Form B Reed Switches on Wireless Alarm Sensors

Anybody know of any wireless alarm transmitters that use Form B (NO) magnetic reed switches in them? Just curious... Thanks in advance.

Reply to
BobbyD
Loading thread data ...

Dear Bobby,

Is this a trick question??

The words "in them" may have been typed wrong. "With them" may the correct way of expressing the question.

Most all "good quality" devices transmitters will work "with them"!!

You just need to program and configure as needed for whatever you are trying to do.

It is the cheap stuff that is questionable!!

If it was intentional to use "in them" then why would anyone care if they work out of the box??

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

??

Reply to
BobbyD

formatting link

Reply to
Jim Davis

gnetic reed switches in them? Just curious... Thanks in advance.

Whoops ?.. sorry. I missed the word "Transmitter" Thought you were just looking for an OC reed Switch.

Some of the older Transmitters of some of the manufacturers had the ability to use OC external contacts. I think that Napco's older transmitters are s till available. Have to use a resistor in the circuit IIRC.

You also might want to try Inovonics.

Reply to
Jim Davis

On 7/24/2018 11:17 AM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 7/23/2018 11:07 PM, BobbyD wrote: >> Anybody know of any wireless alarm transmitters that use Form B (NO) magnetic reed switches in them? Just curious... Thanks in advance. >> > Dear Bobby, > > Is this a trick question?? > > The words "in them" may have been typed wrong. > "With them" may the correct way of expressing the question. > > Most all "good quality" devices transmitters will work "with them"!! > > You just need to program and configure as needed for whatever you > are trying to do. > > It is the cheap stuff that is questionable!! > > If it was intentional to use "in them" then why would anyone care > if they work out of the box?? > > Les >

You ok Les? You are sounding particularly curmudgeonly today. I thought, "Gee, that sounds like me. I don't remember writing that."

Imagine my relief when I read your name at the end of the post.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

"curmudgeonly"?? Did you spell that out of memory?? LOL

Well I guess I just had a different day, or something. Thanks for taking notice!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

dvance.

? I

."

Hmmmm!

I didn't notice anything different.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

It might have been the color of my hair or something that I don't have any of...............

I do know that recently I had spent hours+++ on a NVR trying to DL some video to a flash stick. Only to find out later that the procedure is undocumented.

Now you may say, what so difficult in that?? Well, when you choose the video files to export and then click on OK. Nothing and I mean nothing pops up indicating that files are being written to the flash stick. I finally figured out that if I click on Ok and then walk away for about

15 minutes that upon return the files were there.

Only after I demo'd for the local sales rep. and he was puzzled as well, was it pointed out by some other corp-tech that "Oh, you need to click on that icon in the upper right hand corner to see the files that are being written to the stick.

Absolutely nothing in the docs. Under pressure to get the files before they get over written. Hours of time wasted. Anyhow it was not enjoyable.

As for what I typed here, I guess I could sugar coated it a bit.......... maybe..............

Maybe I should have asked if he is thinking of a Form B HELD open or energized magnetic reed switch.

A ?Form B? would mean the contacts are Normally Closed or NC when the coil of the relay is not energized or the there is no magnetic field nearby in a reed switch.

A ?Form A? would mean the contacts are normally open or NO when the coil of the relay is not energized or the there is no magnetic field nearby in a reed switch.

Hence why I asked if it was a trick question.

Guess we shall never know.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

advance.

at."

O

Well ?? Thank you Les, for the refresher course in relay co ntact configuration. But all of that can be eliminated if you use a form C ???. so there! . I know all that information is in this brain somewhere just waiting to be c alled upon the next time I come across a relay. ( Or, like the new trainee with the "Electroix background" said ------------- "Wot's a relay") . (That reminds me of my favorite over the desk poster that says " Sex mons a go, I count evan spel injunear, now I are one") . Re, NVR. ?. Yeah, it's amazing how all these devices get out in the field and the only one's who know how to use them are the Mfg techs. Even if there IS documentation it's either wrong or incomplete and to boot, you have to download it because they don't send it with the device. And it's us ually 178 pages long with everything you never wanted to know in it. ------

- THEN ??? when you discover the discrepancies and you go on line for the information, all the nomenclature and instructions (including videos and pics) is for prior versions but no info for the one y ou have in the field. NOW, it's a half hour waiting and listening to rap mu sic on hold for tech support who ?.. if you're lucky ?.. yo u may get one who knows what they're talking about without putting you on h old while they "check the data base " ?.. . OH and What I meant by "HMMMMMM I didn't notice any difference" is that you just seemed like your usual nasty self ?? :-0 ( jus being sarcastic)

Reply to
Jim Davis

Thanks Jim!!

