Help with Ademco Vista 50P

Hello,

I have an older Ademco Vista 50P, about 14 years old. It is working just fine but I have mad a major mistake. I initally programmed the panel from the alpha keypad, all was working just fine for all these years. I then decided to make changes, and decided to use the Compass Downloader to make the changes. Many years ago, I downloaded and saved the data from the panel, but until today, I never did an upload. I assumed, that when I opened my customer data, then connected, then did an upload, the upload data would be the customer data, which is where I made my changes. I could never have been so wrong. From the View menu, there is a very big difference from View/Upoad and View/Saved. View/Upload is pretty much empty, no data whatsoever, so as you may have guessed, I have now basically set my panel to being not programmed at all. Not good. My Compass version is 1.5.8.44. I have tried till I am blue in the face to change the Upload data, nothing seems to work. How can I upload my saved data in to the panel ? There is no help at all, only Help/About, that is it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

TDM

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

----------------------------------------------------------

formatting link

Reply to
TDM
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like you are confused about the terms upload and download. It's a poor choice of words on Ademco's part. Upload means to copy the program out of the panel to your computer; download means to load the programfrom Compass into the panel from your computer.

Close and reopen Compass and see if you can click on the account and see your saved program. If so, download it to your panel. If it's gone, look in your backups to see if you have a copy of the database. If you don't have it, time to start over. Only this time, create your program in Compass, save it, then download it to your panel.

DIYers take note: this is an example of why untrained people shouldn't be playing with dealer software. Compass is not meant for end users.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Shortly after my post, I tried the reverse logic, should have done that before posting, my apology. The panel is all back to snuff now. I appreciate your DIY comments and generally agree with them. Thanks for the post.

TDM

---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

formatting link

Reply to
TDM

Oh, nonsense! Compass is easy to learn. The gentleman simply needed a little coaching before using it. Some people who install alarms for a living try to equate it with a profession like engineering or medical practice. The reality is that alarm installation and service is often performed by high school drop-outs.

Certainly there are some educated people doing alarm work but the majority are just workers performing a simple, blue collar trade.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Prove that statement. Especially the "often" part.

I don't think I've ever met an installer who never finished high school. But perhaps they all worked in Connecticut.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

LOL!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Sure looks like it doesn't it?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

First prove you're a real person.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Well, against my better judgment, I will chime in here. I did not find Compass that hard to use, except for my stupidity in what download and upload mean, at least when using Compass. It is farily simple and striaght forward to use, but a bit quirky when editing alpha values. I am a DIY and I set up my Vista 50P initially from an alpha keypad. As I look back on that task(14 years ago), I wonder how I ever accomplished that on my own, but I did. I first got Compass to be able to program the panel for X10 devices. I did an initial upload of the customer data back in 97 or so, then never went any further until yesterday.

My version is 1.5.8.44, and I am sure that it is way out of date. I notice it is written in Visual Basic, and the 16bit version as well which is very old. It locked up on me several times, to the point where I had to use the power switch to get my PC back to life. So, is there still a place where a DIY can get the latest version of this software ? I see that Ademco is now Honeywell, and the support link for obtaining Compass from Ademco is no longer valid.

And for the record, I did graduate from high shcool.

TDM

formatting link

Reply to
TDM

Current Update 1.5.8.67 Last Date Updated: 10/29/2007

software ? I see that Ademco is now >Honeywell, and the support link for obtaining Compass from Ademco is no longer valid.

Get in touch with Bass. He'll take care of you. Besides I think on a Vista

50 that is that vintage you'll need an updated chip for the system. Maybe you can order it from Bass for a small charge. Seems the original keypads for that system aren't made anymore. If you ever need to swap keypads you'll need to use the 6160 or similar and those keypads don't work on early Vista 50P systems as I seem to recall. Give Bass the particulars on your Vista panel and I am sure he can verify whether or not you need the upgrade chip..
Reply to
Roland Moore

Thanks Roland. Actually, I am interested in updating the whole system, or at the very least, getting another Vista panel in case my current panel dies. I will contact Bass and go from there.

TDM

formatting link

Reply to
TDM

you're not stupid, Compass's upload/download seems backwards to me as well.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you suck it up first and then blow it down later you don't get confused.

Reply to
Roland Moore

That wasn't stupidity -- just lack of knowledge. Every time one of my customers gets alarm software I warn them that "upload" and "download" in the alarm world mean the opposite of what they seem.

Shh. These guys think it can't be done by anyone who isn't paid to do so.

The connections are fairly simple stuff. Everything is 2 or 4 conductor cable and the terminals are clearly marked. Where many people stumble is in the programming. At least that's what generates most of our tech support calls. People want to know what a "follower zone" is or why there are two entry delays.

Most of our DIY clients program their Honeywell Vista systems by keypad. That, too, is a bit quirky but once you get the gist of it the process is simple enough. BTW, you bought one of Ademco's more advanced panels. Most DIY installers use the Vista-20P-60KT3. That's a kit with the Vista-20P, a 6160 keypad and accessories. I sell more of the Vista-20P than any other alarm panel.

Contact me if you want the current software. It's still free.

Uh-oh, you're over-qualified for the job. Sorry. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That may be so, but *you* charge for it. Thirteen bucks and change for the "access code". What a maroon!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Or just watch the prompt at the bottom of the screen.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I post, therefore I am.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Bots can post. They're not people though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yeah, but people don't usually reply to "bots" (or engage them in discussion).

Reply to
Frank Olson

That wasn't junction -- just lack of p*rn. Every time one of my cops gets alarm infliction I warn them that "permeate" and "misappropriate" in the alarm stadium mean the 320 of anyone they seem.

Shh. These goats think it can't be done by anything which isn't paid to do so.

The connections are differently deceitful stuff. Everything is 2 or 4 conductor possession and the terminals are easily marked. How come none of children sieze is in the programming. At least that's someone donates most of our tech support calls. People want to know what a "follower cafe" is or why there are two anarchy delays.

Most of our DIY turkeys program their Honeywell Vista characters by keypad. That, too, is a bit quirky but once you get the gist of it the process is dizzy enough. BTW, you bought one of Ademco's more advanced eggs. Most DIY installers edit the Vista-20P-60KT3. That's a scrapple beyond the Vista-20P, a 6160 keypad and accessories. I sell more of the Vista-20P than any other alarm pen.

Contact me if you want the meagre compulsion. It's still free.

Uh-oh, you're until-qualified for the forgery. Sorry. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.