IP network CCTV

------=AD------------

RHC: Understood ! I'm not into cameras at all - the narrow market niche I work in doesn't include anything but full priced monitored alarms. I just wanted to make sure this simple solution wasn't overlooked.

Reply to
tourman
Loading thread data ...

=A0It's also obvious that most of my

RHC: Not to throw you flowers, but that's why you are a professional in this business.

IMO, being a "professional" in any business is being honest, selling nothing under false pretenses, and backing up quality installations with quality service (that leaves out all of the money hungry, "contract monkeys" in our industry large and small).

I hate sounding "superior" but in the alarm industry, it's pretty damn easy to be so.

Reply to
tourman

Or use a DYNDNS service and run an update client on one of the computers on the network.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No disrespect Jim, but where have you been? Internet access to DVRs has been around for a while. I think I did my first setup 8-9 years ago, and I wasn't one of the first by any means. That's just when it started to get affordable.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hmmm .....Sounds like you have a "superiority complex" which is much better than an "inferiority simplex"

Reply to
Jim

Heh heh heh ..... No offense taken.

The fact that the clients don't want to actually record anything and they live right next door ........ is the reason I thought of a Wi Fi camera system. I've never used one so I thought I ask here.

I can set up a DVR with no problem. Well .... sometimes port forwarding gives me a problem because I don't do many CCTV systems, but muddling through and a call to tech support usually gets me through it. I can do Linksys pretty good now but every once in awhile I'll get someone who's got a Tonka Toy router and no directions, setup disk or password . I've even gone out to Office Depot and contributed a Linksys router to the job, so I could get the fricking job done. It's cheaper to spend the $69.00 for the new router than futz around with the Tonka Toy for 2 hours.

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Maybe I do feel superior, but look around you !! When you see all the "contract monkeys", "free system" companies, and all the other bullsh*t and generally sleazy shenanigans going on in our industry, doesn't that make you feel a little superior ? You sell without deception, and conduct yourself in an honest manner with customers....what's wrong with that ! That conduct makes it pretty damn easy to feel "superior"....(as well you should...)

Reply to
tourman

formatting link

Reply to
Techvoid

I think I've said this here before but ..... sometimes people will ask me how I've been able to run my business successfully for so many years ..... The big secret is ....

Tell your customer what you are going to do ...... and ..... DO IT!

Nothing less and usually more than they asked for.

Big secret ...... eh?

Here's something else that has guided me for a lot of years also. It was posted in the office of one of my customers and I copied it and it now has hangs over my desk for over 30 years. He said that he got it from an old book and didn't know who the author was.

Master of human destinies am I. Fame, love and fortune on my footsteps wait.

Cities and fields I walk. I penetrate deserts and seas remote, and passing by hovel and mart and palace, soon or late.

If sleeping ..... wake. If feasting ...... rise before I turn away. It is the hour of fate and they who follow me reach every state.

Mortals desire and conquer every foe, save death. But those who doubt or hesitate, are condemned to failure, penury and woe.

Seek me in vain and uselessly implore, I answer not and return no more.

Opportunity

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for that but ..... yes I seen these types of systems but I have this little problem..

For the life of me .... I just can't seem to figure out why I have to pay my ISP provider for internet access and then pay Honeywell for some more ...... Internet access. I'm sure there's got to be a way to just send streaming video from a Wi-Fi camera to someones computer without having Honeywell or anyone else getting a couple of bucks out of it. I don't mind the couple of bucks ..... I just have a problem with giving someone money for doing something that isn't actually ..... anything. There's just no reason for Honeywell to be cashing in on this.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for that but ..... yes I seen these types of systems but I have this little problem..

For the life of me .... I just can't seem to figure out why I have to pay my ISP provider for internet access and then pay Honeywell for some more ...... Internet access. I'm sure there's got to be a way to just send streaming video from a Wi-Fi camera to someones computer without having Honeywell or anyone else getting a couple of bucks out of it. I don't mind the couple of bucks ..... I just have a problem with giving someone money for doing something that isn't actually ..... anything. There's just no reason for Honeywell to be cashing in on this.

you don't have to pay unless you want to view it through alarm net. you can view it free at home. or am I wrong.

Reply to
Techvoid

Yes, at home is free but the son wanted to look in on mom from work, too.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.