How does one find??

Hey all,

Among all the billions or so electric key switches how does one find a switch with the following features.

- Maintained - Off - Momentary

- Key removal at the Maintained and Off Positions

- Minimal current (dry contacts only)

- About 15 switches all keyed alike.

Trying to search on line is nuts. Was looking at Mouser but when you find one, then go look at the specs and something does not match. Usually the key removal issue. There has to be a better way. Or maybe there isn't.

Anyone know of an easier way??

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Yeah. For something a special as that I'd call the Mfg.s technical direct and ask to speak to someone who's been there for awhile.

Routine things you can shop for yourself on line but something like that is kinda special and I'd think you'd want to talk to someone who could tell you, off the top of their head, whether there's something like that available or not.

I've never heard of a key switch like that. I"ve just heard of momentary or not.

Just thinking about it ..... try the overhead garage door trade. Something similar to that might be used for control of overhead garage doors from the outside of a building.

Reply to
Jim

Try:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yeah. For something a special as that I'd call the Mfg.s technical direct and ask to speak to someone who's been there for awhile.

Routine things you can shop for yourself on line but something like that is kinda special and I'd think you'd want to talk to someone who could tell you, off the top of their head, whether there's something like that available or not.

I've never heard of a key switch like that. I"ve just heard of momentary or not.

Just thinking about it ..... try the overhead garage door trade. Something similar to that might be used for control of overhead garage doors from the outside of a building.

============================================

Yea I know it is kinda of special. Finding a mfg. is my challenge. My search is on.

Thanks for the tip on the overhead door trade.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

: >Among all the billions or so electric key switches how does one find : >a switch with the following features. : >

: >- Maintained - Off - Momentary : >

: >- Key removal at the Maintained and Off Positions : >

: >- Minimal current (dry contacts only) : >

: >- About 15 switches all keyed alike. : >

: >Trying to search on line is nuts. Was looking at Mouser but when : >you find one, then go look at the specs and something does not : >match. : >Usually the key removal issue. : >There has to be a better way. Or maybe there isn't. : >

: >Anyone know of an easier way?? : : Try: :

formatting link

Thanks for the link. I will contact them next week.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

You could try Galco

formatting link
Doug

Reply to
doug

Doug's link to Galco is pretty cool. They have a really easy to search database. It only took 40 seconds to find what you want.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

: > Among all the billions or so electric key switches how does one find : > a switch with the following features. : >

: > - Maintained - Off - Momentary : >

: > - Key removal at the Maintained and Off Positions : >

: > - Minimal current (dry contacts only) : >

: > - About 15 switches all keyed alike. : >

: > Trying to search on line is nuts. Was looking at Mouser but when : > you find one, then go look at the specs and something does not : > match. : > Usually the key removal issue. : > There has to be a better way. Or maybe there isn't. : >

: > Anyone know of an easier way?? : >

: > Thanks, : >

: > Les : >

: >

: >

: : Doug's link to Galco is pretty cool. They have a really easy to search : database. It only took 40 seconds to find what you want. : : : -- : Frank Kurz :

formatting link

Frank, You will forgive me for saying that I believe your "40 second find" is a bit over stated. Maybe you got lucky or did not read my criteria. Either way, I will call them next week, so thanks to Doug for the link.

Oh, and if you want to share your find I will type a quick apology and thank you.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Check with C&K they make specialty key switches for all types of equipment and components as well they no longer exist as an alarm entity but they still have there industrial division can probably meet what you need

Reply to
nick markowitz

Thanks Nick, Yea, C&K is one of the mfg's that Mouser carries but the searching was killing me. The truth be told I don't think that this switch configuration is all that "special special". I just think it is a matter of getting the right connection to spec it out. I do have work-a-round for this project but having this particular switch config will make it much simpler to function.

I am however approaching the point that the amount of time spent searching is reaching counter productive. But it is one of those things that I can't give up on till the fat lady sings...................................

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

If you can't find them in stock, its only a matter of a day or so to make them to your specifications. You may even want to involve a locksmith if the building is keyed with high-security tumblers.

Reply to
G. Morgan

: >I am however approaching the point that the amount of time spent : >searching is reaching counter productive. But it is one of those : >things that I can't give up on till the fat lady : >sings................................... : : If you can't find them in stock, its only a matter of a day or so to : make them to your specifications. You may even want to involve a : locksmith if the building is keyed with high-security tumblers. :

I am being pro-active on this project. Need to have something by the middle of April. Just trying to stay ahead of it all.

BTW on a side note. I have OE set to "Indent and place a " : " when replying". I did this after I noticed I was NOT getting a " > " on my reply's. Thinking that there was some glitch in OE I changed to a " : ". However, I then noticed that it only happens to certain individuals messages that I am replying to. Is this a function of OE only sometimes doing what it is set up to do or is it have some thing to do with the received message sender having some setting dis-allowing it to happen?? Just curious. Then again, it may be a question for another group.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Use a 'pipe' |

Reply to
G. Morgan

Do the building maintenance have key access? Or is it just for you and your tech's?

Is this a critical lock, that must be secure (fail-unsafe)?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
ABLE1

This keyswitch will be for a means to disable a delayed egress maglock (maintained) for a period of time and by turning to the right (momentary) (preferably spring return) it will provide a reset function. That is why in the momentary position the key is not removable but in the center off and the left maintained it is removable.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Is it in a nursing-home or psych-ward where egress has to be initiated by staff?

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link
There are several others available as well. In either NO or NC configurations. Sweet!

Reply to
Frank Kurz

I think he feels slighted because he spent so much time searching, and you said you found it in 40 sec.

What model # fits the bill?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Have you considered a keypad that only holds for x seconds?

You have not described the job. You may need an access control proc.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.