found some good deals ......

I found a few good deals and they are in the mail:

1) Speco HT650PT10X High Resolution Motorized Dome Camera

2) Speco DVR4TL250 4 Channel DVR

Now a few questions please -- the DVR has BNC camera inputs but the instructions for the camera are a little more complex:

------------

Connect the camera using the supplied terminal block:

A) Connect the control unit via the twisted, 2-conductor line (max length length 1200 meters) to the pin array 5 (RS485A) and 6 (RS485B). Connect all cameras in parallel to this 2 conductor control line.

B) Feed the video signal at contact 3 via a shielded cable to the video input of the following unit (eg, monitor, camera switcher, video splitter)

Connect the shield to contact 4.

C) 12V + to pin 1 and ground to pin 2.

-----------

Ok now ..... RS485 control signals interface at a terminal block on both the camera and DVR. What is the best twisted wire pair to use for this? Would one twisted pair of a Cat 5 cable work ok for 100 yards?

If Cat 5 cable is used for the RS485 control signals, can I transmit the video and "shield" down a second twisted pair in the same Cat 5 cable?

Could I ship 12 volts and ground down a third twisted pair in the same cable? If so, how far?

Last problem, the DVR has BNC connectors for video in. Would I just soldier a BNC connector on the video cable for connection at the DVR? What about impedance matching? Any problems to watch for? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Reply to
Chuck
Loading thread data ...

Well, based on your questions it would seem that they may be incompatible devices.

Good Luck!!

Reply to
ABLE1

If you are using twisted pair for the video you should also use video baluns.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

See Inline

you could use shielded Cat 5

You could do the video if you are using balun's but not shield or power

No, cat 5 is not large enough to supply power 300 feet, assuming you are running pan tilt motors and heater/blowers. Their are online calculators to figure out your wire size.

Use Video Baluns

Hope that helps, James

Reply to
James B

Excellent info -- thanks.

Who makes quality baluns? Any brands to avoid?

Reply to
JudyS

I suggest you do a little research on what a "shield" is.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Sorry, I did not think to mention what is meant by shield wire. The shield is the overall foil covering that would be around the cat 5 pairs. It is used to help keep out interferance. Along with the foil covering will be a wire with no insulation on it. This is the wire that is refered to when shield is mentioned.

James

Reply to
James B

Right. My post was aimed at the OP who asked about using a second twisted pair to transmit the video and "shield".

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Thanks folks.

Reply to
Chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.