False motion alarm last night - Unexplained

So I had my first false alarm last night, two years after having installed my Ademco system. It was a motion detector in my garage that tripped, which was curious since the side garage door sensor had not been tripped. Called the cops in anyhow, and as I suspected, the coast was clear. So I went out to inspect the sensor... One thing I noticed was that there were ALOT of cob webs around the motion detector that tripped. I cleaned them all away, but what I'm wondering is what can it really take to trip one of the wireless Ademco motions? I haven't found any trace (droppings, etc) of any varmits in the garage, so am rather stumped. I would love to hear theories or just "once in 2 years aint bad" from the experts.

Thanks!!

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail
Loading thread data ...

Open the sensor. You might have a spider or another type of insect inside. Some motions aren't designed for harsh environments like the garage area. I would replace it with a Sentrol PI6000, or an Ademco Aurora. I have these motions in warehouses with rats, cats, & birds, with no problems.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Agreed about checking inside the detector. If there's anything in there, clean it out and caulk the wire opening with a dab of RTV (silicone) sealant. Also, to prevent future infestation, saturate a small piece of sponge with Raid and insert it in the detector before you replace the cover. The detector will remain insect free for 20 years.

As to replacement, I disagree. If the detector has gone two years in that location without a problem, it's probably going to be OK there. This definitely sounds like something changed or something moved in front of it. Obviously the cobwebs around the detector are a strong indication of the cause.

It wouldn't hurt to fog the garage with Raid every so often as well.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have to fog my sheds & garage each month. If I don't, the insects would overrun. Carpenter ants & giant roaches are everywhere here in Florida.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thats it Jim, add to the homeless population. :o]That is something else that is everywhere here in Florida.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

You're mistaken. Those were Worthy and Mugford snooping around your garage looking for some free hardware.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And everywhere else. With the way Bush has destroyed the economy, look for more of that in the future.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

When I first moved here, the homeless camps were real close by in wooded areas. Now that they built new homes & parks out of the heavily wooded areas, the homeless relocated to Matawan, NJ... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Heh, heh, heh... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

garage looking for some free hardware.

You must be feeling better.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I thought those bugs looked familiar... LMAO

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

for more of that in the future.

Gee, now I know you are feeling better. You posted a response to one of my posts. How long has it been now, 5-6 months since that last happened? I take that back, you hey heyed over the ADT thing about protecting the US with one of their basic systems I posted the other day. I'll let you start feeling real well before I get back after ya! I miss the kicks and giggles. :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

If either Mugford or I was ever in your warehouse and the motions didn't trip, I would have serious questions about your suggestions on which ones to use. 250lb pet immunes haven't hit the market yet and I am being kind on Norm's behalf.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

The past few days have been good. The chemo is on a 21-day cycle. Just about the time I get almost well they start another round.

I just configured MSOE on this PC and have not yet added filters.

That was pretty funny.

Gee, thanks. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's weird, because I had many more scorpions in my yard when Clinton was in office.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

for more of that in the future.

4.6% unemployment 4.1% GDP so far this year 6.6 million jobs created since mid 2003 Wage growth 4.1% (better than Clinton) 2.5% increase in productivity in the last year Record Dow....

Yea really destroyed isn't it?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Stop with the scorpions, you know they weren't scorpions, they were man eating vinegarroons spawned by the chupa-cabra! I never heard of a chupa-cabra before Clinton came into office. And vinegarroons are dangerous! Haven't you noticed that when you see someone touch a Vinegarroon they always shrink to look small and look younger, almost like they are playing with them? And don't tell me it's those faster than the speed of light UFOs making time run backwards. I have been on plenty of UFOs and I still have gray hair. Anyone seen my tin foil? I think the aliens took it again.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Shhhhh. Let him have his fun:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

I always thought I lost at least 10 IQ points when I crossed the Sabine River into Louisiana. Now I know I have nothing to fear there. Thanks.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I was in Port Arthur today, dangerously close!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.