Hey Roland and others: Arecont Vision 1.3 Mpixel Network(IP) Camera

I'm new to the IP cams. They want $545 for the Arecont Vision ( AV1300), is this wholesale? Me thinks this is awful high for the "dealer" price I got.

Also what is the consensus on the Luxriot software?

Reply to
Cam-man
Loading thread data ...

AV-2100 Arecont 2.1 Mega pixel IP Color Full Body Camera, POE, .5 Lux: wholesale around low 600.

Not all IP cameras are megapixel cameras. Do you need just an IP camera? Remember these Mega pixel cameras eat a lot more hard drive real estate.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Roland Moore inspired greatness with:

Actually I *might* just need 4 IP cams that will mount into standard outdoor housings. The situation is this: (let me know what you think)

There are 4 add-on cams that need to go to remote buildings about

2000' from the head-end. There is an existing unused cat5 cable about half way down (more than 1000'), where I plan to mount an outdoor camera P/S in a NEMA4 rated enclosure. I want to use the existing cat5 cable to transmit the video for the 4 cams I'll be adding.

I have two ideas.

1> use IP cameras and run cat5 to each from my new P/S, and mount a network switch inside the NEMA box. 2> use an NVT-452R receiver at the head end, splice the pairs for video at the P/S - and add my power onto a pair of the CAT5 to the cams, and use 214A-M's baluns at each analog camera.

I'm leaning towards idea (2), but this will not allow for any future expansion. Plus, the DVR is a Geovision 650, that as far as I know will not accept IP cameras data unless I use encoders to modulate the signals again. The existing 8 cameras are all analog and getting encoders for everything would be cost prohibitive.

Reply to
Cam-man

Using the 214A-M's with a 452R you can go up to 3000 feet. For this app you'll be well within spec. We have a client doing something similar, except there site uses one pair for video and three pairs for data and control signals. NVT's stuff is rock solid. I'd go that way rather than with IP cameras for cost. Even with NVT's prices, you'll probably do better with analog units than getting four equal quality IP cameras.

The NVT-452R retails for $917 (dealer net is about 30-35% less, depending on where you shop). The 214A-M's go for $48 retail with similar dealer breaks. Good quality IP cameras can eat up more than that.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think idea #2 is workable. The wire distances are too great for idea #1.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Seconded. Ethernet spec maxes out at around 300ft. for 10/100Mbit over Cat-5/5e. It MAY work on longer runs, but the reliability drops of pretty quickly beyond the spec distance.

Reply to
Matt Ion

why dont you ask Roland to stop top posting??

to much a pussy?

"Cam-man" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Petem

Petem inspired greatness with:

Damn you Pete, I was just f****ng with you. How's that clan rally going?

Reply to
Cam-man

Agreed, plus the compatibilities problem.

Reply to
Cam-man

Matt Ion inspired greatness with:

I didn't think the Ethernet idea all the way through regarding extra switches along the path. Methinks idea #2 is best too.

Reply to
Cam-man

Robert L Bass inspired greatness with:

I know. I read the cut-sheet too. That's awesome range.

for data and control signals.

All he needs is 2 pair for data. The other pair can be used for power.

prices, you'll probably do better with analog units

Yep, that is what I think too.

where you shop).

You get better wholesale than I then, if I sell it for that it's about a 25% MU. Who is your supplier?

That's not near the break I get. I pay close to that wholesale.

Yep.

Reply to
Cam-man

I don't think using a series of switches (or hubs for that matter) is an accepted practice for extending an Ethernet run beyond 100 m. If you find yourself in that situation I think fiber modems and such are recommended.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Probably so, I'm no WAN expert by any means.

One thing is certain, everyone who wants a future in this industry is going to have to learn it. We are in a state of convergence to IP that can not be ignored.

Reply to
Cam-man

I can't help but remember going into a site once, years ago, that was running all on token-ring... we were switching everything over to ethernet, and initially just replaced the jacks at the workstations and repatched the crossovers at the BIX block... the machine in the building super's office, at the farthest corner from the server room, got a link, but no traffic or IP from the DHCP server. (This is where some wag points out, we shoulda put an ethernet card in the machine as well... actually, there were all new ethernet-equipped workstations going in).

Further investigation revealed that the cable run to the super's office was a zig-zagging 400+ feet of Cat-3 with at least three splice points, one of them inside a junction box with a bunch of 120/240 electrical... we were amazed that the T-R had actually worked through all that! We had the cabling contractor come in and pull a new, uninterrupted Cat-5 run back on as straight a line as possible, to get it working.

Just thinking how weird it would be to see a resurgence of token-ring, particularly in the abandonded gigabit T-R spec, to overcome some of the limitations of ethernet in these kinds of situations...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Can-man ,my dear..

First,its not because you go participate in such event as clan rally every week-end,that most of us do..

and 2 you started it...

"Cam-man" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Petem

As a rule, I generaly don't respond to threads started by douchebags.

Sammy

Reply to
sammy

sammy inspired greatness with:

Good rule.

Reply to
Cam-man

Petem inspired greatness with:

I believe my sock is spelled "cam-man", but you can call me 'can' I suppose.

Nope, not me, dear. Since you posted in the past about your wishes to exterminate Jews and such, I figured you must belong to the klan.

Nannie-nannie, boo-boo, poopie head.

Reply to
Cam-man

Kinda too late for that now, wouldnchasay?

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt Ion inspired greatness with:

Oh well, For what it's worth... I'm much less a "douchebag" or "asswipe" in person.

Reply to
Cam-man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.