BTW have you or anyone called NAPCO tech support recently?? If not, call during the day(busy time) and see how long you can suffer being on hold. RAP music would be a blessing. I don't want spoil the pain by typing the experience here. If you have then you already know. If not then dial 800-645-9445, 1 , 1

Also Jim, all of what you typed above is absolutely accurate. The mfg's use US as their QC Dept. PITA

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

If I understand you correctly by your request, I have used wireless door/wi ndow transmitters that are normally open for a special application. It was for a customer's home that already had a security system in his home and wa nted to know if/when his elderly father was opening the exterior doors whil e he was alone. The brand of the system was DSC, and DSC does have normally open wireless door/window transmitters. Since there was already a dual int ernet/cellular communicator in the home, and he was able to receive instant text/robocall/emails regarding any condition of the system, I programmed t he door transmitters as arming/disarming of a new second partition. Wheneve r the door opened or closed, the 2nd partition was arming or disarming, whi ch he received notification of on his cellphone. This was irrelevant to the condition of the other regular wired door contacts on partition 1. As to a ny other brand, you would have to consult with your supplier, preferably so meone who has been in the business for a while.

Reply to
Hogan

you correctly by your request, I have used wireless d oor/window transmitters that are normally open for a s pecial application. It was for a customer's home that already had a security system in his home and wanted t o know if/when his elderly father was opening the exte rior doors while he was alone. The brand of the system was DSC, and DSC does have normally open wireless doo r/window transmitters. Since there was already a dual internet/cellular communicator in the home, and he was able to receive instant text/robocall/emails regardin g any condition of the system, I programmed the door t ransmitters as arming/disarming of a new second partit ion. Whenever the door opened or closed, the 2nd parti tion was arming or disarming, which he received notifi cation of on his cellphone. This was irrelevant to the condition of the other regular wired door contacts on partition 1. As to any other brand, you would have to consult with your supplier, preferably someone who ha s been in the business for a while.

Hogan,

That is a very (cool) tricky way of accomplishing the task.

With Network panels and Alarm.com the same c ould

have been accomplished in a much different way .

I use Networx panels and the standard door transm itter has on-board reed switches it use the unit out of the box as well as terminals to install a hardwire d contact that can be either a configured with either a Form A or Form B contact.

I just assumed that a ll other popular manufactures had the same ability in their transmitters. It is just a matter of looking at the product line and spec's to find the one that m eets your specific needs for the project.

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 10:06:37 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

y contact configuration. But all of that can be eliminated if you use a for m C ???. so there!

be called upon the next time I come across a relay. ( Or, like the new trai nee with the "Electroix background" said ------------- "Wot's a relay")

ns ago, I count evan spel injunear, now I are one")

the field and the only one's who know how to use them are the Mfg techs. E ven if there IS documentation it's either wrong or incomplete and to boot, you have to download it because they don't send it with the device. And it' s usually 178 pages long with everything you never wanted to know in it. --

----- THEN ??? when you discover the discrepancies and you go on line for the information, all the nomenclature and instructi ons (including videos and pics) is for prior versions but no info for the o ne you have in the field. NOW, it's a half hour waiting and listening to ra p music on hold for tech support who ?.. if you're lucky ?. . you may get one who knows what they're talking about without putting you on hold while they "check the data base " ?..

you just seemed like your usual nasty self ?? :-0 ( jus be ing sarcastic)

W.E.L.L.L.L...? I have to say ?? that ?? ?? since I (in another life many many years ago) was a tech support guy , that I kinda,sorta,maybe, sympathize with (some) tech support departments . Although I sometimes have a long wait for NAPCO tech support, since I've been using their products since the mid 70's I kinda let it slide when the re's a long wait. But, on the other hand, I very seldom HAVE to call them a nd since I'm located very near their main office I have the opportunity to go to all of their important tech seminars that they give quite often in th is area. I've got somewhat of a reputation with some of the engineering dep artment and some of the older techs. Well, maybe not a "reputation" but pos sibly more of a rapport, since they know that I'm local. There's sort of a comradery between "New Yorkers" that's just not there with people from othe r areas of the country. . I think I've mentioned this here before but, I have a theory that there is such a thing as a "New York Minute" and this is gleaned from my past experi ence as a "telephone jockey". . My theory is, that a New York Minute can be about 30 seconds long. When a true New Yorker is talking to another person, by the time the person has ha lf finished his sentence, the New Yorker is already responding. For anyone south and west of New Jersey, and north of Connecticut you can increase th at to 45 seconds. Of course, the time warp eliminates all the "niceties" no rmally extended and expected in return by the "other" people. This is why m ost people from other areas think that New Yorkers are rude. We're not rude . We're just 30 second ahead.

