honeywell updating 5192Sd V Plex smokes

Just got a letter from Honeywell they are discontinuing the 5192SD and SDT and bringing out a new 5193SD and SDT which sounds like they are going to be using the System Sensor I3 technology. Good move love the I3 series.

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

What's so good about them?

Reply to
Jim

I3 is one of the most stable smokes out there of all the brands i have used. and it is compatable to many different panels.

Reply to
nick markowitz

That's true, Nick. I sell tons of I3 smokes. They will be an improvement to the "V-Plex" series. It's not yet available though. ADI has no stock on the

5193, with or without thermal sensor.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm curious about what you mean by "stable".

I've been using ESL smokes for too many years to count but mainly because years ago, System sensors smokes were too "industrial" looking for residential installations and they were tan instead of white. Through the years, ESL has had a few recalls but nothing that has affected me to any great extent. The ESL units with the round smoke chambers are pretty immune to dust accumlation but ..... in my opinion are slower to react to smoke. Now days, everyone has a better looking smoke detector but I'm just wondering how well they detect smoke.

The reason I ask about what your definition of "stable" is ..... it's because in my experience, when that word is used to describe any kind of sensor, it implies less false alarms but in reality the result is a longer time to respond.

One of the attributes that many people didn't/don't like about Visonic motion detectors is that they actually "detect" motion. They are described by some as "being too hot". But I think people don't like them because you can't just slap them up on the wall without setting them up and thinking about how and what it's going to see. Many installers would like a motion detector that you can walk around in

90% percent of the detection area with out setting off the detector. You know ..... cuts down on the false alarms. Cuts down on detecting an intruder but ..... hell ...... as long as that little red light comes on occasionally, it's good enough. In their opinion that's "stable"
Reply to
Jim

Which Visonic's are we talking about here? In my experience they were too hot however I was dealing with the old Fox and Coral.

Reply to
mleuck

By stable I mean less false alarm problems and very good response times. I stopped using ESL 20 years ago had nothing but problems with them 2-3 yrs after they were installed. I have had sevral major fires in buildings and the System sensor stuff performed flawlessly I can not say the same with ESL .

Reply to
nick markowitz

We had a number of problems, including a major recall IIRC, with ESL smokes. I have used System Sensor for years with very few problems. I sell literally thousands of their smokes online every year.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep, those are the ones. I've got hundreds of them installed. I don't have problems with them to this day. You just had to learn how to intall them and they work great. Sensitive when needed but very few false alarms.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.