Is swann security good enough

I have a door alarm system and on top of that I want to install a security camera system. I bought a Swann 4 channel MPEG-4 DVR along with 4 CCD cameras also by Swann security from a local retail store.

Swann security is an australian security company

formatting link

DVR specs

Frame 720 X 480 pixels with 30 IPS CIF 352 X 240 pixels with 120 IPS Watermark USB and network remote rcording backup Alarm trigger recording will send email alert Advanced motion detection function Web surveillance Support covert screen for live view channels Support PELCO-D protocol

1 HDD base built-in System auto recovery after power reconnected support manual/timer/motion/alarm recording functions support tcp/ip, PPPoE, DHCP and DDNS functions video loss detection web transmitting compression format - Motion JPEG Hard disk - IDE, ATA66, Pre alarm recording 8MB Motion detection sensitivity - 16X12 grids per camera Refresh rate - 120 images per second Adjustable recording speed Video output - Main monitor output - composite video signal 1Vp-p 75 BNC Call monitor output - 1Vp-p 75 BNC Video compression format - MPEG4

The system did not come with a hard disk. I bought a USB drive 140MB. Would that be enough or do I have to buy a hard drive and install it inside the DVR. The DVR does have USB support and a USB port but I am not sure if I can just plug in the USB drive and let it record on that drive instead of installing a hard drive inside the DVR.

Can the experts here give some suggestions if swann security products are good and if not what would be a better alternative. Bought the DVR for $400 and 4 CCD infrared night vision camera pack for $200 both by swann security. Swann also makes bull dog cams and I believe the cameras I got are the same when I compared the specs though it doesnt say they are bull dog model.

I am doing this to protect myself from being harmed by the big brother. Its a one bedroom apartment with one door and two windows.

Anybody here who really values our constitution and human rights, please help how I can make it as hard as possible for the big brother crooks from getting inside my apartment. Any suggestions about ex-fbi or cia agents practicing as private investigators with extensive knowledge in bug sweeps in the sanfrancisco area would also be very helpful.

Reply to
McGinn
Loading thread data ...

First off, stop being so paranoid. If you're getting a system to keep big brother out, you're wasting your time. In fact, you'd probably just help them out if they were watching you. They could do a sneek and peek and install a wireless transmitter in your machine without you ever knowing it. So don't even waste your time with a camera system unless you plan on buying a couple and installing redundant systems. They can outspend you any day of the week and besides, they're probably too busy chasing after Osama Bin Ladin (hahaha I'm sorry, what was I thinking? I forgot who was in charge). If they're targeting you, you'd never know it and if you knew it, you're system isn't going to help you anyway. So don't look to a box with a camera to provide your security. No the best thing you can do to guard against big brother is to stop sitting in your house and go out and get active. In times such as these, if you're spending any time at home, it should only be to sleep. It's time to get out and put an end to this ignorance and not cower behind a security system.

Reflect on these two quotes for a moment: "Those who give up liberty for security, deserve neither" T. Jefferson and "A coward dies a thousand times before his death; The valiant ne'er taste of death but once." - Shakespeare, from Julius Caesar. This is America, it's not easy but dammit it'll remain free as long as the people live free. The second you cower in fear, you become a slave to that fear. I refuse to be a slave and no American should fear Big Brother or any other brother for that matter. Also keep in mind, if they're watching us that means they're more afraid than we are of them. They're grabbing a tiger by the tail and they are too afraid to let go.

With that said, I'm sure this system is okay. It looks better than a sams club special but my guess is, this is going to be pretty low quality stuff. You may have gotten lucky but the higher you get your hopes, the lower they can fall. Just hook it up and guage the quality yourself. If you've already bought it, there's no reason to not hook it up. Try it out, if you like it, keep it.

My best guess on the USB port is that it is for keyboard use solely but they may have added external hdd support. I can't see why they would but it wouldn't be an absolutely terrible idea either. Having a detachable hard-drive would make moving large amounts of data quickly, a hell of a lot easier but I haven't used one that did this; so I don't know. My advice, get the biggest hd your system can handle and make it internal.

If you're worried about outside attacks on your system, don't use the network features at all. Also, you'll want a security system to guard this thing. You'll need something solid that has a cell backup as well as a landline connection that calls you in the event of an emergency. I'd setup a secondary monitoring source as well, say a completely different company that dispatches to a completely different address. Most security panels offer secondary telephone numbers but it would be better to install a completely seperate system for the second alarm panel. These measures should help but there is no substitute for a ferocius animal like a panther or wild boar. Let that sucker loose in your pad and Big Brother definitely won't stay long. I'm not sure if your local ordinances will allow you to keep a wild animal and it probably would cost a fortune and you'd run the risk of being eaten yourself but it's about the best bet to ensure your safety.

Reply to
mikelewis1971

Wrap the apartment in two double layers of tinfoil.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Unfortunately the unit you chose from "Swann" has the integrated XLP32 chip which allows a back-door access for government agencies. The XLP32 was designed in conjunction with NATO and other friendly governments to make sure terrorists can not record video that is encrypted.

