DVR Cards

It is interesting that the political activities of the other two firms considered were not published, never mind the fact that the firm awarded the contract has an established tract record with other airports around the country, but hey, if there is dirty pool, it will come out in the wash. Lets not overlook the fact that recently the country seems to be overrun with conspiracy theories of which the media is usually right in the middle of it. Why do you think there are no good candidates for public office anymore?

formatting link
Lower bids had nothing to do with it. Since Mayor Hahn is now gone maybe

Reply to
Bob Worthy
Loading thread data ...

I'm not pissed, or even upset in the slightest. Guys like you are a dime a dozen. It's ok, I'll make my point perfectly clear....who gives a shit? Here's a complete list of people who do:

contributions",when

formatting link
>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.

formatting link
>> >> We bid on that one too.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Are you pissed because you did not get a government contract like I did? Or the LAX one, or that Big Egyptian government contract, didn't know about that one did you? I bet you use Geovision don't you. Or is it the one that failed to work for the border patrol. Is that why you're pissed.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Who do you work for, again?

Some of your misinformation is amazing.

I make a point to never discuss specific projects that I participate in, mostly out of respect for my customers. However, my company has a sole source contract with the US Marshals Service to secure every federal courthouse in the US, we secure around 100 airports (19 Cat X.), we've got multi-million dollar contracts with the ATF, DEA, various DHS projects, etc.

We've done video work for all of the above, and I can confidently say we're well aware of what's out there.

Reply to
J. Sloud

I agree that in any technology based industry there are a lot of good ideas found in the start-ups. However, DVR's are not very complicated and the company standing behind the product is just as important as the product - big or small. It's great that you have the time to research and test the upstarts' products. Let me know if you find a winner. My reply was meant to the poster claiming his DVR is so superior to everything else out there.

Reply to
J. Sloud

We typically use embedded systems like a Bosch Divar or GE SVDR or DVMRe for smaller applications. Larger systems, like an airport for instance (since one of our posters thinks they all still use VCR's), probably would benefit from a server/ workstation/ client/ recorder configuration such as Verint. I'm no fan of Windoze-based DVR's. In addition to being inherently unstable, we've found many units to be prone to network worms, especially when the IT dept. doesn't include the machines on regular update because they are not "their" boxes. Even the PC based boxes that will show a 4 CIF picture still do not compare to a live shot from an embedded unit.

Reply to
J. Sloud

It is called Pay-To-Play. We are and was then an incumbent contractor with LAWA so I have first hand knowledge that it is true. It is documented here and has been all over the news

formatting link
Lower bids had nothing to do with it. Since Mayor Hahn is now gone maybe things will change.

Reply to
pcbutts1

What is Cat X?

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I don't have the time, but I have to make it anyway. I don't want service problems any more than you do. I understand ADT needs to use mega-corp. products, it's the corporate mentality, and that's fine. But from what I have seen in my limited DVR experience, there are better DVR's, MUCH less expensive, with more features and better support that GE, Pelco, etc.

js

Reply to
alarman

What happened was LAWA gave the contract out without proper bids. They did not give the incumbents notice or a chance to re-compete as is required by law. They got caught, an investigation was started and we are where we are today. The contract was put back up for bid earlier this year, it has not been awarded yet. What the City of LA needs to do is what it required by the Government as outlined here

formatting link
Homeland Security did contacts us, in fact I spoke in detail with her over the phone about DVR's and there use, she knew nothing, but we were not part of their selection. I have a feeling they will be calling back, hopefully.

Reply to
pcbutts1

The one I'm using has been around a while, and they're expanding. Anything is possible. I had trouble with one unit, called them, and had an advance replacement delivered the next day. Will GE do that for me? Pelco? Honeywell? I don't think so.

Look what GE has done to Caddx. Gutted the technical dept., and sent production to Mexico. What Tyco did to DSC. Street Smart went to Ademco. I used to call and talk to the Street Smart techs., now I have to deal with Ademco if I have a question. Shit. I hate mega-corp. bullshit. js

Reply to
alarman

The trick is finding the good ones out of the bad ones. At any show you see so many start-ups. What catches your attention? Which are the start-ups that allow you to try the product?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know........

BobbyD

alarman wrote:

Reply to
bdolph

True but how many of those companies will be gone next year? I understand the corporate mentality and there are very valid reasons for it.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Show me where I said that.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Well then why do you get upset when I mention the corruption that is out there? surely you must see it. How many of those airports and Government installations use DVR's.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Offsite contractors.

Reply to
pcbutts1

I would have to agree with that. I'm not a big fan of Operating Systems in control, especially MS. The GE DVMRe unit's fit about 95% of my installs, and the device is a rock solid performer. It's what I use in my Central Station for Video Verification. I know they're not going anywhere, and you know Kalatel's history. When you tell me something is embedded...it gets my attention.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Category X airports are thosed deemed to be most "at risk."

Reply to
J. Sloud

The new installations all use DVR's and most others are being retrofitted.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Reality is big and small companies come and go. More often they're just swallowed up by bigger companies. The MM has been predicting my company's failure for seven years now.

Come to think of it, where the is he? Perhaps they reopened Marlboro... :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.