Idea for new type of detector...

I'm reading an article at the NBC News website in another tab right now tha t talks about how companies are increasingly and passively monitoring cell phone signals emitted as people walk about (

formatting link
if anyone is interested ).

It got me thinking that it might be neat to construct a new type of alarm s ystem detector that triggered whenever a cell phone signal of certain ampli tude was picked up in a designated quiet zone. So for example, such a dete ctor would arm along with the rest of the system and if someone with an act ive -- basically meaning "turned on" -- cell phone walked into a room, the alarm would go off or add to its actual intrusion verification sequence.

Has anyone heard of something like this or have any thoughts on how it migh t work?

- Dave

snipped-for-privacy@davethewebguy.com

formatting link

Reply to
david
Loading thread data ...

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:02:28 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@davethewebguy.com wrot e:

hat talks about how companies are increasingly and passively monitoring cel l phone signals emitted as people walk about (

formatting link
i f anyone is interested ).

system detector that triggered whenever a cell phone signal of certain amp litude was picked up in a designated quiet zone. So for example, such a de tector would arm along with the rest of the system and if someone with an a ctive -- basically meaning "turned on" -- cell phone walked into a room, th e alarm would go off or add to its actual intrusion verification sequence.

They have RF anti jam signals on alarms now

Reply to
NickMark

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:02:28 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@davethewebguy.com wrot e:

hat talks about how companies are increasingly and passively monitoring cel l phone signals emitted as people walk about (

formatting link
i f anyone is interested ).

system detector that triggered whenever a cell phone signal of certain amp litude was picked up in a designated quiet zone. So for example, such a de tector would arm along with the rest of the system and if someone with an a ctive -- basically meaning "turned on" -- cell phone walked into a room, th e alarm would go off or add to its actual intrusion verification sequence.

They already have jam detection built into some systems for that purpose

Reply to
NickMark

formatting link
i f anyone is interested ). It got me thinking that it might be neat to const ruct a new type of alarm system detector that triggered whenever a cell pho ne signal of certain amplitude was picked up in a designated quiet zone. So for example, such a detector would arm along with the rest of the system a nd if someone with an active -- basically meaning "turned on" -- cell phone walked into a room, the alarm would go off or add to its actual intrusion verification sequence. Has anyone heard of something like this or have any thoughts on how it might work? - Dave snipped-for-privacy@davethewebguy.com http://www.da vethewebguy.com

There would be no way to contain it within a given area, long narrow room. ... a group of rooms that did not conform to a standard geometrical shape. would more than one cellphone creater a stronger signal? how could you alwa ys get to mount it in the center of an area? And , of course , what if the cell phone wasn't turned on? I don't see much of a practical use for it con sidering the likely cost of such a product.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.