Insurance "alarm sensor"/monitoring requirements?

For a two story three bedroom home with garage door, back door, and front door. One bedroom downstairs, two bedrooms upstairs....

For burglary, what do insurance companies require for *minimum* devices installed to get the highest discount off your insurance. (Like all perimeter doors have sensors, one interior motion sensor, U.L. monitoring station???)

For fire? (minimum number of smoke detectors/heat sensors, etc., and where installed???)

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

I issue my own certificates to insurance companies because generally the ones they want filled out are totally ignorant.

I specify whether the homeowner certain types of detection Perimeter Interior Glassbreakage Smoke Detectors Daily Test Signal Monitored or Local Panic Police Panic Fire Basically a general overview.

On fire we are always asked to install just ONE smoke detector so they can get their fire discount. **NOT!** We either do fire the right way or we won't do it at all.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

All most insurance companies require is confirmation (usually a certificate) stating that there is a "system" installed and that it's being monitored for burg and fire. Even the certificates we issue don't detail the level of protection. As far as I'm concerned that's no one's buisness but the home-owner. That *is* why they call it "security", after all. :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

What do you do for residential fire if they already have smokes in all the bedrooms, hallways, etc. as in the new homes? js

Reply to
alarman

I go by the old code...within 15 ft of sleeping area or the ceiling height diff. is more than whatever inches the code is ( i forget right now). Most people won't buy 9 alarm smokes in addition to the 9 that came with the house. So they'd end up with the 9 sparky smokes plus maybe 4 or so more.

| > I specify whether the homeowner certain types of detection | > Perimeter | > Interior | > Glassbreakage | > Smoke Detectors | > Daily Test Signal | > Monitored or Local | > Panic Police | > Panic Fire | > Basically a general overview. | >

| > On fire we are always asked to install just ONE smoke detector so they can | > get their fire discount. **NOT!** We either do fire the right way or we | > won't do it at all. | >

| | What do you do for residential fire if they already have smokes in all the | bedrooms, hallways, etc. as in the new homes? | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Burglary, there's no minimum requirement that I know of, except some may "require" central station hookup.

Fire, on the other hand, must have central station hook up for maximum discount. As far as sensor requirements, it seems that most insurance companies don't indicate how many sensors should be installed. I guess because each house is different and layout and occupied areas differ also. Minimum UL requirements however, are at least one detector on each level. But, I always point out those areas where more detection would be adviseable and the home owner decides. Keep in mind that Home Insurance companies are not so much concerned about whether you survive or not. They just don't want to pay for your burnt down house.

Reply to
Jim

I always specified that there be a minimum of one smoke in each bedroom, one within 12 feet outside of every bedroom door, one per living level (all but the attic or garage) and one between the garage and the main part of the house where appropriate. Spacing does, as you mentioned, vary with ceiling height, obstructions, etc.

For a long while that wasn't allowed in some districts. The current code allows "additional protection" without forcing you to duplicate the 110VAC smokes that the electrician spec'd as part of the building permit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.