Entry phone door release - PAL WinTec

Pal WinTec offer a neat entry phone system. It introduces a ring tone, from a visitor pressing a button on the door panel, to all ordinary phones in the house including cordless ones. You can then answer it and talk to the visitor, and activate the door lock release if you want to let them in. It can work with more than one door eg front door and back door, using their PAL 102 system.

At least, that's what they claim. But their documentation is poor (the only detail is in Hebrew, not English!) and the system expects telephone wires to be only a single pair, ie 2 wires, and does not provide a standard plug to take the incoming phone or to output to the cordless box. Here in England, all the phone lines end with 4 wires, and don't seem to work with the WinTec 2-wire assumption

- any advice on how to connect them would be very welcome!

Reply to
PeterD
Loading thread data ...

Look up "DoorBell Fon" by ANAC. They have been selling a unit that does this for atleast ten years. I have a couple on the shelf in the shop.

4 wires? Are you sure they actually use 4 wires? The standard was to provide 4 wires for ages, but here in the States we only use 2 wires for most applications. Not at all sure how you Atlantic islanders implement telephone, but most modern phones only use two wires. Some ancient 2 party lines used three. Line on 2 and tip to ground and ring to ground for separate ringing voltage. Not sure maybe some weird form of ground start line with a separate ring to ground?

There are some UK techs that visit this group once in a while. Maybe one can take the time to educate us.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I know this is from ancient history but a LONG time ago, there was what I think was called the "Princess" phone that required 4 wires. I believe the extra two wires were used to power a light behind the dialing mechanism. They may be doing something like that with the extra two wires.

Reply to
Jim

Your correct about the 4 wires on princess phone red /green was voice circuit and yellow /black provided the 6 volt to light in phone. Those little plug in transformers caused all kinds of problems thou as they got old and forgotten.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Only phone which requires 4 wires I can think of is ones used on a key system unit red/green voice yellow /black power/data

Reply to
nick markowitz

(LOL) I got 3 4-wire phones in a box all of them are 2 line units. l1 - red/green l2 - black/yellow

yea I know, that's not what he was talking about, but still....... LOL

about those little potted 6vac wall transformers, a buddy was installing a new BA and kept finding these things all over this old house, said he didn't figure out what they were till he got down in the basement and found a box full of old telephones, some still had the hookup cord and the little transformer at the end..

RTS

Reply to
Rockytsquirrel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.