EMERGENCY HELP

I thought my english comprehension is bad but yours is much worse. I merely "stated" my budget and never bitched and whined like you accused me. You have serious perception problems.

You said "stop bothering us". Are you a spokesman for all the posters here ? And finally you accused me by posting anonymously. You are a very gutsy man/woman.

Reply to
harry
Loading thread data ...

Matt,

I already posted I am a novice in security systems and all I need was to capture the faces of the intruders on video so it can be used in court if needed. I dont need satellite surviellance or whatever that high tech. You responded that good cameras will cost around $300 each. If I buy 3 cameras for $900 and then another 1k - 1.5k for DVR, the total will come to between 2k-3k which is what I asked. Sounds pretty reasonable question to me. I dont understand why everybody is getting so upset. Thanks for your response anyway.

Reply to
harry

Ok, suggest me some good professionals in Santa Clara county, Sunnyvale, CA area who offer reasonably priced package for internet video surviellance.

Reply to
harry

I guess you missed the part where I suggested: "Contact three reputable dealers in your area (look through your local Yellow Pages). Check out their reps at the BBB (if they happen to be members, so much the better)."

Reply to
Frank Olson

Any proper DVR software should do it. The date and time need to be embedded in the video somehow. Most will do it visibly.

Reply to
Matt Ion

We're (well, I'm) not saying this is you... just was explaining, this is what we come up against all too often in this profession (and in fact, it happens in a lot of skilled trades), which is why everyone's been a bit leery of your question.

Reply to
Matt Ion

In today's world, a person could digitally alter a picture by putting a monkey's head on a horse and swear they video recorded this freak of nature. The old VCR tapes could be edited by erasing video, cutting and splicing, etc. None of this stuff would hold up. The manufacturers have a watermark on the recording, much like a watermark on good stationary. Mostly invisible but yet there. When someone tampers with the video image, they disrupt the watermark meaning it has been tampered with and not admissible to the courts. Software needs to be proprietary as well. Alot of these so called DVRs that are merely cheap computers with video capture cards and running off of Windows will not do it. Bill Gates never meant for Windows to be a security program. These type of machines will record for you but they are not meant for the real security world.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Bob,

Can you suggest some DVR recorders and software with watermark features. I will also look on videoinsight.net suggested by Matt last night.

Reply to
harry

Matt,

I do need the alarm monitoring system as a backup and as a possible deterrent. If I use three IP cameras, how much bandwidth internet connection do you think I will need if I use the DVR you suggested on videoinsight.net. My brother has 1.5Mbps DSL but he usually gets around

800Kbps - 1MBps and I will be getting Comcast most likely 3Mbps or 6Mbps. Is it better to upgrade to more bandwidth on my brothers connection since thats where the DVR will be. Would I be able to use the DVR on videoinsight.net to record at BOTH my apartment and my brothers place simultaneously. If IP cameras are better than CCTV cameras I dont mind shelling out an extra hundred bucks for each camera.

I already have a DLINK broadband 108Mbps wireless router with 4 ports on it. If wireless IP cameras are more expensive I will go for wired ones. Will there be any difference in the quality of recording between wired and wireless IP cameras. If itis too much work for me, I will use a local professional to set up the whole camera system. Let me know if you know of any good techs in SantaClara county, Sunnyvale, CA area.

Reply to
harry

Bandwidth will depend on how you set up your cameras - framerate, image size, compression, etc. It will also depend on whether the cameras can be set to transmit only on motion-detection, which would greatly cut down your bandwidth requirements.

Remember that most broadband connections have a much higher downstream bandwidth than upstream; your connection will only be as fast as the fastest part of the connection. I know some providers have been know to provide 3-5Mbps downstream but only 128Mbit upstream (ie. sending from your computer). Whatever upstream speed Comcast provides, it will probably be less than your brother's downstream, so that's what you need to concentrate on.

Yes, but you'd need a separate computer at each location.

The VideoInsight system does support network storage, which you may be able to utilize to set your brother's computer as a storage target without needing to have a complete DVR there; that would also allow you to control the data needs and motion detection within the DVR and have it simply send the data over the line. I haven't worked with that yet, though, so you may have to ask VI's people about how it work, as I believe it's primarily intended to use a SAN (storage area network) device rather than a remote computer.

They're not better AS SUCH... just have certain advantages in certain situations. In your case, if you're going to park the DVR at your apartment, you don't need to use IP cameras; standard CCTV cameras can plug directly into the DVR.

No.

