Inovonics outdoor range

In an outdoor envorinment with houses, trees, and shrubs, what is a realistic range for Inovonics repeaters when designing an EchoStream mesh?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

I have gotten well over 1000 feet in an apartment complex

Reply to
nick markowitz

Thanks. Also, what outdoor distance did you get from transmitters to repeater?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

500 ft no problem basement to basement
Reply to
nick markowitz

Sweet.

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

try to avoid lots of metal and it should work fine, I field tested my site for a week and never lost a packet.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Which panel did you select? Would you recommend the GE NX8 or NX8E? The main requirement is the ability to send text messages via the internet.

Inovonics technical support said the power requirements for the repeaters are so modest, that some installers use 10W solar chargers in common areas with no power. Slick.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I have them on a 5104B with permission of AHJ since it was not a required monitoring situation but they liked Ideal they where being monitored. I would use the E more options

Reply to
nick markowitz

You may find with echostream you do not even need the repeaters since each transmitter is a repeater

Reply to
nick markowitz

You know, I read this, but it didn't sink in, and when I saw the repeaters, just assumed they were needed. So basically, if transmitters are spaced sufficiently close, a large park or appartment complex could be meshed with nothing but battery operated devices, right? The more I learn about EchoStream, the more there is to like.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Yes this is correct each unit can send and receive so you have multiple paths back to receiver depending how you deploy them at complex I did I have 4 different paths they can take back to the receiver so if one path is blocked or noisy it goes the other route.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I think there may be a slight misunderstanding of the terminology (or I misunderstood your previous post). Using EchoStream terminology, the devices at each sensor are transmitters. The devices that receive/forward packets are repeaters. Transmitters do not receive nor forward packets. Repeaters receive packets and then forward them. Packets have an ID to avoid ping-pong among repeaters. Repeaters can be used to build a large network mesh to pass trasmitter packets from one end of a large building or campus to distant receiver. In other words, it is not possible to build a large network mesh using only transmitters.

And yes, multiple paths can be used to get the message back to the receiver, thus reducing lost packets due to noise.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Yes this is correct each unit can send and receive so you have multiple paths back to receiver depending how you deploy them at complex I did I have 4 different paths they can take back to the receiver so if one path is blocked or noisy it goes the other route.

Nick,

I have been reading this thread and was wondering what the application was for this system that you speak about??

Was it a commercial fire system??

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.