Game-Spotting Camera For Surveilance?

In an effort to find out what's gobbling up our gardens, I've ordered one of these:

formatting link
I went a couple of steps higher-end than needed for the job at hand bc I had another use in mind: watching a spot where somebody stole a bunch of equipment during the night following a certain semi-annual event at that site.

That other use consists of watching an area less than 20 feet away, about 30 feet wide that is not expected tb frequented by anybody/anything during the hours of observation. Not 24-7 just on selected nights.

Does anybody have experience with these things? Did I just fritter away the $250 or so price diff... or is there a chance this might do the job?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
Loading thread data ...

It's a mixed bag. A construction company I know put in one with a flash of all things in one of their homes nearing completion. They had been having a problem with appliances being stolen out of new houses. The bad guys just stole the camera too. LOL. I have been suggesting the camouflaged IR digital ones for various applications to people for a while now. One fellow told me he owned about 800 acres of woods in New Zealand, and he had problems with people messing with his bulldozer (used for clearing some invasive spiny bush). He said he got a few decent pictures, but the local LEOs didn't do anything.

I suspect it's a mixed bag for you as well. If you can personally ID the perps and hold the cops hand while taking them to where they can pick them up you might get somewhere. Anyway in some circumstances you might get some decent pics. I suggest if you can limit area of coverage, or better yet get pictures of vehicles too you might be able to do some of the legwork yourself.

Let me give you a personal example. I had some rifles stolen many years ago. I had a pretty good idea who stole them, what they did with them, and where they likely sold them. I did all the things you are supposed to do. Reported it, gave the police all the info, etc, and they did nothing. They never even questioned the suspects. A couple weeks later I ran into one of the involved parties, asked a few questions, made a few comments, and basically frightened them into admitting what happened. (I didn't do anything illegal.) Then I took that person down to the police station basically stating that I would speak on their behalf if they told the police the truth. The cops then picked up the primary perp who when faced with simply having to look me and the other party in the face confessed. There was more involved than that, but I had my rifles back the same day. It did take me a full day of my time after I took the first perp into the police station.

Be careful though. Cops can get upset at citizens doing their own police work and showing them up, and worse walking a perp into the police station themselves. You walk a very fine line when you take that tactic. Its perfectly legal to do in most places, but they don't like it much. I have been lucky enough to get older more understanding cops when I have had to do things like this.

In a recent illegal border crossing case here in Arizona, citizens who made what would on the surface appear to be a legal citizens arrest of illegals crossing the river near Algondones were then charged on a number of felonies.

Sigh, I look back on this post and see I am suffering yet again from diarrhea of the keyboard. Well, hopefully you can make some sense of it. No I don't think you wasted your money, but you have to look at the big picture to see if its worth it for you.

Your camera may be a decent tool, but remember its just one tool. It takes a hammer to build a house, but you can't build one with just a hammer.

Bob La Londe

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Per Bob La Londe:

You are not alone. That's been with me all my life - or at least since keyboards came into it.

Probably in the DNA.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

RHC: No one has to apologize for long winded posts if you have something to say. The English language is a tool, just like any other tool. Use it precisely and fluently and it gives a wealth of meaning to your thoughts, that might otherwise be misinterpreted or plain misunderstood without explaining the details. Some things take a bit of time and description to fully describe. Besides, it gives "colour"to your post, something that is sorely missed in a lot of the bullshit...er...true verbal diarrhea around this newsgroup....

Reply to
tourman

Per tourman:

I should have added that I found his post interesting and informative.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Jeeze... You wrote a bunch of stuff just to say "don't sweat it".

Reply to
G. Morgan

I think that was his point. LOL

Bob La Londe

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.