How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

Hi. I live in a large student complex, which is filthy

i want to buy a steam cleaner

Can I just cover the smoker alarm (using a plastic bag?)

Advice/ideas anyone?

thanks

Reply to
Chris.Holland16
Loading thread data ...

a degree can mean nothing in the real world, common sense is much more of a use I have had managers with a degree in management and have no idea how to man manage in real life

Reply to
Mr Fixit

Yes. Bag it. a big cloud of steam looks like a big cloud of smoke to most detectors.

Just remember to remove it when you're done.

Reply to
jewellfish

I thought you said you were buying a steam cleaner not a smoke machine! I can't believe as a person who might one day have a degree that you can't work it out for yourself.

Reply to
ron

IME, that just delays the steam setting it off. Cling film doesn't work any better either, and if you do set one off with steam, it takes a long time before it will reset. I don't have any suggestions other than to temporarily remove it.

The small circular smoke detectors used on central alarm/fire panels often come with a bright red cover for such purposes. What also works well with them is a latex rubber glove stretched over the sensor, and the resulting 'hands' hanging down from the ceiling serve as an obvious reminder the alarm is disabled.

Mains and individual battery operated smoke detectors usually have too many openings (particularly at the top) to seal the units off in this way reliably.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You don't have to have brains to enrol into college, just being there is enough. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Er! have you never heard of elbow grease?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Steam triggers the smoke alarms where I live - people have showered with the bathroom door open. this has resulted in the fire brigade being called out on numerous ocassions, resulting in massive fines

the smoke alarms are hard wired into the ceilings - we cannot remove them

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

Ron: I can't believe a person who lectures posters on their intelligence (or lack thereof) can't work out the situation for youself.

The OP is obviously not a student: he just said he _lives_ in the student complex. He also said it is filthy.

If he were a student would he have even noticed the filth, let alone be planning to buy a cleaner to tackle it? Eh???? Answer that!!!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Upgrade to photo-electric units. The ionization ones typically false in the presence of steam. Photo-electrics won't.

Reply to
Frank Olson

This is a ridiculous answer! Students living in digs aren't responsible for replacing smoke detectors FFS! I can't imagine the mess the Fire Prevention Officer would have to sort out if they were. In any case, thanks to tax-payers' meanness, most students haven't got two halfpennies to rub together let alone buy anything photo-electric!

Chris, good on you for taking the trouble to clean up and I'm sorry you've had such ridiculous replies from what normally tries to be a helpful and sensible newsgroup. The person who lectured you on steam/smoke is an ar**hole. Smoke detector technology basically detects anything that isn't the usual mix of gases we call Air, so burning the toast, taking the lid off a saucepan, opening a gas oven door, having a steamy shower or even a good old fart can all set off a "smoke" detector. :)

My best advice is you should tell the person in charge of the fire alarm (the facilities manager?) what you are planning to do and that you're worried you might set off the alarm. He should be thankful you have the common sense to ask first. That would be much better than him finding you've been mucking about with the system yourself, or for the Fire Brigade to turn up to find you in your Mrs Mop outfit.

Usually individual heads (if it's a modern digital system) or a particular zone can be temporarily disabled at the alarm panel. The heads can be unplugged (usually like a bayonet-type light bulb) to clean or replace them, but DON'T try doing this with the system still active as it will set off the alarm. The FM won't be too happy while part of the premises is unprotected, so this needs to be for a very short period and he may want to get someone to supervise you.

If you want to risk it, you can certainly cover the detector heads with a plastic bag to exclude the water vapour, or even better, use a plastic glove (I thought that was a great idea) but remember the alarm is still active and covering up the heads doesn't guarantee you won't set it off. Then you'll be in hot water as well as steam!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

I'm not sure, but how would covering a smoke alarm help you buy a steam cleaner?

Or am I missing something?

Reply to
Blueyonder

That's actually the *best* advice I've seen. If the OP has time, he should post a picture of himself in the "Mrs. Mop outfit". I could use a good laugh. :-)

Well excuse me. It's been my experience that tenants aren't responsible for false fire alarms, the landlords are. If the falses are frequent enough, the OP might wish to advise the landlord that upgrading the smoke detectors to photo-electrics will aleviate the problem.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Peter,

Thanks for your advice.

I take what people say on newsgroups with a pinch of salt!

Where I live - it's very understaffed. People complain all the time.

People have been fined for using hairspray! (has triggered smoke alarm) It's insane.

Deactivating the smoke detector is not an option (especially over christmas as the place is even more understaffed than normal)

I will just cover it somehow

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

Mate,

I rent a room

I don't run the building

I just want to cover the alarm somehow so it doesn't go off.

I'm not interested in how they work.

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

Oh yes they will. I've found that out the hard way. js

Reply to
alarman

Or.......... Close the bathroom door when taking a shower, False Alarm problem solved........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Oh, whoops this is the Steam cleaner thread....... Duh.....

Reply to
Russell Brill

Taxpayer's meanness?? Aren't you in the UK, and if so, aren't your people already taxed up the wazoo? js

Reply to
alarman

Or....locate them away from bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms ( a broker dryer vent will cause a false....don't ask me how I know....:))

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.