Home cameras for outdoors?

I'm new to this, but we need to get some decent quality reliable, but not real expensive surveillance cameras setup around the outside of our house, with a DVR that can record all channels.

With wireless systems, what powers the cameras? Do you have to keep changing batteries all the time, or do you run power to them?

Are the wireless channels encrypted?

I was hoping to get outdoor cameras as part of a packaged system like that, but with PTZ - pan tilt zoom and night vision too, but don't see that offered. Most of what I see is just night vision.

Does the PTZ stuff make it super expensive?

Reply to
Jane_Galt
Loading thread data ...

Reliable isn't a problem, but you are not going to find inexpensive cameras or DVR/Camera kits that have any kind of quality as far as picture goes. Basically the kits that include 8 cameras and a DVR and sell for less than $1000 at Costco or Sams will let you see motion and people shapes, but at any kind of distance beyond 20 feet or so, especially outdoors, forget about facial recognition.

No. Unless you are thinking of a game/trail camera. Security cameras are wireless only in that you don't have to run a signal line to the camer. You do need to run power, but that can come from any nearby source and doesn't have to come from the DVR or PC.

No.

Night vision in a package system is usually a dozen LEDs built into the camera body. They're good for about a tight circle of light about 10-20' away from the camera, but all they allow again is a general outline to be discerned. You aren't going to get any kind of facial recognition.

Yes. And the presence of PTZ has no bearing on the quality of the image.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Jane,

I hope your question is legit and you didn't follow me here.

Please don't start up your political soap-box here, these guys will spank you down.

To ASA:

"Jane Galt" posts in 2 groups I participate in, and is quite troll-ish. I have a suspicion she followed me here and will start with her political rants. For the sake of the group, I'd suggest staying on-topic with this one. It's the 3rd coming of Paul!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Dang it all, Graham, there you go stirrin' the pot again.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Hell ..... an I was jus gonna ask her if she knew where John went.

Reply to
Jim

Nah, she'd just shrug and say she didn't know... heheh... get it?... "shrug"...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

It has been a little too quiet in here. :-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

I wasn't trolling you.

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: Yeah, say what you will about RLB, when he was here things were much more active than since he left (for whatever reason good or bad.....).

It's really boring now.....

Reply to
tourman

reportedly he died..

RHC: Yeah, say what you will about RLB, when he was here things were much more active than since he left (for whatever reason good or bad.....).

It's really boring now.....

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Question of the wireless cameras I have seen there either low end junk or high end expensive does any one make middle of the road ones

Reply to
nick markowitz

I don't look at wireless CCTV anymore.

With wireless, (espcially if you're doing it for profit) always has that unknown factor. Just where you want to put the camera or the receiver is where at least one camera wont work for some unknown and undeterminable reason. So now ya hafta start moving things around and by the time you're done ( if you're lucky enough to be able to find a neutral location for every component and you can see what you wanted to see) you may as well have wired the damn thing to begin with.

If it's a DIY'er job, they're willing to spend the time to futz with it cuz they're not losing money on the job.

Reply to
Jim

Kind of what I figured all my cams are hardwired coax or cat 5 with baluns

Reply to
nick markowitz

Yeah ..... but on the other hand ....... you don't like me when I get angry. ;-)

Reply to
Jim

You haven't defined the problem enough to get an answer. You need to be able to specify something like:

I'd like visual surveillance of any area that's X by Y located Z distance from the camera. Resolution needs to be enough to perform facial recognition on an unknown person at night with no sources of illumination beside what the security system can provide.

And the answer to your question is no. Such a system will cost a lot of money.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.