Honeywell Compass

Greetings Gang,

Has anyone ever found a way to directly connect the compass program to the panel?

Using the "jury-rigged" connection of "modem & fake phone line voltage" is a bit questionable

from the customers perspective..

I've talked with tech support at Honeywell and they always say the same thing, "We'll pass it along to "Design"..

I've found over the years some of the best cures have come from the "guys in the field"..

So I'm just asking..

Tks..

Reply to
RTS
Loading thread data ...

RTS,

It depends on what you call a "modem & fake phone line voltage" thingy.

I have a plastic case with a power strip, Hayes 2400 modem, and a Viking DLB-200B Two-Way Ringdown Circuit device. Connected to the Hayes is a RS232 cable that connects to my Win98se laptop and to the Viking I have a phone cord with a RJ11 into the Viking and on the other end an RJ45 socket that the RJ31x cord plugs into.

Do as you would connect from the office.

I call it my Phone Company in a box.

Now there is supposed to be a way to do it otherwise, as it a direct connect. But, I find it never to work so I gave up thinking about it.

And YES, I did type WIN98se. I only have a few older Vista panels. Honestly do not like the Ademco stuff. Strange thing is had to work on two Vista 40's just this past week.

Hope the above helps somehow.

Good luck!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

tks Les,

panel, as it believes it has a phone connected. Then connect the computer running compass to the phone input and do a direct connect..

my setup is an older EMachine using a USB converter feeding into the CIA modem then line out to the panel line IN.

on compass you start the dial command then at the connect details select

they should begin to communicate at that point..

connecting everything together..

Something were you might be able to directly connect to the data bus through some type of buffer and converter unit

powered from the USB computer output..

Just my thought...

RTS

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*
Reply to
RTS

RTS,

Yes, that is the setup I could never get to work. Which is why I went the way I did.

What you are looking for is a device similar to the NX-588E for the Networx panels. Yea, that would be nice. Sad part is Ademco thinks they have been doing everything right (their way) since forever. So why improve on perfection?? LOL

As far as I know nothing like that exist for Ademco stuff.

Back when Moose sold out and then the product line was dropped I took a real serious look at the available panel that were NOT proprietary.

Already knowing Ademco it was way off my radar. After looking at DSC, Napco, Elk, ITI and a couple of others I settled on the Network line.

One of the main reasons was how programming was done in the field, and the NX-588E was what convinced me.

If you have a lot of Admeco panels you might want to consider the Viking device. In my opinion simple and easier than the thing you are doing.

Have a good rest of your weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Les,

Direct connect will let you into any locked Networx panel.

Reply to
E D

E D,

Not sure what you are saying.

"Direct connect" meaning to Direct Connect to the panel data bus with some device that is going to allow "breaking and entering"??

Making my Access ID code worthless??

I am not worried. If my customers don't like me anymore I will help them go away, so it is a now issue.

OR

Are you saying something quite different??

Please detail.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

typo corrected

Reply to
ABLE1

Les, sorry for the confusion.

If you need to takeover a panel that was once with someone else, and it is locked out even in software, the direct connect will allow you entry.

Reply to
E D

Reply to
ABLE1

Ok, are you saying that the NX588E can be used with DL900 or some other device and software??

If you say yes to that I am curious.

If you say some other device, then I have heard that there is stuff out there and am not curious.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Hi Les,

Yes, that is what I am saying. It is actually the NX586E direct connect uni t. I just checked in my van to make sure. On my laptop, it is DL900 v3.01, Database 42.00, Data file 40.00, Direct connect panel table version 0, Copy right 1999.

I think that I acquired this about 2004-05. I was using it just to make it faster to program a panel, since you could set up about 3 panel configurati ons on the direct connect unit itself.

I 'happened' to be talking to a 'tech' whom I pleaded to help me get into a panel, and he roundaboutly mentioned that once you are directly connected to a panel with the direct connect unit, you 'might' be able to disconnect the red/black/green wires from the already connected board, and then you 'm ight' be able to connect it to 'another' panel board laying around, and the n you just 'might' be able to then just read that 'other' panel...

...that would be how I have been doing it, maybe.

It's kind of like Harrison Ford, in his old movie about the Ark, where this guy comes at him with swords, and he starts using his whip, but then think s, and then just shoots him with his pistol.

They made the 'thing' with all kinds of precautionary preventions, but forg ot to safeguard the integrity of the connection, so that the units can be s witched out. Lack of logic.

In the same way, if you read up on Mona T. Ronics, just switching the chip on any locked Honey Dew board gives you access to all programming... and al l info already on it. With this brand, it is way faster to do, no software to even run.

I say this, just in case you were curious...

Have a great day, and enjoy your future panel takeovers.

Reply to
E D

Interesting, to say the least. Remind self to print for future maybeys.

I do very few takeovers. And not any NX panels. But it is nice to know that if I have one of mine that I did a dumb thing on, that there is a back door.

Can only wonder which of the "tech's" you were pleading with.

When I call I usually get the tech standard comment. "Never heard of that before." That is because I am the guy that finds the problem first!!

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Anybody know how to easily move a compass database from one folder to another on a hard drive. That database utility is one of the most cryptic things i've ever seen, I have no idea what I am doing with it, very comforting, Why can't I just move the database folder and have the logon point to it? sheesh, these guys are worse than microsoft

Reply to
medi00call

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.