how does Rojas do it ?

Jim had mentioned he knows how to re-program the telephone number in a Monitronics Lynx panel. Can anyone tell me how this is done? Does it take a new chip or a special programmer? Jim are you willing to tell me how you do this or point me in the right direction so I can learn how?

James

Reply to
James
Loading thread data ...

The receiver number is hard-coded on a Monitronics Lynx?

| > James | >

| > | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I use an special eprom programmer and burn the information in directly. You can change the firmware chip, but you will also have to replace the keypad.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I believe the only way to change it is using the download software.

Jim Rojas

| > James | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Jim Rojas

So do you have to have a different programmer for each brand of panel?, or does one programmer do most of them? On the Monitronix Lynx panel do you use a programmer?, or do you use download software? I have an old Eprom programmer used for the old scantronix controlls sp650 av8000 etc. is that the same thing?

James

Reply to
James

Them burners ain't cheep, I have one I paid 600 bucks for at least 10 years ago. And...they don't exactly come with user friendly instructions! It took me a long time to figure out how to use the damn thing let alone how to get into and modify the old Radx chips. Not really worth the time spent unless you're really into it for some reason. Definitely cheaper swapping out the board :-)

| > James | >

| >> Jim Rojas | >>

| >>

| >> > James | >> >

| >> >

| >>

| >>

| >

| > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Well for that kinda stuff it's definitely worth the time, 'cause it would be economically ridiculous for the dealer to replace so many panels.

| | > James | | >

| | >> Jim Rojas | | >>

| | >>

| | >> > James | | >> >

| | >> >

| | >>

| | >>

| | >

| | >

| | | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Wouldn't be "special" anymore if everyone had one

Jim are you willing to tell me how

Wouldn't be "special" anymore if everyone knew how to do it.

Trade Secret: a formula, process or device used in a business that is not published or divulged and that thereby gives an advantage over competitors.

I guess it never hurts to ask but don't expect an answer to something that Jim does, that is a unique part of his business, especially in a public forum. Try e-mailing him directly.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

sHEEESH.

| | | > James | | | >

| | | >> Jim Rojas | | | >>

| | | >>

| | | >> > James | | | >> >

| | | >> >

| | | >>

| | | >>

| | | >

| | | >

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Several different programmers are required just to do 1 manufacturer. Some of the programmers have to be modified to work right. Then, you must figure out how the hex data is wriiten, and where to make your changes. It's not as easy as you think. It took several years to develop this method.

Some Napco panels allow you to program in hex, so imagine being able to do that without having a clue what you are changing.

So unless you are willing to spend several thousand dollars on all the programmers, custom made adapters, and learning how to read the hex data, I suggest you just replace the board like most others do.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Exactly my point. I have 9 different programmers I use. They vary in price from $259 - $4500 each. I can also create custom firmware on some panels.

This is just one example:

I had a Canadian dealer that needed to be able to download several hundred DSC 2550 & 3000's. They were all older versions that DLS2002 did not support. DSC no longer has the chips available. I was able to make updated chips for the dealer, thus allowing him to download all the panels with DLS2002.

Jim Rojas

| > James | >

| >> Jim Rojas | >>

| >>

| >> > James | >> >

| >> >

| >>

| >>

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Yes. I shipped him 500 firmware chips. You can imagine what 489 panel upgrades would have cost.

Jim Rojas

| | > James | | >

| | >> Jim Rojas | | >>

| | >>

| | >> > James | | >> >

| | >> >

| | >>

| | >>

| | >

| | >

| | | | | |

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Im only asking for my self not "everyone"..

and im only interested in the way to program monitronics lynx panels. Seems we take a lot of them over in our area. It gets expensive to put in a new ademco lynx each time.

James

competitors.

How do you learn trade secrets if nobody wants to share? I am hardly a direct competitor of anyone in this group.

Figured if he wanted to share he would email me, also thought if someone else in the group new how they might share the info with me.

James

>
Reply to
James

I can default any of the Lynx panels without any problems, but the question is will you be able to monitor it? I don't know if Monitronics has their own format or not.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

What chip on the Lynx Panel holds the program information? Would it be the cop8sac728mp CMOS Microcontroller? or is there an eprom somewhere else on the board.?

James

Reply to
James

There is a 8 pin SMD 24C16 or 24C32 eprom that holds all the data. The problem you are going to run into is unsoldering it just to program it. I have an expensive programmer that will read & program the chip in circuit without unsoldering it.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.