Electric door strike

I am looking for an electric door strike to work in conjunction with a fixed tongue lock. The requirement is for the strike to allow the lock tongue to pass freely when the door is closing but prevent it from opening again unless activated.

All the strikes I have seen so far require that the door lock tongue retract as the door closes to get past the fixed release plate on the strike.

Do these particular strikes have a name, as I am unable to search for one without knowing what it is actually called.

Regards

Rohan

Reply to
aaa
Loading thread data ...

If you can't find it at Rutherford, I don't think you'll find it. You might want to explore some options with their technical support people concerning the "6 series" locks that have a "keeper switch" you could use to de-energize the strike and keep it open until the dead-bolt pulls it back in when the door closes. Unfortunately if someone manually moves to strike plate back to the locked position, the strike will re-energize and the dead bolt will keep the door from closing. I don't know of any door strike that will do what you want.

formatting link
Good luck!

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I believe Hes makes a strike that will fit the bill. It has two flappers that look lit the flappers on a pinball machine that will allow the toungue to go one way but prevent passage back until realeased.Look at HES 9600.

Good hunting

Reply to
jewellfish

Locknetics used to have such a strike. I installed one in conjunction with a Napco 2600 on the home of their (then current) president in Connecticut a number of years ago. I don't know if they still make it though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thats the shot.

Now to see if I can afford it :-)

Thanks to everybody.

Rohan

Reply to
Rohan

They're not that expensive. The HES 9600 series sell retail from about $280 up.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Don't get too happy. If I read your original request the HES 9600 will not work for your application since the flippers are spring loaded and will assume the closed position when the door is closed. Thus not allowing the latch to re-enter. Sorry for the bad news.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I don't think there is anything that's designed to accommodate a dead bolt right out of the box. He might have to use the latch keeper and position switches to control the plate until the dead bolt re-enters the strike. Don't know if that's even possible and it may reduce the life of the solenoid if the door's held open for long periods. If the OP is concerned about someone fiddling with the lock set, why not use a mortise lock and put a big metal plate on the door that will cover everything when the door's closed?

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

me too.

Reply to
Chub

What year was this??

Reply to
Frank Olson

The HES 1006 can be configured to release a 1" deadbolt. The movable portion of the strike flips out of the way until the door is closed, at which time the deadbolt pulls it back to the locked position.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

What happens if someone manually moves it back while the door is open? Will that prevent door from shutting? Seems to me that the solenoid has to stay energized until the deadbolt returns to the "lock" position. In this instance, I think you can configure most strikes that employ latch keeper and position switches to do this. The problem is that you'll have to get one with a solenoid designed for extended duty.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Strange, I just installed one of these 1006 units and don't recall that being possible. When the solenoid is energized it will release the strike so it will swing open. I don't remember a rear capture portion moving with the strike. As I recall it was a just the front strike portion that moved and was spring loaded to return to home position. If it can do what you indicate that would be a great strike to use.

Reply to
ABLE_1

I've actually done this on many occasions, so I'm not just reading crap out of a catalog. What you need to keep in mind about the 1006 strike is that there are a ton of options available. You're right that the standard strike is spring-loaded. But you can order faceplate kits to change that, or order the strike with either the E option or one of the A options, depending on whether you want to release a cylindrical deadbolt or a mortise deadbolt. In this configuration, the strike is no longer spring-loaded. It opens and stays open until the deadbolt returns it to the locked position. This is an easy field conversion if you have the faceplate kit.

Now, here is the main problem with this setup.

When people leave the area, their natural impulse is to manually unlock the deadbolt. That lets them exit, only at that point the door isn't locked. This is less of a problem if you are using a mortise lock that has a locking deadlatch as well as the deadbolt, but it can be a problem if you are just using a deadbolt. A sign can help ("Push button to exit"), if only a few people will be using it.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Good to know. When I am faced with this problem in the future I will remember the 1006 as my first choice.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.