Fans Sets Off Glassbreak

Ok... I haven't an idea where to look with this one...

I have not been out to the site yet, but the customer claims the alarm goes off when they turn on the ceiling fan.

Ok... I do have an idea. This was a takeover, and I didn't run any of the wire. I wonder if one of the wires is parallel to the fan wire in the attic, and its getting an induced voltage spike when the motor starts up... I don't know.

I've always been careful of that sort of thing myself and I have never experienced that on an alarm.

I guess I also need to go listen to the fan starting up. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

I wouldn't think the wire would be neatly stapled along with the electrical= in an attic. Actually, I wouldn't think it would be stapled at all. Unles= s, of course, it was a pre-wired house and the electrical was done after th= e alarm.

Perhaps they aren't actually glassbreaks? I've removed the occasional sens= or that are about as old as I am where they have a microphone inside and si= mply go off with any sound. They're about 3"x10" with a foam cover and alm= ost look like cheap speakers with a red LED that lights up when it picks up= sound. You can set those off with a loud footstep.

Either way... hope you figure it out. Let us know what you find.

- Chris

Reply to
Chris

Bob had the same thing, And after checking in the attic I found that the ckt loop wire was in a 5 loop coil on top of the electrical box holding the ceiling fan.. (I have no idea why) Before moving the coil of wire I checked the voltage being generated by the fan and it came to around 25 volts ac.. to ground.. We moved the coil and no more problems.. But why the original install had put that coil on the E-box, I haven't a clue..

I'm guessing a ferrite bead on the loop connection would have worked also, if you can't get to the ckt loop wire to see it's placement.

RTS

Ok... I haven't an idea where to look with this one...

I have not been out to the site yet, but the customer claims the alarm goes off when they turn on the ceiling fan.

Ok... I do have an idea. This was a takeover, and I didn't run any of the wire. I wonder if one of the wires is parallel to the fan wire in the attic, and its getting an induced voltage spike when the motor starts up... I don't know.

I've always been careful of that sort of thing myself and I have never experienced that on an alarm.

I guess I also need to go listen to the fan starting up. LOL.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I found a double door on the same zone that wasn't properly latched. Top pin of passive door was down so both doors could move easily at the top.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well there goes my theory. Home run wiring and zone expanders go a long way.

- Chris

Reply to
Chris

Well, I was going to say that maybe .... if the fan was really old and had = a big motor that maybe the "thunk" when the motor started with the combinat= ion of the movement of the air ..... might be enough to set off one of thos= e old ... old glass breaks But ...................... never m= ind!

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.