EMERGENCY HELP

Soundy,

I have absolutely no choice but to set up the security. I am not rich but willing to spend reasonable amount of money. My brother lives a couple of my miles from my place and we have an extra currently unused computer at his place which I can use to record on over the internet. My budget varies from 2k to 3k depending on the fool proofness of the system. We both have broadband internet, I found a couple of door alarm system vendors who quoted me $100 for install and approx $30-35 per month for a two year contract. Suggest me what I have to do with the camera system on top of that door alarm system. I live in CA and checked out some IP cameras from dlink, panasonic in Frys Electronics ranging from $60 - $150 though I am not familiar with the technical details and features on them which is where I need some education and guidance.

There is a network camera from panasonic for $99.95 which has built in server/ip address, 10X digital zoom, motion sensor with email alert, night view mode in Frys Electronics.

Are these ip cameras any useful or is it better to go with more expensive better ones with more features.

Reply to
charrisons3
Loading thread data ...

My budget is 2-3k. Make some suggestions.

Reply to
harry

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Not everybody is rich and can afford 8-10k. As a matter of fact I dont even have a job now but I need the security setup with no choice. I already have an extra computer at my brothers place which I can use to record over the internet. Mine is just a one bedroom apartment and I don't think I need more than three cameras, two pointing at the door and one pointing at the patio window from inside. Give some suggestions please if I am wrong.

Reply to
harry

Well first of all, if you're going to be recording and watching the video remotely, do you really NEED a monitored alarm system? If not, that'll save you $30-$35/month (which sounds ridiculously high to me).

What you could do then, if you want to record at his place and not at yours, is just use IP cameras and a broadband router (I recommend D-Link), and a switch if you're going to have more than four cameras, to put your cameras "online", then put a DVR system that will record the IP cameras at your brother's place. Take a look at

formatting link
their system will work with IP cameras, and allow you remove viewing access via remote client and web interface.

I can't really compare the cameras you listed to the ones I'm used to dealing with, but I can tell you, don't cheap out on the cameras. $300 cameras typically ARE $200 better than $100 cameras.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Tell me why should it cost more than 2k-3k for video surviellance cameras and recording devices excluding the door alarm system. Its just a studio apartment with 13X18 ft room with one entrance door and one

6ftX8ft window.
Reply to
harry

No I said to win!

(how many will get that?)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Matt

Thanks for the kind response. I wont be watching it all the time on the internet. I just need the system to record it somewhere else also apart from my own apartment when somebody enters my studio apartment (13X17 room with one entrance door and one 6ftX8ft window) when I am not home. I want to capture a clear picture and video of the face of the intruders so I can use it in court if the need arises. I will try to shop around in the next couple of days and find somebody who can do the alarm system for 20-25 per month. How many video cameras do you think I need for a studio size of 13ft X 17ft. Do I need a DVR or can I use an existing computer with some RECORDING SOFTWARE that can capture the video feed on the internet. Both me and my brother have DLINK broadband wireless routers one is 108Mbps and the other is 54Mbps. Which brand IP cameras with what features do you suggest. Can I use my DLINK broadbnad router with 4 ports as a switch for the cameras ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of IP cameras compared to regular CCTV cameras ? (not sure if it is stupid question).

Reply to
harry

Easy enough...

Thus my question again, do you NEED a monitored alarm? If you don't need the monthly monitoring, you don't need to pay the monthly fee. Just something to consider...

With only two points of entry, I'd think two cameras would suffice...

You'd need software that can record from multiple IP cameras... typically that means DVR software that's designed for IP camera support.

Wireless isn't necessary, unless you want to use wireless cameras as well, but in a space that small, it's probably not worth the extra expense.

D-Link makes several IP cameras as well, I've always found their products solid and reliable.

Yup... and additional switch is needed only if you need more network ports than the router provides, but with only two cameras, that shouldn't be an issue.

Advangtages are the the ability to access them directly over the 'net without needing to run video cabling. Main disadvantage is the cost. The cameras may also need to reduce the quality of the video to not overload the bandwidth of your connection; straight video cameras recording to a local DVR will always provide superior quality (frame size, compression, and frame-rates).

Reply to
Matt Ion

The point they were making is that all too often, people come to the professionals wanting a "high-quality" surveillance system to do cool things like they see in the movies nd on TV (zooming in from a satellite to count someone's nose hairs, for instance), but they think it'll be cheap because they saw a little setup at Costco with a small B&W TV, recorder, and four small B&W cameras for about $250, and they think they can get something pro-grade for not much more... but when the cameras themselves start at $250, and a digital recorder starts at $1000 (and you don't even get a PC-based system for that), they tend to get a little upset.

When you start off asking for pro advice and pro gear, expect to see pro prices.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Contact three reputable dealers in your area (look through your local Yellow Pages). Check out their reps at the BBB (if they happen to be members, so much the better). Check their status with respect to licensing (as it applies to your location). Have all three send reps to review your concerns. Have them all quote on the same package so you're comparing "apples to apples". Avoid using your credit cards if you can (the interest rate is prohibitive). Larger Dealers may have a lease option (or you can contact a leasing agency or your friendly banker directly with the proposal you finally decide on).

Everything you've mentioned/requested in the way of equipment is do-able, but it *is* expensive. It's also not something you should be undertaking on your own if your personal safety is at risk. Let an expert handle it for you.

Good luck!!

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

First, you come on here asking for "absolutely foolproof security." Guess what -- there ain't no such thing. Much better protected places than your apartment have been successfully robbed. All you can do is "pretty damn good" security. It's like computer encryption: PGP is short for "pretty good privacy," not "perfectly guaranteed privacy."

Second, when you ask professionals for advice and they give it to you, you want to whine and bitch about how you can't afford it, and you want to argue about why it shouldn't cost more than two, maybe three grand.

Since you don't seem to take our advice seriously, may I suggest that you go to the store, buy whatever you think is appropriate, and stop bothering us. You've gotten the professionals' opinion, with which I am in complete agreement: what you want just ain't gonna happen for the money you have to spend. If you don't like that answer, that's too damn bad.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Will the recorded video be watermarked? If not, using it in court may be a waste of time.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yes, Cox will just love him for that. js

Reply to
alarman

Not many....ya follow? js

Reply to
alarman

Blue note? js

Reply to
alarman

I think Blue Note was one of the horses in a previous race.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

What is water marking and how do I do that.

Reply to
harry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.