HD CCTV Camera

In a recent thread one of the dealers inquired about a high definition CCTV camera. I asked one of my reps and she suggested the following. I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on it, but the OP may wish to look into it. I don't recall who asked for it. If he's still around hope this helps.

Manufacturer: Covi Model Number: EVQ-1000 Retail Price: $621.00 Availability: In stock

The above price is retail. The OP was a dealer and should be able to order it for less.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

"Robert L Bass"

formatting link

Reply to
Barney

HD sensor, but still only NTSC/PAL output... thanks anyway.

Reply to
Matt Ion

You're welcome. How did the job turn out? Were you able to make them happy or at least help them understand what they really needed?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

or at least help them understand what they really

Remains to be seen. We've reiterated that our preferred solution is the Sony camera with HDMI output, but we've worked out a system that should suffice using a hi-res IP camera, DVI outputs to the plasma and projector, and S-out from the PC to a standalone DVD recorder. The boss was about 10 seconds from just telling them to get lost tho...

Reply to
Matt Ion

No one likes a know it all. It seems that most posters here know something interesting or entertaining, just in different areas of the industry (or about some other posters); but no one, especially me, knows it all. Sometimes I post incorrect information just to see who jumps on it. It is a crude way to flush out someone that has his head where my head is. So far no one has posted a comment. I think the last bait I had out there was mentioning using AvaLAN to back haul Arecont video. No one either noticed or cared to post. I guess I haven't pissed in anyone's Post Toasties lately, so they may be letting me slide. For the record the error is if you ever tried that schema it wouldn't work well since the Arecont is too much of a bandwidth hog to use AvaLAN at more than 2 frames per second with Arecont Mpix cameras.

For your situation I think there is more of a future in CMOS versus CCD in the Mpix security camera world and Sony doesn't really make a product that competes there. If you have not looked at Arecont and their new smaller camera bodies I suggest it. Arecont seems committed to using third party DVR/NDVR like Bosch V8.1 and Verint Nextiva to name just a couple. Arecont Mpix cameras will work with the Honeywell DVR so even the trunk slammers get a crack at it. At least they won't be using screw on BNC connectors for once (the premier badge of the true trunk slammer's handiwork as well as the pretend CCTV "professionals"); they will just have to learn how to make a proper RJ-45 connection. I bet I can hear it now over at the over-the-counter distributors (a.k.a. trunk slammer central) where it will be "Do you guys have one of those big phone plug thingy adapters to a coax? If you do give me a dozen of those and a dozen of some twist on BNCs please so I can mount these new cameras." Why can't idiots like that realize they have no future in the security industry other than (perhaps) pulling cable? Too many guys in this industry learned how to install the same way a chicken learns to play the piano. Even when the law says they have to try to learn something new, they sit there in class, happy to just eat, squawk, and shit. How big a pile of crap do you have to get in the warehouse by yanking out all the Geovision, Everfocus, Speco, and every other low end dirt ball manufacturer's gear before its big enough to show new customers what NOT to buy, and they will finally realize what junk that stuff really is; (not to mention what an idiot the guy was that sold it to them and "installed" it)?

With the bankruptcy of Ipix, the 180 degree and 360 degree Mpix security camera market may be getting new blood and money and may be ready to really start moving. You might want to try to get yourself in front of the pack.

"Matt Ion" wrote in message news:nWbxh.876947$5R2.468926@pd7urf3no...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Are you drunk? You're babbling on about crap that's got nothing to do with my original question. Go back and find the previous thread about "HD CCTV" before you decide to play know-it-all.

Reply to
Matt Ion

That time of the month, eh Matt?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't drink often. Less than a 6 pack a year. It is unlikely that such a quantity consumed over such a time period would get one intoxicated. However, you're free to reach your own conclusion, but I don't think I have had anything this year yet.

We are not home theater (or home anything really) so I don't know what is out there in that market. For the record however, you know that most commercial cable TV feeds use the 720p (HDTV1) not the 1080p (HDTV2). The dish feeds use the 1080p. Most human eyes cannot tell the difference in the two. Sounds like you were after a number here and not a specific result. Are you going to fool us and say this was all for an ITS project?

That is exactly what an Arecont camera is, a "high resolution" (a.k.a. Mega Pixel) IP camera. It offers higher resolution than any current Sony IP camera designed for this market segment. Maybe I should be more to the point. You described in this thread a Rube Goldberg solution to the customer's request. Was all that perhaps because of a brand choice (like Sony) of camera and its limitations? I don't know what kind of setup this guy had but folks like Sunfire not to mention Arecont itself might have had an more interesting off the shelf solution for a digital IP input to HDMI style output. I am not a know it all in that area certainly.

Still using twist on BNC connectors? ;-)

I believe we operate in different market segments. The questions I get from customers lately are more like: Why can't I use an iSCSI server based emulator to record video from an encoder? Why can I only use a traditional iSCSI on an NVR and not on encoders as well? I am sure you know the answers to all of that, right? Yes, and that's is why I posted them here first. (Cough)

Reply to
Roland Moore

Um, no. All I want - or wanted initially, before the client started adding things - is a straight video camera to feed an HDTV set. That's exactly what it says in my post you quoted above. Is there some new reading disability that causes you to read MORE than is there?

Um, no... the customer's request INITIALLY was simply a high-definition camera to run a 1080p signal to their existing large flat-panel HDTV set (they've consistantly refused to specify a brand or model; I'm not even sure if they ever specified whether it was plasma, LCD or DLP). A specific Sony HANDYCAM was the only thing we could find in preliminary searches (and still the only thing for less than several thousand dollars) that is a high-def video camera with a high-def (HDMI) video output. I have no specific love of Sony or the premium you pay for the name, that's simply all we found available at the time. Bass came up with a super-duper-skookum PTZ videoconferencing camera... for US$9k.

Since we normally deal with CCTV, PC-based DVRs and hi-res IP cameras, our FIRST suggestion was to simply stream an IP camera through a PC to the customer's existing HDTV panel through its VGA or DVI input. Unfortunately, they then realized that HEY! if we have it running to a PC, then we can record it and make DVDs for people! Oh, but it has to be REALLY easy to do... oh and hey, we can let people watch over the internet as well!

I still maintain that the SIMPLEST solution is the Sony camera, HDMI straight to the display, and parallel S-video out to a standalone DVD recorder, but the client has now decided that a handycam doesn't look "pro" enough, and will absolutely not go that route, so we're stuck having to mickey-mouse together an OVERKILL system with a PC and IP camera (if this does go ahead, we'll probably be using the IQEye cameras that we normally deal with, and don't bother selling me on "higher resolution" because they have cameras up to 5MP and anything over

1.3MP is really overkill anyway) because that LOOKS much more PROFESSIONAL.

Despite the fact that it would mean a nice out-of-town trip for a few days and be a bit of brain teaser, I'm really hoping that we DON'T get this job because I see it as the source of endless headaches from an ultra-high-maintenance client...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt, I don't think you'll ever make enough money from this client to even begin to pay for the therapy....

I had a client like that about 10 yrs ago... wanted a WALL of televisions (5 main screens, several smaller ones) integrated with the whole-house audio system, but wanted to control it all (AND the automation stuff) through his fancy computerized TV remote. Every time this guy did a little more research, he would add a few more things to his "wish list".

He was a freakin nightmare, and we almost lost our ass trying to make him happy.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.