Freedom

I don't know what to do first. A scant 13 hours ago it happened. I am no longer in the alarm business. Hope I can still pop in here if I feel like it to pretend to know something once in a while.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Bob that's why they keep me around, for all the "old" stuff that the younger tech's have never seen before, and all those (unheard of) short cuts... LOL

FYI; keep your licenses up to date, never know when they might come in handy...

RTS

Reply to
Rocky T. Squirrel

Maybe you enjoy yourself for a while without all the headaches, and when yo u start getting some calls about new jobs, you keep pushing them away until they agree to pay you 10 times what you would have normally charged, as a consultant of course...you don't want to upset your prior arrangement with your benefactor.

Have a Happy and blessed New Year!

Reply to
E Dawson

I love seeing younger techs eyes pop out when you mention wire traps and foil and reverse polarity

Reply to
NickMark

Bob, you never lose the wisdom, however, the beginning of the expulsion of the wisdom changes to:

"Well sonny, let me tell you about the day before you were born that I"

Oh, and of course it needs to be in a crackly voice.

Now if you can learn how to type in a crackly voice you would be golden. LOL

I do hope all goes well with the CNC Shop stuff. Still have the logos you did for me proudly displayed on the entertainment unit. Thanks again for those.

Stop in anytime. Us few ol' Pharts may still be here. (Speaking for myself of course) :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I do hope all goes well with the CNC Shop stuff. Still have the logos you did for me proudly displayed on the entertainment unit. Thanks again for those.

I've always felt those didn't come out as well as I would have liked. I'm glad you like them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have more wood if you would like another attempt or two. :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

Sure I'd be glad to. My little router is not being used much these days anyway. Most of the paying work is being done on the mills. Now to see if I can find the cleaned up files I made for the logo. I also think I need to take some time to read the grain to prevent or reduce chip off on the ends of those rays.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Carrying the thoughts a bit further. Do you think a different wood might fair better than the mahogany??

Reply to
ABLE1

I don't know. I know more about machining aluminum than hard woods. I know some woods get really fuzzy edges when machine. I usually use downcut bits on those to shear off fibers bettter, but some sanding is always required. I like poplar for simple stuff like engraved wood plaques. It still has problems, but because its cheap I don't mind pitching about 1 in 8 into the trash. Coarse grains like Oak can be really tricky. They saw cut ok, but fine work is hard to cut smooth. sand sand sand.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Welllll I donno. This here's a pretty exclusive group ya know. The eppytomi of high class .... alarm installerers, ifen ya know what I mean.

Best of luck Bob. I would advise you also to hold on to that license ..... at least for another "term". Ya never know and I'm sure it's not that big of an expense to keep it going for a little while longer.

Like they say " Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

By the way, to all, I know it's a little late but we went away for Christmas week and I didn't get a chance to wish everyone here a Happy New Year.

Best to all

Reply to
Jim Davis

Welllll I donno. This here's a pretty exclusive group ya know. The eppytomi of high class .... alarm installerers, ifen ya know what I mean.

Best of luck Bob. I would advise you also to hold on to that license ..... at least for another "term". Ya never know and I'm sure it's not that big of an expense to keep it going for a little while longer.

Like they say " Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

By the way, to all, I know it's a little late but we went away for Christmas week and I didn't get a chance to wish everyone here a Happy New Year.

Best to all

************* Keeping my Licenses *************

I hear you, but I don't want to be a contractor anymore. Maybe in a few years I might change my mind, but I could just sell off extra and duplicate tools for a while to pay bills if I had to. When my licenses come due I'll decide for sure, but I'll probably cancel them. I don't think it would be to hard to renew them if I cancel them properly anyway. To be honest I'd be more likely to go be a janitor for somebody than go back to the alarm business. I am already feeling the huge weight lifted off from not having to be on call 24/7. I even turned my phone off the other night and didn't worry a bit about it.

************* ADDICT DREAMS *************

in April 1988 I quit smoking cigarettes. Threw my last pack out the window of the truck and that was it. I may have shared the store here before. Its personally moving to me. Anyway. The absolute worst part were the dreams. I would dream I woke up, smoked a cigarettes, stubbed it out on the floor, and went back to sleep. They were so real that when I woke up I'd have to check around on the floor for the butt to make sure it didn't happen. I had those dreams for about two years. I didn't figure I had it beat until one day I realized I hadn't had not had one of those dreams for a couple years.

Last night I dreamed I was trying to get out of a clients place. They kept having problems with their phone system, and every time I fixed something and was ready to go somebody told me about some other issue. Voice mail, noise, broken handsets.... It just kept going on and on. It was for a real customer I used to have. Long term customer of 17 or 18 years. It was like a real hell. The only reason I realized it wasn't real was because I had never sold that customer a phone system. I just worked on their alarms and access control systems.

I really don't want to go back.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I understand Bob. Milling wood can be very iffy at best. Depending on the complexity of the cut the grain will run in multiple directions. Thanks for the insight.

BTW you may have caught this on another group but I think this it is worth repeating here for all to get some different education. :-) It is really worth the watch and listen.

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

I used to have one of those exact model inch units. Carried it around in my pocket all the time until it wandered off. LOL. I notice he only uses digital units. I find that there are times when you just can't beat an analog inch unit.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have to applaude his video editing skills. I have watched a lot of his videos, but I had not seen that one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just the other day, I heard someone quote a line attributed to Winston Churchill and I really liked it. It may apply here.

"If your feel like your going through hell,....... KEEP GOING !"

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim, Yer an asshole. LOL. I mean that in a good way. LOL.

NYC right? If I am up that way I'll look you up and buy you a drink.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, with that comment, you and my wife would get along great!

NEAR NYC.

But let me know. I might be able to make it.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.