High Flex Cables

Back when I worked for Kurt over at KC Sound we used to get high flex cables all the time. Usually for sound snakes.

I need to find a source for a decent quantity (500' rolls would be ok) 4 and

2 conductor conductor shielded high flex. 16 ga would be ok for some and 18 ok for others. I could use 16ga for everything, but its hard to fit in the connectors on some controllers, and I prefer to save my fights where I can. I've been doing the CNC machining thing for a while, and now I am building some of my own machines from the ground up. In addition to using drag chains to limit flex and the type of flex, I would like to use high flex cable for servo motors that move with the machine, and for the 3 phase VFD driven spindles that moves on certain types of machines. Since they will often HAVE TO be bundled with encoder and other signal cables shielding is a big deal. (star grounded of course) The encoder and signal cables will all be shielded and grounded, but I like to cover my bases. I prefer to spend my time testing the machine concepts rather than chasing 100% preventable signal noise problems.

Amazingly the inexpensive orange extension cords you can buy at the hardware store are pretty high flex, and in testing hold up modestly well. Unfortunately they are not 4 conductor (UVW G) or shielded.

Yes, I know regular stranded shielded will last for a long time, but I am aspiring for 30 year life with only failed components needing replacement over time. One of the big mills in my shop was made in 1982. I retrofit it with all new controls, but all of the servo power wire is the original stuff (as are the servo motors themselves). I ran new encoder wire, but only because I ran new encoders.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Oh, yeah. Chemical resistance would be a big plus. Mostly oil, cutting fluid, and water spray.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Have you tried Houston Wire & Cable?

formatting link

They make custom shit if they don't stock it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Bob, I hate to say the word but have you considered looking at 'Belden'. Can't say and don't know if they have what you are look for, but, if I were desperate that is where I would look just to see what they got. Then decide from there if it is worth the expense.

Good luck!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I have had them call me before. They came off like an offshore trans-shipper. I guess it can't hurt to drop them an email.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, Belden is an option. Price is relative of course.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I don't know anything about CNC machines but at the risk of being too obvio us wouldn't you be looking for an industrial coil cord? Something like they used to use on overhead doors. And wouldn't CNC machine manufactures, supp liers, distributors and parts departments be someplace you could inquire? I mean even if you had to buy one at retail so you could see who manufacture d it. Try going to CNC machine parts, on line. You may be able to pick up a name in descriptions of replacement cables etc.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks, I have looked along those lines to some degree. It's a good thought. I am just trying to broaden my scope as high flex cables are not limited to CNC machines. Coil cord cables are not used much on CNC machines. Movement is linear, not random, and it flex can be unifiy with drag chians rather than coil cords. Coil cords have the disadvantage of still having the same failure point as other non flex managed cables. I do have a coil cord on a remote pendant that is move around by hand when using it, but that is not a machine interface cable. It's a human interface cable.

I dropped lines off to Belden and Houston Wire. We shall see if they get back to me or not.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've been to their location, it is huge. They stock more cable than I've ever seen in one place.

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's cool. I haven't heard back from them though. Belden either. I guess its time to see what ComScope has.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

They have a phone!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yep, but they also have a contact form on their website. If they don't want people to use it they should not have it. I like promises in black and white.

I have a contact form on one of my commercial websites. I always respond when somebody asks a question (about products I supply). Even if its just to tell them I can't help them. I don't respond to spammers of course.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I hear ya!

I've used Viking Electronics' components for years. A few weeks ago, I call ed tech support and asked if they had a product that would perform a certai n function. The person I spoke to (female) didn't sound as if she knew exac tly what I was talking about because of the (lack of or type of ) questions she was asking me. I hung up, called again and got another person (also fe male) that gave me the same impression. So I went to the web site and poste d an E-mail asking the same questions and never got an answer.

I'll go elsewhere.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.