I don't. If you were in Vancouver, BC, I'd be glad to help, as it sounds like a bit of a challenge :) Of course, if you want to fly me to Sunnyvale for a few days, I'd be willing, but that would probably kill your budget :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Actually, if you decide the VideoInsight system will fit your needs, you'll need to contact a local dealer anyway, as I don't believe they sell directly to the public. They may be able to give you some suggestions...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Yellow Pages. Google.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

True. FYI, the VideoInsight system does support watermarking. From the manual:

Enable Watermark: To ensure that video files have not been tampered, you can enable a Watermark to be applied to the video. Once enabled, a unique checksum is hidden on the file and upon reprocessing, will not match the original number if the file has been altered. Please note that this requires additional processing time at the end of each file and may not be necessary for every user.

Reply to
Matt Ion

What would be an ideal framerate, image size and compression for my requirements to get the face of the intruders clearly. Yes I want to set it up only on motion detection. The max upload comcast offers is from 384 to 768 Kbps for 4Mbps to 8Mbps download packages. Assuming the worst case, is 384 Kbps upload bandwidth enough to transmit two IP cameras to download on my brothers end which is anywhere from 768kbps to 1Mbps download speed and that should be enough I guess.

Thats fine. I have a personal laptop with 100GB storage with Intel Core duo processor and 1GB RAM and another unused desktop in my brother place to record the video feed on his side.

IP cameras are a requirement since I want to record it in my brothers place also. So then CCTV is not an option I guess.

I wish I can do that, but unfortunately I cant at this time :-((

Reply to
harry

Matt,

Can you please suggest what would be an ideal DLINK IP camera for my requirements since I am not knowledgeable abut the features I need. Based on your input I will probably buy three IP cameras and a DVR and hire a local security professional to install all of them since I already have the rest of the infrastructure in laptop, desktop, router with 4 ports, internet connections etc.

Reply to
harry

I suggest getting a job and not living in the f****ng 'hood. Your story is not consistent, you say you're unemployed - yet have a 2-3K budget in a f****ng apt. in a obviously not-so-savory area.

You more than likely are lying about the circumstance-- you are trying to illicit free info using a bullshit story. I don't what the real deal is, but you're lying -- that is for sure. Liars get no help here.

Reply to
G. Morgan

By hood if you are suggesting I am black, then you are wrong. I am not black and I dont wear any hood.

I said I will use credit cards. Even if not, why is it so odd for somebody who lives in an apartmnet to have 2-3k ? Is it that unusual ?

When and where did I say I live in not-so-savory area ?

What would I gain by lying.

I didnt know this forum has a payment section. Let me know where it is.

Did my bull shit story (if it is), kill any human being, cause any harm or destroy somebody's life or lose money or lose job for anyone ?

LoL.

There are very few human beings on this planet who can accurately figure out the truth and you are not one of those blessed ones.

Anyway I never experienced such personal abuse, ridicule and attacks for no reason in any other forum in 10 years.

Good luck to all.

Reply to
harry

IDEAL is 30fps (standard video), max size (probably 640x480) and lowest compression... "sufficient" is probably 2-3 fps at max frame size. Compression settings will depend on what video format(s) the chosen cameras support. It's a balancing act, with all the factors depending on your specific circumstances, and exact numbers can only be determined with actual usage.

You don't want to use your laptop as a DVR; a security DVR needs to be a dedicate system.

IP cameras are not REQUIRED for remote recording, IF you have a LOCAL DVR.

Here's what I would recommend:

Bring the "spare" PC to your place and set it up as a DVR there. Use standard CCTV cameras - I can't recommend any specifics without a LOT of information on the layout of your place, and it's really something that would be better done by someone who can actually inspect the place in person to determine camera placements and coverages.

Set up the DVR somewhere that it's hidden or not easily accessible, like in a closet or kitchen cabinet, and if possible even bolt it to the floor or something else immobile. If you have an alarm there with a siren going off, chances are a thief is not going to hang around long looking for a recording device; he's going to grab what he can and get the hell out.

If possible, use small or even covert cameras, so the perpetrator doesn't even realize there are cameras. If he doesn't know there are cameras, he won't know he's being recorded, and won't bother searching for the DVR.

If off-site backup is that critical, use a DVR software with a network-storage or network-backup option to send copies of your video to your brother's place; I assume he has a desktop PC of his own with an internet connection, which would be sufficient for this task, as such a use doesn't require a dedicated system. At worse you may need to buy him an extra hard drive for that machine to handle the storage.

Backup can be done by setting up a VPN (virtual private network) with his system and using a shared drive just as you would on a LAN, or by using software specifically intended for the purpose (I BELIEVE, from what I've read, that VideoInsight's "Archiver" utility will do this, but you should contact their support people to be sure).

This would help reduce the network bandwidth requirements, and would drastically improve your choice of cameras, your configuration flexibility, and most likely your bottom line as well.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Ummmmm ..... Do you have a twin brother or would you be related to someone by the name of Rodney ....?

Naaahhh ..... nevermind!

Reply to
Jim

Obviously, this is your first visit to ASA. Welcome!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.