Installers Wanted

That's a long commute mate!

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

And he'd have to get used to reading manuals right-side-up... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Probably wouldn't be interested in paying your moving costs.

Otherwise... why not?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

They'd have to get a visa (unless they have one).. probably H1-B.. probably have to prove to US immigration that you couldn't find anyone in the US? H1-B visas take forever don't they?

Bob La L>

Reply to
Michelle

There is an idea. I really can't. Just guys who are totally unqualified wanting to be the boss for more money than I make. Heck, I almost hired a kid today with absolutely no experience or education in the field until I pulled his background report.

I cancelled my ad on Monster.com this morning. Got tired of lazy treasure hunters sending me resumes.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

What are you offering? You're not one of those Jim R. speaks of that wants installers to use their own trucks, pay their own health insurance, have no retirement plan, work for a barely livable wage, and be available 27/7 at your beck-and-call are you? It works both ways - someone already said it, you get what you pay for. What are you offering????

Reply to
G. Morgan

No I have several nice service trucks, but in construction its a common practice to pay a vehicle allowance instead of providing a truck. This allows those guys who otherwise could not be employable due to DUIs and excessive tickets to work.

Health insurance is always paid by the employee one way or another. If they don't make enough money to cover it they don't work long. My payroll agency has a managed healthcare program available to anybody after they have been working with us for three months.

401K Is also available through our agency.

We also offer paid vacation after the first year.

Above average for the area.

No, but I expect all qualified techs to be on call atleast in rotation. I have been on call 24/7 for 13 years. Expecting to be in this industry and bnever be on call is just stupid. I would also expect them to use accuarte terms in describing something even if in sarcasm.

No you don't. I have been doing this for a long time. I had one guy quit for a cut in pay because he thought there was more stability in a government job. The guy IS on call 24/7 now and works late 3-5 days a week. Oops. He still does some part time work for me on a piece work basis and when he does he makes way more than he does at his government job. Hell, his part time work for me made the down payment on his new house.

What are you offering?

I am offering hard work for a reasonable paycheck. I am offering responsibility in exchange for reliability.

I will not hire DRUNKS, DRUG ADDICTS, OR FELONS. Why these guys even apply to an add that clearly says MVR report required, drug screens mandatory, and Background Checks done I have no idea.

In a market where the largest employers are retail and farm work and the farm work pays better than retail I pay well above market for entry level and very well for somebody who can do the job. Oh yeah, and both of those large employment bases are very strongly subject to seasonal layoffs. I have had more work than I can handle year around for many years.

So much thanks for your ever so helpful reply.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'm glad I'm done with employee headaches. I'm back to being a family owned/operated company...none of those old days problems. There's a lot to be said about downsizing!

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:44eef67f$0$8831$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com... | "G. Morgan" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:31:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe" | > wrote: | >

| >>"Michelle" wrote in message | >>news:oO0Hg.16873$tP4.12635@clgrps12... | >>> They'd have to get a visa (unless they have one).. probably H1-B.. | >>> probably have to prove to US immigration that you couldn't find anyone | >>> in | >>> the US? H1-B visas take forever don't they? | >>

| >>There is an idea. I really can't. Just guys who are totally unqualified | >>wanting to be the boss for more money than I make. Heck, I almost hired a | >>kid today with absolutely no experience or education in the field until I | >>pulled his background report. | >>

| >>I cancelled my ad on Monster.com this morning. Got tired of lazy treasure | >>hunters sending me resumes. | >

