How to I Setup Security System to Observe backyard?

Someone is vandalizing my back yard - stealing stepping stones, trampling on plants and breaking things. The basement of the house is above ground and one side, with windows, faces the backyard. I've an older model PTZ Sony camera with several different video connections How you you all recommend I record activity in the backyard?

Sorry for the Google post but Verizon removed all "ALT" groups from their news server.

Thanks,

Reply to
soi_01
Loading thread data ...

Per soi snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

I'm in the same boat, albeit driven more by curiosity as to what's eating all our vegetation.

I'm hoping you get some responses.

formatting link
About 12 bucks per year. It's been pretty good for me over the last 5+ years.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The simple way is to get a cheap IP camera and run some Cat5 between it and your router. You should be able to get a decent one for $100 w/software.

Alternatively, you could build a DVR with a spare PC and a cheap input card ($50 Ebay). Then you could have multiple cameras and use less expensive analog types if you wanted.

If the backyard area is viewable from a window that is close to a PC (or put a laptop there), you could use a very cheap USB web cam.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Per G. Morgan:

I feel kind of dumb now. Never considered that the window behind my workstation has a decent view of at least part of the back yard.

I've even got said el-cheapo web cam sitting in a drawer - albeit a USB2 device..... but the window's plenty close enough to use it to shake down recording/storage/motion detection software.

What about night vision camera-wise?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

You'll have to light up the area you want to view (well). Either that, or you'll need to get a better camera w/IR illuminators.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I like to use motion activated flood lights. They've been around so long they don't scare anyone off any more but they do have one neat effect. Whenever one comes on the first thing the prowler instinctively does is look right at the light, giving the camera a great shot of the guy's face.

Also, no matter how good the IR camera is, it's nowhere near as good a picture as you can get with a decent color camera and a 500-Watt halogen light.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Speaking of getting the perp to look at the camera here's one we are trying - Don't know how effective it will be...

Perp has hit twice - in and out fast enough that he is gone by the time the local pd responds to the alarm. Wears a hoody and is careful to never let the existing cams get a look at his face.

Covert camera in a clock, the clock is on the wall directly above one of those bikini-girl tool calendars.

The calendar was already in place and there was a clock in place as well. It's just a different looking clock now... and, of course, it's now a new month...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

That ought to work unless the perp is gay or female. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That would also be an "easy fix". But unfortunately you'd have to wait until the results of the next break-in were "in". If the perp doesn't look, change the calender to one of them "wall of flame" firefighter ones. You'll be sure to nab him then! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hmmm

If they were gay AND female ..... I wonder if they would look.

Yeh ...... I guess.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.