Reply to
G. Morgan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

js

Reply to
alarman

Thats now been updated

The new XLP 32.1 can also see through Lead lined walls

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Wow. Does it offer real-time two-way voice response, too?? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yah but everyone had guns back then.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

A friend of mine works for an un-named agency...he told me that there's a new technology incorporated into the XLP 32.1 v 2 that can actually interpret brainwaves and convert them to .mpeg for upload/download/ipod.

| >>Anybody here who really values our constitution and human rights, please | >>help how I can make it as hard as possible for the big brother crooks from | >>getting inside my apartment. Any suggestions about ex-fbi or cia agents | >>practicing as private investigators with extensive knowledge in bug sweeps | >>in the sanfrancisco area would also be very helpful. | >

| >

| > Unfortunately the unit you chose from "Swann" has the integrated XLP32 | > chip which allows a back-door access for government agencies. The | > XLP32 was designed in conjunction with NATO and other friendly | > governments to make sure terrorists can not record video that is | > encrypted. | | Thats now been updated | | The new XLP 32.1 can also see through Lead lined walls | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

What ever I said is for real and I am under 24X7 surveillance by big brother en-ess-a. I am an american citizen with clean record. I am not a muslim.

If you tell me how this is possible I can at least try covering up that loophole. I currently have ADT landline as well as a cell backup door alarm system.

Would a secondary cheap redundant system be enough and if so, can you suggest how to do it.

I dont like islam personally but big brother is using enormous free resources at taxpayers expense to torture me.

America ceased to be a free country long time back. Majority of american sheep have trouble accepting it.

Can you tell me various methods how they can possibly break into my system so I can atleast be aware of how they might possibly do it.

I am not cowering behind a security system. I am trying to get evidence to fight big brother in court.

Big brother is nothing but an organization of psychoppaths. I prefer to fight them as much as I can rather than run away like a typical american slave.

The DVR says it can handle up to 400GB.

Thought it will be an additional layer of security so I can watch my apt over the internet remotely from a different location.

The current panel is from GE. How do I set up the secondary monitoring, Can you suggest me the process.

Unfortunately panthers or dogs are not an option at this time. Please respond to my queries.

Reply to
McGinn

You can continue to live like dumb american morons in a small well which is exactly what big brother wants americans to be.

Reply to
McGinn

Can you suggest a better system I can buy in local retail stores. I can always return swann and buy a different better system. Is it possible to turn that XLP32 chip off. I am not a muslim. Majority of american sheep think big brother tortures only muslim terrorists.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
McGinn

You are utterly confused. In this thread previously you suggested tin foil and now you are talking about a chip that interprets brainwaves. Make up your confused mind first before posting crap on this forum.

Reply to
McGinn

Tin foil won't stop the technology these guys are talking about.

ME confused? Dood, take your meds before it's too late. What makes you think big brother (whomever he is) gives one little constipated crap about a pissant like you? Really...get on with life man. Take the pills...take the pills..take the pills.

| >

| > | >>Anybody here who really values our constitution and human rights, | > please | > | >>help how I can make it as hard as possible for the big brother crooks | > from | > | >>getting inside my apartment. Any suggestions about ex-fbi or cia | > agents | > | >>practicing as private investigators with extensive knowledge in bug | > sweeps | > | >>in the sanfrancisco area would also be very helpful. | > | >

| > | >

| > | > Unfortunately the unit you chose from "Swann" has the integrated XLP32 | > | > chip which allows a back-door access for government agencies. The | > | > XLP32 was designed in conjunction with NATO and other friendly | > | > governments to make sure terrorists can not record video that is | > | > encrypted. | > | | > | Thats now been updated | > | | > | The new XLP 32.1 can also see through Lead lined walls | > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's too late. Big Brother is already watching you with your own computer.

" Microsoft has released this beta version to let future customers participate in testing. The Magic Camera will activate your screen to make it light sensitive. It will work like a digital camera. This enables you to have a picture on your very own computer. It is completely secure. Only you will be able to view your picture. No personal information is collected. You're invited to test the camera yourself. System Requirements: Your computer / monitor should be no more than 4 years old. "

See for yourself:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yep! dumb american but not a paranoid nutjob like you.... Feel free to leave American anytime.

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

This guy's premise is absurd. How's buying a DVR gonna protect him from "big brother" anywah? Sheesh...this guy's almost as much fun as Paulie.

| >Thanks for your help. | | | It's too late. Big Brother is already watching you with your own | computer. | | | " Microsoft has released this beta version to let future customers | participate in testing. | The Magic Camera will activate your screen to make it light sensitive. | It will work like a digital camera. This enables you to have a picture | on your very own computer. | It is completely secure. Only you will be able to view your picture. | No personal information is collected. | You're invited to test the camera yourself. | System Requirements: Your computer / monitor should be no more than 4 | years old. " | | See for yourself: | |

formatting link
| | | | -- | | -Graham | | remove the double 'e' to email me. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

So for argument's sake let's say the authorities are watching you, and because you installed this system you catch them in the act. Exactly who do you expect to report them to, and what actions do you believe would be taken against them? "ummm hello police? Yes send the police quick because the police just broke in here" You should start wearing a top hat, a monacle, and carrying a cane because you are the biggest nut I've seen that wasn't packaged by Planter's.

McG> >

Reply to
Everywhere Man

And a lot of us still do, and always will. js

Reply to
alarman

Stop moving around so much. I can't see you anymore...no, wait...never mind. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.