I don't know where you are, so don't take offense. It's just a theory. Or ?.. I guess it could be just an excuse and we really are rude.

I've tried to pay attention to conversations that I've had with non-New Yor k techs and the pattern seems to be somewhat detectable. Not all the time b ut sometimes there seems to be more pausing and banter and a "social" air t o the conversation with them then with New York based techs. If you have an opportunity, give a listen sometime.

On the other hand ??. when I was a young man, I always used to wonder why old men where so crotchety ------ now I know.

Reply to
Jim Davis

r/window transmitters that are normally open for a special application. It was for a customer's home that already had a security system in his home an d wanted to know if/when his elderly father was opening the exterior doors while he was alone. The brand of the system was DSC, and DSC does have norm ally open wireless door/window transmitters. Since there was already a dual internet/cellular communicator in the home, and he was able to receive ins tant text/robocall/emails regarding any condition of the system, I programm ed the door transmitters as arming/disarming of a new second partition. Whe never the door opened or closed, the 2nd partition was arming or disarming, which he received notification of on his cellphone. This was irrelevant to the condition of the other regular wired door contacts on partition 1. As to any other brand, you would have to consult with your supplier, preferabl y someone who has been in the business for a while.

With the "C" version of the Napco Starlink cellular, it comes with the IBri dge protocol built in. You can program the IBridge to text or email not onl y alarm and opening and closing signals but open and closing of specific zo nes when the system is not armed. The Starlink "C" can be used with Honeywe ll and DSC panels also. There are some limitations when used with these oth er panels however. I don't know specifically what they are ?.. thou gh.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

Thanks for the better understanding of the "New York Minute". Never knew that was the problem. But what I was referring to was not the conversation with anyone at Napco Tech Support, which goes quite well once I get there.

What I was referring to was their MOH. Message on Hold. Again it would be better if you dialed the number and listen of a minute or so if you can survive that long. When you really need to speak to someone you do not have a choice.

Since, you now say you have a rapport with someone there, maybe you can help by suggesting they change it to some elevator music for about 1 minute every 15 seconds or so.

Give it a listen, I am sure even with your New York'ness you will understand my point.

BTW Location is South Central Pennsylvania (where all the vertical H2O has been lately)

Have a good weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Good to know...

I just drop em a email with cut and paste manual parts or photos.. That tends to get a timely and concise answer... plus i have a written record of contact and answers if followup is needed..

RTS

Reply to
RTS

That might be possible if you are sitting at your desk and can wait for the answer. Even sending a email from the field is possible but most times email response is not very efficient or timely.

However, standing in front of the panel/keypad with the customer who is watching the clock is a different experience altogether.

On the other hand I had a tech support guy years ago ask me if I had read the manual. (that I did not have) I was asked to look at the system to see if I could fix it. I had not installed the system. I was coming in second/third fiddle.

When I replied "no", he said well I can't help you if you haven't read the manual, and hung up on me.

I have not touched that product line ever again. They are now defunct. I wonder why??

Told the customer it was non-functional, replaced with another mfg. equipment and moved on.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

That might be possible if you are sitting at your desk and can wait for the answer. Even sending a email from the field is possible but most times email response is not very efficient or timely.

However, standing in front of the panel/keypad with the customer who is watching the clock is a different experience altogether.

On the other hand I had a tech support guy years ago ask me if I had read the manual. (that I did not have) I was asked to look at the system to see if I could fix it. I had not installed the system. I was coming in second/third fiddle.

When I replied "no", he said well I can't help you if you haven't read the manual, and hung up on me.

I have not touched that product line ever again. They are now defunct. I wonder why??

Told the customer it was non-functional, replaced with another mfg. equipment and moved on.

Les

I replaced a fair number of DMP panels with Napco. My whole experience with DMP was pretty rough. Napco treated me like my business was important.... well except for having to make an appointment for a tech support call so I wouldn't have to stand there killing my cell phone battery waiting.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

RTS

Reply to
RTS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.