| >

| > What are you offering? You're not one of those Jim R. speaks of that | > wants installers to use their own trucks, | | No I have several nice service trucks, but in construction its a common | practice to pay a vehicle allowance instead of providing a truck. This | allows those guys who otherwise could not be employable due to DUIs and | excessive tickets to work. | | > pay their own health | > insurance, | | Health insurance is always paid by the employee one way or another. If they | don't make enough money to cover it they don't work long. My payroll agency | has a managed healthcare program available to anybody after they have been | working with us for three months. | | > have no retirement plan, | | 401K Is also available through our agency. | | We also offer paid vacation after the first year. | | > work for a barely livable wage, | | Above average for the area. | | > and be available 27/7 at your beck-and-call are you? | | No, but I expect all qualified techs to be on call atleast in rotation. I | have been on call 24/7 for 13 years. Expecting to be in this industry and | bnever be on call is just stupid. I would also expect them to use accuarte | terms in describing something even if in sarcasm. | | > It works both | > ways - someone already said it, you get what you pay for. | | No you don't. I have been doing this for a long time. I had one guy quit | for a cut in pay because he thought there was more stability in a government | job. The guy IS on call 24/7 now and works late 3-5 days a week. Oops. He | still does some part time work for me on a piece work basis and when he does | he makes way more than he does at his government job. Hell, his part time | work for me made the down payment on his new house. | | > What are | > you offering???? | | What are you offering? | | I am offering hard work for a reasonable paycheck. I am offering | responsibility in exchange for reliability. | | I will not hire DRUNKS, DRUG ADDICTS, OR FELONS. Why these guys even apply | to an add that clearly says MVR report required, drug screens mandatory, and | Background Checks done I have no idea. | | In a market where the largest employers are retail and farm work and the | farm work pays better than retail I pay well above market for entry level | and very well for somebody who can do the job. Oh yeah, and both of those | large employment bases are very strongly subject to seasonal layoffs. I | have had more work than I can handle year around for many years. | | So much thanks for your ever so helpful reply. | | -- | Bob La Londe | | | | -- | Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
|

Reply to
Crash Gordon

How do you handle taking a vaction or even a long weekend?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I sort of wonder why someone would be an security system installer unless they really enjoy that work (which is more the case for me).

If a person goes for an electrical apprenticeship here in Canada (alberta) you can make $30/hr.

Michelle

Bob La L>

Reply to
Michelle

and 99% of time its a user error thing that can be dealt with via phone, so CS will call me and I'll contact the client from wherever I am. Plus, I remember every system I put in, so that helps too :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thats about 25 USD right? Not out of line for an electrician a little higher than this market, but then the cost of living is lower here. Of course in most states an electrician is a protected trade forcing both prices and wages up. Sounds a little high for an apprentice though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, I even remember systems I didn't put it. LOL. Doesn't help if the wife wants to take a cruise or if I have an opportunity to visit China. (had to pass on that a few years back)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sorry.. the +/- $30/hr is for once you have your journeymans ticket. Apprentices are paid a certain percentage of a journeymans wage.. I think it was like 45%, 55%, 65% and 75% for 1st yr, 2nd yr, 3rd yr and

4th year.

Actually according to this site the wages aren't bad:

formatting link

Bob La L>

Reply to
Michelle

Not all of us go away at the same time.

I have two other alarmco (long time friends/associates) that will cover for me, and I cover for them if they go oot.

I rarely have service problems, except low batteries, anyway so even if my backup companies don't know the product I use (one does, the other doesn't) it's usually not a problem

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've worked for family run businesses and I prefer them because there is little politics, and you're not just "number" to the employer. Call me silly, but its just a warmer environment.

Michelle

Crash Gord> I'm glad I'm done with employee headaches. I'm back to being a family

Reply to
Michelle

I thought you didn't hire drunks.

Health insurance costs are usually subsidized by the employer, mine for example pays 75% of the cost. There is no way I could afford buying it outright.

That's good. Do you have matching funds?

That's good too, at least 2 weeks I assume?

That's not saying much if it's in .. "a market where the largest employers are retail and farm work". How does your offering compare to other alarm companies in the area? Why don't you post it here?

That's fair.

Irrelevant.

No, it's not. I would expect to be informed up front if I was required to be in the on-call rotation, and be compensated for carrying the phone.

