomplished through our web-server.

The Master code enters the system and gives access codes to technicians working in his company. He then goes and assigns an installation to a technician giving all relevant information forhand. The technician, which does not have to come to the company as long as he has stock in the back of his truck, looks at the web-site through a portable internet access gadget (such as a pocket PC or a notebook). As soon as he logs in, he will see that he has been assigned a duty to install a system. He has complete details on the system as to where the installation is to be made, what is to be installed, what special requests were made from the customeri etc. So he goes to the location and looking at the information starts to install the system. Once he has completed his installation, he logs on again and is given an account number to program the panel for sending alarms to the central monitoring station. Next he starts to enter all relevant information into the pocket PC instead of filling out forms. As soon as he has completed all of the information, he shows the customer the details and once all is confirmed just clicks on save and the data is stored into the database. The CMS is now ready to act to any alarms from that point forward. He may continue to test the system (WatchDog feature) and make sure that all signals are coming to the CMS.

The master code can also view all customers bellonging to themselves and view any information if the customer requires any aftersales help.

I must admit that I have explained only 10% of the system but it is the ultimate automation to really cut costs and time and give better service and after sales support. I am now able to support all 3rd party companies and give them freedom in playing around with there own customers.

For more information on the software log on to

formatting link

Good lock.

Reply to
Okitoki

Hmm. The poster calling himself "A-Traq" uses practically the same e-mail address as this poster who says he's a satisfied customer of A-Traq. Is this company located in Telluride by any chance??? :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

website says Turkey (?)

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

You caught me!! But believe me when I say I do more good than promote our software!!

But we are located in Istanbul, Turkey, just for your information.

Should I go on as A-traq or Okitoki?

Cheers.

Robert L. Bass wrote:

Reply to
Okitoki

Feel free to post nice things about your products. Please don't pretend to be a satisfied customer when you're plugging your wares though. It's a definite turn-off.

No problem there. As long as the SW works it makes no difference where it was written.

Do whatever you like but say who you are.

I prefer NYPD Blue.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Looking for any help, Frank?

Reply to
Joe

Pipe Dream actually. Wouldn't want to re-locate at this point.... but, what parts do you hail from?

My current employer treats us pretty good, but those immediate incentives are pretty cool. We used to do things like that when I worked in and/or ran maintenance shops in the Marines.

What really got me was the use of the term "crew". My Employer has decided it is more cost efficient to do about 95% of the installs as one man deals, even when the salesman says there may be some difficult fishes. But between gadgets from LSD Inc. and learning how to 'drive' a steel fish tape from some of the old timers I am doing pretty good. But sometimes you just need someone to wiggle the damned thing so you can find it...

Our area covers 2.5 to 3 hours drive in any direction and a few times a year even farther. They are liberal with the overtime and that's OK with me. Pretty decent benefits and a 25% match on the 401K earns quite a lot of loyalty from me.

My... I do ramble on don't I....

Reply to
Joe

I'm always on the lookout for good people.

Reply to
Frank Olson

What are you now?? The Moderator?? Sheesh... you're the *last* person I'd accept advice from with respect to "netiquette".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Vancouver B. C.

Anything that's over eight hours means two guys. If the sales guy flags a job as being "difficult" then that automatically rates two guys.

Sounds about right.

We ain't so "liberal" with overtime. I find most people like to get home at a decent hour. The exception to the rule is service. I get to decide on who goes out on the after hours calls (depending on the panel, the problem, and the anticipated degree of difficulty in dealing with the customer). I often attend service calls myself (both during the day and after hours). It gives me an opportunity to survey the installation and make sure the guys are following the company procedures manual. With us, quality is everything (and our customers have come to appreciate that).

Not as long as some... ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

What products to you tend to use? security and card access?

Reply to
Devin

Northern (lower peninsula) Michigan, U.S. My lovely bride hails from the Philippines... Michigan winters are bad enough for her...

That's what we say... and really, that's about the only 'real' complaint I have ... guess things ain't so bad.

The overtime is really up to the tech. If I want to pack up and go home at 5 then, except in rare occasions, nobody's going to complain. But if I want to work late and get a job scheduled for two days done in 10-12 hours then they are quite happy to find something for me to do tomorrow (like I did today - picked up several back logged service calls)

As long as the jobs are getting done within the allocated time, and getting done up to our standards then the company is happy.

Quality hasn't been an issue here in our Northern area, most of us (10 techs) are late 30's to mid 40's and are both competent and give a damn about the job we do. I do work that I would want if I was paying someone else to do it in my house - if a wire stapled down the living room wall would piss me off... I assume it would piss them off too...

Taking 2 seconds extra to ensure each connection can save you 2 hours of troubleshooting later on. Especially on big commercial fire jobs. I prefer residential myself.

Our scheduler is currently scheduling 2-3 weeks out and that's about how it stays.

As far as after hours service, we rotate a week at a time, we have a lot of seasonal homes so much of it is over the phone helping folks remember how to work their systems. For the tougher ones - we got a good crew and someone up against it can usually find someone else willing to come and help out.

But I am trying... ;-))

Reply to
Joe

Ummm... Lesseee.. DSC, Paradox, and Ademco for the straight "security" side... Access control we use Kantech, Northern (I know, I know - it's not by "choice"), KeyScan, Sentex.... Oh... and we have some Hirsh and CardKey systems as well... I'd pretty well service what ever's out there.

Reply to
Frank Olson

"Frank Olson" a écrit dans le message de news: KPmze.1896859$6l.1540282@pd7tw2no...

Hey Frank need a service man?

I prefer Wine to beer..I will take a case of any modestly right red wine anytime...

LOL

I am looking for a project manger job too...

tired of earing customer tell me when i go servicing there rigs that there is no one in charge of the instalation that went there and check what was happening...

Reply to
petem

I trust you realise Olson makes this stuff up as he goes along. He doesn't own any part of an alarm installing company. He's not licensed. He works behind the counter at a small distributor in BC.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Whats the name of the distributor?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.