Installalation Tips and Tools

When fishing down walls from the attic for a keypad or flush-mount speaker, first check with your stud finder to be sure there's no horizontal fire block in the way. Then cut out the hole for the device and leave a pocket Maglight(tm) shining in the hole. When you drill down from the attic you can see the light in the wall to be sure you're in the right place.

On the same note, I always liked to install a flush siren speaker in a load bearing wall at electrical outlet height below the keypad. Whenever possible I would do this on both the main and second floor, one directly above the other. This made easy access to pull cables from the attic to the basement by reaching in and drilling down through the base of the wall cavity to the wall below.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Why would the wire "flex" a "bunch of times"? I realize that you guys int he US really like those screw-in "wall warts", but isn't the screw supposed to discourage the customer from unplugging it? And wouldn't you use a plug that was "out of the way" and not prone to occasional use? Our contract stipulates that we must have a dedicated unburdened circuit for the panel. Around these parts we use a wire in transformer, and all solid core wires.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Oh that's real smart. You booby trap the alarm system so your poor vict err customer would have to use both hands to cover their ears and turn off the alarm with their nose. hahahaha You know it's a good thing you can't do this stuff anymore.

Reply to
Rapid

here in the states if we used a wire in xfrmr we would have to have a high voltage electrician come in to wire it to stay within code, since us alarm guys are low voltage licensed. That's why we use the wall warts. I'm sure that wouldn't stop some but .........What do you do up there? Can a low voltage guy wire in an xfrmr to the high voltage [110V]or do youse guys just do it and damn the torpedos. [like I'm sure many do down here]:)

Reply to
Rapid

Running the wire and installing the box technically requires an electrician. The customer sets this up before our guys come on site. Installing the transformer is pretty well a "no brainer" although an Electrical "C" ticket (limited license) is often listed as a requirement. We pull permits on all our jobs, so they're done right (no exceptions).

Reply to
Frank Olson

It's at "electrical outlet height" so you can kick the sucker into "silence mode", then disarm your system in relative silence (it helps to wear steel toe shoes when you're entering your premises).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Point Click Save to file RLB/DBPR

Regards

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Any tips on drilling that hole from the hinge to the lock without ruining a

5K door?
Reply to
Crash Gordon

In most cases the door manufacturer should be consulted and has the special jigs to accomplish this (at least in my experience). It's far easier to groove out the bottom of the door and the lock side then "fill" and stain/paint with wood to match. It helps when you have a friendly finishing carpenter you can call in.

Reply to
Frank Olson

LOL

Reply to
Rapid

excuse my ignorance but what is an electrified hinge?

Reply to
Rapid

An electrified hinge is just a hinge with wires passing through it. Used for electrifed cylindrical and mortise locks.

As far as core drilling a door... what we do is use 2 people. One as a spotter and one as a driller. The spotter just makes sure that the drill bit is going straight. Just do it very slow and constanly clean the drill bit. If you try and rush it you'll pop out.

Reply to
Jason

that's gotta be nerve wracking! But then you get to charge alot.;)

Reply to
Rapid

Imagine the cat laying under the thing. You would have to pry it off the ceiling.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Reply to
Tommy

Plan on getting paid!

If the customer say "you just have to," or "you only have to," "do this," in an effort to minimalize what you do during the bidding process walk out.

If the customer starts adding little details as soon as you have given them a price stop them and get out your notebook. Write down each thing they added after the initial price and consider if you really want to work for somebody who will deliberately try to take advantage of you.

Those dozen or more little things add up to hours and hours of your time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Golf tees, noodles, lube, fishing weights... Sounds like the international convention of the California, Tokyo, and New York Mobs... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's assuming things are planned out...usually I get the call when the door is already hung.

Routering the bottom of the door seems like a great idea though!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It is...its a 40 mg of Valium job.

| > As far as core drilling a door... what we do is use 2 people. One as a | > spotter and one as a driller. The spotter just makes sure that the | > drill bit is going straight. Just do it very slow and constanly clean | > the drill bit. If you try and rush it you'll pop out. | >

| that's gotta be nerve wracking! But then you get to charge alot.;)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.