DVAC - Line..Canada

Any canadian dealers familiar with DVAC installations. I have a need to install a DVAC circuit for a Fire system and have been told by ADI & Burtek that there panels do not have DVAC interfaces. I called Tried... they no longer make the DVAC interface for there panels... I don't think getting an I/P link is viable yet as the people doing our monitoring arenot set up for this technology? Any comment or input..

MLL

Reply to
Pogo
Loading thread data ...

Would cell backup be an option? I'm not sure if that counts as a phone line for fire systems... which ULC requires two of.

Reply to
CH®IS

DSC's GSM communicator is ULC listed for fire alarm monitoring. It's set up very similarly to the old Skyroute system (through "Connect 24").

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Pogo

DSC PC4020CF with the PC4401 is what we use. It takes a couple of weeks for the DVAC installation and your CS has to order it for you, very expensive.

Other ULC option includes DSC PC1832 + TLink + DSL, or DSC PC1832 + GSM3055. Everything has to be in EMT including the antenna cable.

Reply to
AJ

Thanks AJ, We have ordered several DVAC lines in the past, these are not new to us. We have used Europlex panels in the past but I don't want to go down this path with them again. My local Tri-ed/DSC contacts could not confirm if they still had a ULC Dvac panel... I am also hearing rumour that I/P monitoring will likely not get UL cerification so I am trying to hold out till some clarity is shed on this whole DVAC situation, Ma Bell has continually threatened to discontinue it's DVAC offering but nothing yet has taken it place...Yes GSM is a good fit but not in all application especially where antenae placement is not optimal...

Again, thanks for the info

Reply to
Pogo

Talk to Art. Talk only to Art. Steve will do in a pinch, though. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I can't speak to ULC, but the US version of UL has accepted internet monitoring for years now. So my guess is that ULC will get with the program eventually, though maybe not soon enough to solve your problem.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

True, we are usually several year off the US tech trends in the Biz world..or so my experience has been. I recall doing an inquiry last year with DSC/Sureguard and only 4 I/P station receiver were in operation. Two of which were in BC and the other I can recall but the BC units were under beta test.. Schedule "C" circuits "DVAC from Bell has been slated for decommissioning for the last 8years. I like the prospect of I/P monitoring but not the reliability of the attached DSL routers and synking problems associated with dynamic I/P's to the burg panels. Remote access is a big concern, does this mean we will need static I/P's or will all panels be DDNS. If DDNS whom will do the hosting... How is the US version of this being benchmarked..what is the forerunner as far as Panel manufacturers?

Reply to
Pogo

Yes, Ontario. Ottawa to be precise. Local Tri-ed Office not longer has the technical depth it use to, unfortunately.

Reply to
Pogo

Sure, if you can contend with not knowing whether it's communication with central or not. Kind of a dumb design too, if you ask me and on top of that they wouldn't even admit or notify anyone that they had a problem with non supervision. The worst installation manual I ever saw.

Reply to
Jim

DMP is the pioneer in IP monitoring in the US. They're an "exclusive dealer" company, so you can't buy their stuff through distribution. But technologically, they are at the top of the heap. They sell in Canada, and I see that their flagship panel is ULC listed as Level V for their network burg monitoring. But, it only is listed for residential fire in Canada, which probably relates to the ULC listing issue you mentioned earlier regarding commercial fire. In the US, it's even approved for commercial fire use in New York City (network + dialer).

Their panels work with either static or dynamic IPs. Some installing companies prefer to force people to get static IPs, though. The network panels come standard with a backup dialer, in fact their latest version can support up to eight different communications paths: IP, dialer, radio, etc.

If you're curious, most of the documentation is available at

formatting link

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

replying to Pogo, Trevyn wrote: "Ma Bell has continually threatened to discontinue it's DVAC offering but nothing yet has taken it place..." This is NOT TRUE! I just spoke to the Product Manager at Bell Canada: Bruno Breault... there is no technological & price equivalent existing at this time and should Bell even want to, we'd first have to file with the CRTC as it is a tariff product.

Reply to
Trevyn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.