IP cameras on ring topology, not star

The person in charge of the project told me he was not keen on going wireless.

Personally, I would consider it.

Reply to
Pat Coghlan
Loading thread data ...

This may be a good opportunity to educate your customer on secure wireless technology. Secure, encrypted wireless is in many ways more secure than hardwired systems. You can't cut wires where they don't exist.

If your customer is worried about interference, check into licensed wireless and stay away from the 802.11 stuff.

We've done numerous projects using wireless technology including DHS and DoD sites. Well known examples are the Port of Oakland and MassPort.

A couple links to check out:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
J. Sloud

formatting link

An additional benfit with wireless: you're looking at using hired mooks to set it up and want the simplest cabling solution possible because they aren't that technically competent... wireless would eliminate that problem: the cameras could all be pre-configured in your shop or office or whatever, so all the workers would need to do is mount the cameras and plug them in to power.

As this is only a temporary installation, what's supposed to happen with all this equipment afterward? A lack of cables would certainly make take-down and cleanup a lot more efficient.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Yeah, I think it's worth flying it by the project manager again.

Thanks.

Matt I>> >>

formatting link

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

formatting link

Reply to
Matt Ion

Or you can post his concerns here. Some of us have probably dealt with them before.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.