External Relay Control on GEM-P816

Does anyone know what system events I can use to control external relays on the GEM-P816? I can't find a list in any of the documentation I found.

Reply to
yeahprolly
Loading thread data ...

As far as I can determine, it isn't compatable with the relay module. As I said in an early post, I'm pretty sure that the panel has to have relay control to be compatable with the X10 module. Unless there's a revision out on the P816 that I'm not aware of, it does not have relay control capability. You'll have to upgrade to at least the P1632, which only has minimal options. The 9600 is the preferred panel for the best choices of relay/X10 control.

Reply to
Jim

The latest revision (v10) is compatible

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Thanks Jim. I have confirmed that I have version 10 of the firmware which definitely supports the GEM-X10 module, and thus provides external relay control. I guess nobody really knows exactly how granular the external relay control is on the GEM-P816 provides since support for external relay control (or at least GEM-X10 support) is relatively new for the GEM-P816 (2004). This is probably because most people doing what I'm trying to accomplish are using higher-end alarm panels.

In order for me not to have to touch the alarm panel (to avoid dealing with the alarm monitoring company), I would ideally like to use the GEM-X10 module to translate as many granular events as possible into X10 signals (hopefully these events will include at least an open/ close on each individual zone, system armed/disarmed, alarm sounding, fire alert, etc). I'll then be sending a unique X10 signal for each event to my Home Controller (PC running X10 compatible software), for which I can then create any actions (more X10 commands to actually control things) I want. I should also be able to send an email with any event received from the GEM-P816. This way, I don't need to touch the panel to rewire any of the contacts or reprogram like I would if I upgraded the panel. I believe I will be able to configure up to 64 events to trigger the sending of up to 64 X10 codes (simulating (8) 8- port external relay modules).

I will advise once I am able to determine if this is all possible. If anyone has any suggestions or comments as of this point, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! Ken

Reply to
yeahprolly

Ken,

I have the Version 10 programming manual. It makes no mention of the GEM-X10 or the relay board. I also have the most current version of Napco's "Quickloadr" programming software. Under the P816 there is no screen for configuring a GEM-X10, an RB1000 or an RB1008.

It is possible that something has changed and that I've missed it. Like Jim who is also trying to assist you, I mainly used Napco's larger panels. However, I spoke to a Napco tech support rep and he said the panel won't support it. One fellow here insists it will and it is possible he's right. However, I'd strongly advise you to confirm the panel will support it before you buy anything.

I sell Napco to DIYers but I would not offer you the board unless we first confirmed it was going to work. I can confirm that Jim is correct about relay control. Napco's panels see the GEM-X10 as if it was an external relay board. They won't dim or do "scenes" but they will turn devices on or off at preset times or upon various conditions and events (alarms, arming, disarming, zone status changes, trouble conditions, etc.).

I've used Napco's external relay boards to do all sorts of things, including fully automating alarm systems for use in Orthodox Jewish synagogues, performing basic access control of door locks, etc. You can do a lot with the larger panels. Until we can get Napco to confirm the P816 is compatible with the GEM-X10 module though, I suggest you hold off on buying one.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

-X10 or the relay board. I also have the most current

re is no screen for configuring a GEM-X10, an RB1000 or an

Jim who is also trying to assist you, I mainly used Napco's

the panel won't support it. One fellow here insists it

confirm the panel will support it before you buy anything.

t confirmed it was going to work. I can confirm that Jim

was an external relay board. They won't dim or do "scenes"

itions and events (alarms, arming, disarming, zone status

ing fully automating alarm systems for use in Orthodox

ou can do a lot with the larger panels. Until we can get

suggest you hold off on buying one.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Thanks Robert. You are correct on your first point - it's not listed in the programming guide for the GEM-P816 (v10). However, it is listed in the installers guide for the GEM-P816 (v10, WI994C 3/04). On pages

7 and 14, it is explicitly listed as a supported module. My guess is that they do not reference it in the programming guide since it's to be treated exactly like an external relay module. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's explicitly listed in the installers guide as a supported module (written by Napco, who created the GEM-P816), there's no reason to believe it will not work. Do you disagree?
Reply to
yeahprolly

I agree. The problem is you have to program the system to use it. Without programming instructions we're still in the same boat. Looking at my copy of the programming instructions for the P816, I can't find any reference to the RB1000 or the RB1008.

This is a PITA because without those instructions we can't make it work. If you like I can call Napco tech support again and inquire.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

On Mar 21, 8:16?am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: .

Well If you're looking at the manual and it says you can, all you have to do is be able to get the PCD program to make the changes. That would seem to be the only obstacle at this point. Worst case would be that you have to make the changes via the keypad programing. (ech!)

The other concern that I have is that the panel is not going to allow you all the options for relay control that you are looking for. I just can't imagine that they would provide this panel with all the same relay options that the bigger panels have. You might want to read the instructions in detail or otherwise determine exactly what you're going to be able to do. If you're only going to be able to detect an alarm and not have individual zone sensing, for instance, it might not be worth your time and expense.

Reply to
Jim

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Thanks Robert. I guess my next stop is NAPCO technical support. Do you know if one needs to be a NAPCO dealer in order to call technical support? If not, I can do the alling so I don't need to bother you.

It would seem strange if they introduced support but then could only trigger events based on the alarm going off - if that was the case, it wouldn't differ any from simply hooking one of the X10 modules up to the bell terminals to trigger an X10 signal when the alarm sounded.

I could be wrong, but I'm hoping not... it's now becoming more of an exercise in education for me. :)

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
yeahprolly

Napco (like most alarm manufacturers) won't talk to end users. Their customers are alarm dealers so they only want to talk to us. The reason is they can explain something to someone like me or Jim and we will service a thousand customers -- or they can explain the same thing to a thousand users. Their cost of manpower for tech support would go through the roof if they suported end users directly. Also, most alarm manufacturers take the position that alarm installation and service is for professionals only. Since I cater to DIYers, obviously I have a different take on that subject. :^)

True. On the larger panels you have a lot of options to turn X10 devices on or off. There's still no dimming capability but for most folks that's not essential to alarm integration.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.