DVR Cards

This is true although neither will a company that might not be around as long as GE, Honeywell or Pelco

I understand moving the production to Mexico, expanding production here in the US is very costly which is why they do it

Gutting the Tech support was stupid however knowing Gladewater (nice small town) if I were in tech support for Caddx I certainly wouldn't want to move to Minnesota or wherever they do it now, I haven't talked to GE's tech support in ages so I don't know where it is.

They poured a lot of money into improving it, much of the problems they had were pre-Tyco. If they hadn't been purchased by Tyco they would likely be out of business by how since they were having financial problems at the time. The biggest problem with the Tyco buyout was the conflicts that occured by other companies using those panels and now supporting the competition which they didn't want to do.

The Street Smart techs went to Secure Wireless

At the ISC show in 2001 (the monkey show) I met the president of Street Smart and he was showing me the DSC/ITI/Caddx/Napco sensors they were making, it turns out after that Honeywell got cold feet because of potential lawsuits from using their frequencies/proprietary coding formats and wouldn't further that project which is why the original SS guys left to form Secure Wireless. Honeywell/Ademco didn't kill them they just did not want to get into a potential mess which DID happen to Secure Wireless when they finally put out those sensors later. If you notice from the Secure Wireless website they no longer offer Ademco compatible sensors.

Understand and agree in some cases, look what happened to FBI after Ademco/Pittway bought them however some things aren't as clear cut as others

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

Thanks. I never worked on airport security systems. I wonder if they consider Venice Municipal at risk. I fly in and out of there all the time.. :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

What do you think of Linux based systems?

BobbyD

J. Sloud wrote:

Reply to
bdolph

Was it really that long ago?

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Time flies, huh. js

Reply to
alarman

Yeah, I think you're right, 2002. js

Reply to
alarman

Naw, I think he's running the INS now. js

Reply to
alarman

Now that I think about it wasn't it 2002? Damn monkeys have a way of screwing up memories

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Makes you wonder what the monkey is doing these days, maybe he's putting together Simon panels

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It's only considered "at risk" when you cross the airport perimeter there "Bucky"... and that's not including the massive wind shear from all that hot air you frequently emit... ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Usually larger airports JFK, LAX, ATL, etc.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Many of the embedded units use some version of Linux as an O/S. Windoze isn't stable enough for security applications, especially when the system is connected to a network with outside connections.

As a side note, the video industry is changing, and the traditional DVR may become obsolete relatively soon. There's a push to store video at the device or "on the edge" of the network. Megapixel cameras or traditional cameras with Ethernet encoders at the camera will enable recording devices to be hung anywhere on the network. Client/ Server configurations with RAID storage enable you to secure your video on super-reliable servers and still access it with relatively simple, inexpensive windows-based clients. Once encoded, video can be managed digitally or decoded and managed using tradtional analog processing equipment.

Most of the major CCTV companies have bought into this concept. We've used the Verint products, some AD, and Bosch's VIDOS recently. Given enough bandwidth, the technology is nice. Bandwidth and network integrity seem to be major issues, although storing video at the camera end cures some of this.

Reply to
J. Sloud

What about Bradley International ? Blundering into controlled airspace in a lost Cessna. If that happened today we'd see you on TV being forced down by F15's what a hoot.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Those I only fly into on commercial airplanes. I like Venice, Ft Meyers, Sarasota and Lakeland. They're all relatively quiet.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.