experience with Lorex or Strategic Vista CCTV remote connectivity prob.

I have a Lorex(Straegic VIsta) CCTV system, DVR,8 cams. It records well, and is supposed to be acccessable on line from a remote location with their netviewer software. This option only works about 10% of the time. Not good when you need to check in on things. I use DSL with a dynamic IP and 2 different DDNS sevices and a linksys router. Lorex can't help. Anyone else have this connectivity problem? Mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like you are having netwok issues, not necessarily CCTV issues. You are doing this by naming convention and not static IP address? What is your average ping time when the trouble happens? If you get more than 250ms you are going to have problems with video. Did you try to trace route the problem? Did you see if there is a QoS set in the router that is choking you? My solution would be two fold. One see if you can get it to work inside a simple network with a static IP. If that works odds are its not the CCTV gear. If you can try it outside the network using only a static IP. If that works see if you can put it (temporarily) somewhere with fat pipes to test it. If that works look to your ISP etc. It doesn't sound like you have CCTV issues but not enough reliable upstream bandwidth. I have to pay commercial rates to get a static IP at my residence. There is no way to cheap out with CCTV and get it to work that I have found. If your too cheap to go the static IP way find a young gamer in your area with a similar ISP set up and tell him you want to install a gaming server (like Quake or Unreal - instead of a CCTV system) with a dynamic IP. Guys that run gaming servers face the same issues as CCTV systems as far as networks go. He might be able to pull some strings to get your bandwidth issue resolved within your budget.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.