I wasn't using sarcasm. Actually I wasn't referring to on-call, I was referring to those types that demand weekend work and long hours without so much as asking if I had plans. Maybe you've seen the kind, I have.

What I meant by "you get what you pay for" is: a knowledgeable tech that will work hard and be reliable don't come cheap. I believe you refer to them as "treasure hunters".

I'm not the one looking for help or work. If I was, I'd offer you an honest days work for an honest days pay. Of course, I want all the aforementioned benefits too. ;-)

Responsibility? For what? All the technician wants is to live comfortably and have minimum responsibility. If I wanted to have your headaches I'd start my own company in exchange for more financial gain. When I clock out your business is the last thing on my mind.

In Texas that's the law.

Good.

You're welcome. I can see my response pressed a couple of buttons with you, that was not my intention. It's just that I've seen too many mom & pop operations that want the world from their employees and aren't willing to pay for it. That's why I was (and still am) asking what your offer was (is). If you have a great deal for a good tech. perhaps someone will read your ad and be willing to relocate.

Take Care,

-Graham

Reply to
G. Morgan

Never said I did, just pointing out that your view on the world isn't the only one or even the best one. I know most big general contractors pay their supervisors a more than fair truck allowance instead of providing them with a truck. The only thing they throw int hat might stick in some craws is they usually require it to be less than X number of years old to maintain good appearances.

Where do you think that money comes from? If you think that you aren't producing it through your own work then you are very confused about business. If your specific work is not generating the revenue to pay 100% of your health insurance no matter whose name is on the checks then you don't understand how business works.

Depends. If the tech was experience when they started maybe. If they started with no knowledge and no skills and are just becoming a tech after a year doubtful. But then I suppose you think you get what you pay for only applies to the employer. It goes both ways.

I have had guys from other alarm companies apply and tell me what they are making. Its comparable to some and better than others.

Hey, we agree on something.

No its not. It may not mean squat to you or anybody else looking for a job, but it is very important to me, and how an employee responds to being on call is certainly part of the hiring process. You may not care, but it is definitely relevant.

You disagree and then agree. I think we may just have a management vs labor viewpoint on this one. Sounds like you do agree with my statement.

Yep, I have worked for them.

No, A knowledgable tech will earn whatever they are getting and a little more to cover the service truck he drives, the insuracne for the company and whatever other overhead is needed, and small profit for the owner or stock holders. He should get paid well, but that is not what I called a treasure hunter and you know it. A treasure hunter is the guy who sends a resume to a tech position that is clearly underqualied, asks for a management position, and wants more moeny than the owner of the business makes. Perhaps treasure hunter was to polite a term. Deluded and semi-literate to read is probably more accurate.

And you would get them if you earned them.

I wish it was the law here. Better yet I wish it was a crime to apply for a job that they know can't hire them for either liability or legal reasons with those backgrounds.

After all the headaches I have seen on this newsgroup I would never post an offer here, but anybody who was serious could have checked my Monster.com listing before I pulled it.

(This part is editorial.) Personally I think you come off as the guy who walks in the door saying I KNOW how to do all this stuff, and I KNOW what I am worth, and I WON'T even start so I can show you unless YOU PROMISE me top of the world benis and pay. And I'm the guy who has heard it all before. Seriously. Show me. If you can't show me I can show you... the door. Been burned one too many times. You have to remember I have been doing this for over 13 years, and I have hired and fired a tech or two.

Same

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Which means my company loves me since I am retired military and don't use their health insurance.

At the last benefits meeting I pointed out to my boss how much the company was saving by my use of the VA and only asked for half of it in my paycheck but for some reason he thought I was joking...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I actually use two different payroll agencies. One does managed healthcare and the other does not. I give the employee the option of which agency they would prefer to use based on whether or not they already have healthcare somewhere else.

The one with managed healthcare is more expensive so raises are slower, but hey its all a trade off. The difference is I make all that stuff known up front.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.